Ro H.

Newbie Confessions: My phone was setting my tone for the day

I'm new to mindfulness, but I've been slowly removing unhealthy habits from my daily routine and replacing them with with healthier practices.  One seemingly small change made a huge difference in how I start my day. I mention it here because I often see suggestions (elsewhere) of using mindfulness apps and practices for starting your day - but they don't typically mention this. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same or a similar experience. 

Every morning  I'd wake up feeling anxious and a little chaotic. Knowing there was stuff to get done, I'd reach for my phone thinking that if I just quickly checked my calendar, emails, notifications, etc - I'd know what was on my plate and then I'd be able to continue my morning with a sense of calm. If you're not new to this, you probably know where this is going 😉...  I never reached that calm, and it didn't matter if I made a list the evening prior, or had a relaxation routine before bed (thanks, GAD!). I repeated that chaotic morning routine for years 😬

Now that I've been trying to create a blank canvas and clear my mind in the mornings I realized that my phone was helping me to set an anxious tone for my entire day. Now I just use my phones DND settings alongside another app that prevents me from opening my email, calendar, etc during hours I set in advance. So, even if I forget and pick up my phone from habit, I can't start myself down my path of distractions. (which also allows me to be kinder to myself, in a way)

It has been about two weeks now, and long story short - I finally realized that for me, a quiet phone allowed for a quiet mind, which in turn made learning new techniques and embracing moments throughout the day feel a little more natural.

Edited by Ro H.
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this @Ro H.! I can certainly relate. 

Sometime this summer, I made a new habit of putting my phone in airplane mode overnight and then not taking it off airplane mode until after I'd gotten out of bed and practiced yoga and/or meditated.

However, a few weeks ago, my boyfriend received an emergency call in the middle of the night and luckily his ringer was on to receive it. Since then, I've been afraid of taking my phone completely offline incase there was an urgent call I had to take (we never think anything imminent will ever happen to us until it does).

So, all of that said, what is the app that you use? This would be really helpful for me so that I could keep my phone active while still being unable to access certain apps in the morning.

• Like 2

Sure, the app is called (try not to laugh) App Block

Looks like it's only available for Android phones, but I'm sure there is a similar app for iPhone. 

Also I'm not sure if this is helpful, but on Androids the DND settings allow you to select when a call can get through your silence times. For example,  if any number calls back-to-back, their 2nd ring will get through.  

I'd much rather use the App Block though, so I can keep my ringers on for emergencies just as you've described. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

Ah yes, I think I have a similar setting on my phone to allow a second call from the same number to come through. But I'm definitely going to look into an iPhone friendly app blocker 🙂

• Like 2

Confession.  I need to get over the fear of falling.  After the last one (my 3rd time) last April, I have been very slow and intentionally not going outside by myself for fear of falling.   My future looks bad.  I fractured in 2010 and 2014 and now complete break of foot and ankle.  I know what I need to do I just need to get to it.  I had major surgery and had screws removed in June last year.  Now I am so out of wack. I am trying to keep my wits about me in good humor and yet really need to get a healthy regimen going.   I need a fitness accountability partner.  Soon I will find a partner of fitness.  Maybe I will propose a program or course to create this. 

On 1/13/2020 at 1:18 PM, Paige PIlege said:

I need a fitness accountability partner.  Soon I will find a partner of fitness.  Maybe I will propose a program or course to create this. 

I believe that course/program would be beneficial to so many, and you may discover new things about yourself as you create it. 🙂 Thank you for sharing your confession, and I'm hoping 2020 will bring forth the increased healing, mobility,  and strength.

• Like 2