Gillian Sanger

What are your personal barriers to meditation and how do you work through these?

This week's question:

What are your personal barriers to meditation and how do you work through these?

Let us know what makes it difficult for you to meditate and any tips or tricks you use to overcome the challenge. Share your responses and support others in the community by responding to their answers as well.

Motivation is one barrier and just taking the time.

i try to do meditation every morning as I get out of bed to set my intentions for the day.

i also try to do meditation before bed as my mind is constantly on the go.

have a great day Colleen

• Like 3

Challenge  I face is I have in my left leg sometimes a shooting pain that I can’t describe , it feels like all the energy focus on one single point , I feel it when is going to come one ( not always happens) and I noticed my mind is already built a resistance, I’m body tenses up and from that moment it’s very difficult to observe , breath into it or let it go. I would love to know what is it or what to do about it. 
I really tried to look at it from the detached view but the pain becomes intense and I have stretch my leg , and most of the time I’m stopping my meditation. 
It maybe something to do that I’m on my feel a lot I work in dr office and walking, standing all day or I’m developing a restless leg syndrome. This is just my theory. 

Any insights? Or any idea ? 
Thank you 

Helga 

10 hours ago, Colleen said:

i also try to do meditation before bed as my mind is constantly on the go.

I also find that meditation before bed is really helpful - even if not formal meditation. Sometimes I just consciously spend time feeling into whatever energy is currently within me, and then visualizing the energy I would like to wake the next morning with. It's been very helpful for me 🙂

8 hours ago, Helga said:

Challenge  I face is I have in my left leg sometimes a shooting pain that I can’t describe , it feels like all the energy focus on one single point , I feel it when is going to come one ( not always happens) and I noticed my mind is already built a resistance, I’m body tenses up and from that moment it’s very difficult to observe , breath into it or let it go. I would love to know what is it or what to do about it. 
I really tried to look at it from the detached view but the pain becomes intense and I have stretch my leg , and most of the time I’m stopping my meditation. 
It maybe something to do that I’m on my feel a lot I work in dr office and walking, standing all day or I’m developing a restless leg syndrome. This is just my theory. 

Any insights? Or any idea ? 
Thank you 

Helga 

My first question Helga is - how are you sitting for meditation? Does the pain arise no matter what position you are in?

And have you had the pain looked at by a doctor? There could be something that needs to be addressed more conventionally.

In terms of how to manage it during meditation, I've sometimes found that simply ALLOWING myself to move for a brief moment, without judgment, is the release that I need. Have you tried exploring mindful movement before returning to stillness?

Also - here's a section on 'pain' on MindfulnessExercises.com - maybe something in here will resonate with you. https://mindfulnessexercises.com/?s=pain

• Like 1

Well

this might not be the answer. But I swim and breath to every stroke, that ends up in mediation and almost a hypnotic feeling that I don’t feel or here anyone area me. But I’m from Australia where swimming is accessible. But for me, that transforms me. 
hope that helps. 
Best wishes & positivity your way 🌺

amanda

• Like 2

Hi Amanda 

I will try it out , I live in Florida so weather usually nice and warm and I have a pool here . Good idea . 
Thank you  🙂

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

My first question Helga is - how are you sitting for meditation? Does the pain arise no matter what position you are in?

And have you had the pain looked at by a doctor? There could be something that needs to be addressed more conventionally.

In terms of how to manage it during meditation, I've sometimes found that simply ALLOWING myself to move for a brief moment, without judgment, is the release that I need. Have you tried exploring mindful movement before returning to stillness?

Also - here's a section on 'pain' on MindfulnessExercises.com - maybe something in here will resonate with you. https://mindfulnessexercises.com/?s=pain

Hi Gillian 

Thank you 

I sit on a chair or sometimes on a cushion cross legged, it’s alway in my right leg , same spot , but not happening during every meditation, I really have to pay attention when or what I’m doing before, could be stress related or I need more stretching ( do more yoga ). 

Today I did my meditation and was completely fine . Thank you for the info and your help , I will read about it . 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:28 PM, Amanda said:

But I’m from Australia where swimming is accessible. But for me, that transforms me. 

I like that you've brought awareness to the notion that mindfulness does not have to come in the form of formal meditation. Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

My current predominating barrier to meditation is my phone! I am trying to be more mindful of my usage in the morning. Since first thing in the morning is my ideal time to practice mindfulness of some form, it's so important that I catch myself before getting consumed by social feeds, emails, etc.

@Ro H. and I were talking about this in another thread, and without making any more excuses, I'm going to look into an iPhone friendly app blocker right now 🙂

• Like 1

I am a live-in caregiver for a sweet woman with dementia. Because of the nature of my job, I have to be totally available 24/7. I work 12 days on, 2 days off. I am also responsible for her at night. It is rare when she sleeps through the night, so I have a baby monitor in my room.

I tried in the beginning (2 1/2 years ago) to sit and meditate, but that kind of focus here is almost impossible. I have adapted though. Instead of sitting for mindfulness, I work recitation of a mantra into my walking routine. This I do while she is napping. I walk in a circle through rooms where I pass by her every minute or so. She has been known to just walk out the front door and down the street if left unattended, so this is how I have adapted.

And I am mindful of emotions and the thoughts they stem from throughout the day.

Edited by luma
needed to add something.
  • Like 2

@luma I love how you've adapted mindfulness practices to suit your needs and present situation. I think this is a really valuable lesson and reminder that mindfulness doesn't need to take a particular form. And the practice of observing thoughts and emotions throughout the day is indicative of how we can weave mindfulness into our most habitual modes of being.

• Like 1

I meditate every morning during the week and found that sleepiness was a hindrance. I would get up early and sit and then get ready for work afterwards with my husband.

NOW - I get up with him...wash my face...have a coffee ....and then sit :).

If I find that I am still sleepy on a particular morning...I slightly open my eyes. There is an instant infusion of alertness....without distraction.

• Like 2