Gillian Sanger

What are your personal barriers to meditation and how do you work through these?

You are right Reena. AM and PM meditations are very different. I have much "calmer" sits in the evening...but the AM is when I have the time. and I find it sets the tone for a more mindful day. However if I have had a challenging day - I'll sit for just 10 minutes and that helps turn the "volume" down for the rest of the night.

• Like 1

Awareness and integration.  By this I mean -- adjusting my daily awareness to encompass more than just the routine "to do's" of life; but being aware that I will benefit by giving myself the gift of even 5 minutes of breathing meditation.  Of course, for me, increasing my awareness is still a challenge, as I've only been practicing a few months.  Integrating, or perhaps "weaving in" might be a better term, the discipline of practicing meditation is another aspect, though it seems to go hand-in-glove with awareness.  I'm still exploring the subtle nuances of what this is for me.

• Like 4

@Tempus Hi, I do have challenges with to integrate mindfulness into my daily life , seem like sometimes / many times just goes out of the window and I'm mindless ... I  meaning I`m  on  auto pilot, but I`m really happy when I notice that I wandered away and then I just stop for a moment and enjoy that I noticed that I noticed. I would say small steps. I also  noticed that consistency is very important to my practice, I only do 10 min meditation mornings and 15 min evenings as I`m a beginner too , I feel its not about the minute its about a real quality I spend being mindful, I will be always able to increase the meditation  time when I have a good foundation. 

May you be safe, healthy and live your life with ease.

Helga

• Like 4

You know?...  I started to write what the barriers are for me, but it all looked so dark and bleak in writing that I could not put it "out there".  Nothing of sweetness and light.   I do appreciate this site and check in most daily.  My failure to reply to questions "publicly" is due to what I mentioned, and certainly not due to lack of interest!  

Thank you all for being  there.

Connie

• Like 1

You know?...  I started to write what the barriers are for me, but it all looked so dark and bleak in writing that I could not put it "out there".  Nothing of sweetness and light.   I do appreciate this site and check in most daily.  My failure to reply to questions "publicly" is due to what I mentioned, and certainly not due to lack of interest!  

Thank you all for being  there.

Connie

I forgot to mention that this is not a new concept or practice to me.  Have "worked" on mindfulness ( simply a newer term) since the early '70's.  I should say "struggled with" due to life, grief and medical issues.  

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing @Connie. It's know it's not always easy to put our feelings and experience to words (for so many reasons), so I really appreciate your sharing in this public space.

What are some of your preferred practices? I imagine you must have encountered many over the years.

A barrier for me was the unrealistic expectation I set to do too much in my mornings. but over time (and recently) I've found that evening practice just fits best with my flow, and I've come in to a regular practice to end my day/evenings. It just feels natural there. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ro H. said:

A barrier for me was the unrealistic expectation I set to do too much in my mornings. but over time (and recently) I've found that evening practice just fits best with my flow, and I've come in to a regular practice to end my day/evenings. It just feels natural there. 

I think this is so important. There are so many assumptions we make about meditation and mindfulness practice - how it should look like, when we should practice, how long we should practice for. But as one of my yoga teachers said: the best practice is the one you do.

• Like 1

A barrier for me was always I have to look the part, have the right clothes, the right space, feel right before I do it.  I would have reasons I don't do it.  I have so much time on my hands now, being disabled-physically it is a tendency of mine to say I will do it later.  Fact is, once I begin I want to stay in that mode all day.  Procrastination appears and then nothing is done. 

I broke my foot and ankle last March 30.  It seemed like non stop meditation.  Trying to get through the pain.  I tried to be home for a week before surgery but fell and crawled a lot in and out of my home.  I had to call ambulance because fell 3 more times.  After surgery I was put in a Rehab Center for a month to make sure I did not try to get up.  

I have been trying the last 2 months to get back into some kind of normalcy but it is very slow.  

On 12/17/2019 at 11:13 PM, Paige PIlege said:

A barrier for me was always I have to look the part, have the right clothes, the right space, feel right before I do it.  I would have reasons I don't do it.  I have so much time on my hands now, being disabled-physically it is a tendency of mine to say I will do it later.  Fact is, once I begin I want to stay in that mode all day.  Procrastination appears and then nothing is done. 

I broke my foot and ankle last March 30.  It seemed like non stop meditation.  Trying to get through the pain.  I tried to be home for a week before surgery but fell and crawled a lot in and out of my home.  I had to call ambulance because fell 3 more times.  After surgery I was put in a Rehab Center for a month to make sure I did not try to get up.  

I have been trying the last 2 months to get back into some kind of normalcy but it is very slow.  

Thanks your open and honest sharing! I think this is a huge barrier for a lot of us - needing things to be 'just right' (inner state included!!) before we start practicing.

And slow and steady is certainly the way to go sometimes. Wishing you well!

• Like 1