Gillian Sanger

Creative arts & mindfulness

Thanks, Ladies,

I'll share my Secret: It's called the Prisma App. on my phone...any Photo on your Phone you can turn into Prisma Art!!! So I cant take all the credit, tho, the original Photos are my own & Copyrighted to www.FinestFotos.com, my Photography Business.

Edited by Rick @ FinestCoaching
  • Like 1

"FinestCoaching is all about Connecting the Dots".

So, Rick, I downloaded the Prisma app. I thought it might help me get a feel for how to make my paintings look more "painterly" instead of basically like my reference photos. We will see. Thanks for telling us about it!

• Like 1

• Administrators

I have noticed lately that my creative energy has not been as high as I know it can be. I started to wonder about the link between mindfulness and creativity and after a bit of researching, I came across a quote by Ellen J Langer that reads:

‚ÄúMindfulness can encourage creativity¬†when the focus is on the process and not the product.‚ÄĚ

As I read those words, a lightbulb went off: I’ve been treating my creative work as if it were a goal that needs to be accomplished, something to check off my to-do list. What might happen if I tune into my creative work (which is primarily writing for me) with a sense of curiosity, allowing it to unfold as it does and enjoying the process?

Do you have creative projects on the go? How is the energy flowing through them presently? Have you tried bringing mindfulness to this creative work?

I am going to experiment with this in the few days - maybe meditating before writing... practicing free-flow journaling... noting any self-judgments or pressure that arises and softening that. I will let you know how it goes.

• Administrators

For the writers out there, a few creative writing prompts that invite you to convey your experience of this moment:

1. Write about the quality of light coming through your window right now, no matter if it's day or night. (From Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg).

2. Use 'This moment...' as a prompt, a place to start (also from the beautiful book mentioned above).

3. Write about what your heart feels like in this moment.

4. Describe a single object that's close to you right now. Examine it carefully, curiously. Tell about it. Then do the same for something you can see in the distance.

RE: Your Quote, Gillian, 

‚ÄúMindfulness can encourage creativity¬†when the focus is on the process and not the product.‚ÄĚ

1. Morning time...My New quality of Vision, since having Cataract surgery, y'all with know with age...(Had my Left Eye on May 2nd-Right Eye on May 9nth)...everything is brighter with my eyes adjusting & healing; my images are crisper. With Blinds closed in our office, the sky is bright after a horrendous Rain/Wind storm last night....light sneaks into the corner of my Right eye since our office window is to my right....with no light on my open area is darker, though a tinge of light enters.

2. Being a Professional Photographer, sometimes, I just Shoot, not knowing what will appear with no judgement & utmost curiosity; this is Mindful Photography at it's best...I'll post some Photos of muddy Turtles from a Pond I spotted yesterday.

3. My Heart bleeds with Sorrow for those Families in Uvalde, Texas today...I sit back & think of how many days I worked as a Social Worker visiting many Schools yesterday, never giving thought that my life might be in Danger..forget Politics today...still brings tears to my eyes...simply gut-wrenching!:(

4. I'll report on my Photography experience yesterday visiting a local park ...as I looked down in the putrid dark brown muddy water below me saw slow movements of Turtles barely tipping the rippling the brown muddy surface of the pond, & even dipping downward to a dark brown to dark gray muddy water below...bringing my eyes upward there is a vision calls to my mind a Beautiful to somewhat bright light reflect on the water, contrasting this a brighter green edge of dark and light to dark colored Green trees reflecting on the water then. actual contrasting actual trees entering from the backwoods of the shoreline; up-above was the view of the bright grayish storm-threatening sky...fairly detailed as much as possible...such contrasting Beauty:) (I'll upload that particular Photo when I have a chance).

• Like 1

"FinestCoaching is all about Connecting the Dots".

• Administrators

Thanks for sharing what comes up for you in regards to these prompts, @Rick @ FinestCoaching. The one that strikes me most is your response to number 3, perhaps because I feel the closest resonance to that one at the moment. When I sit with what happened there in Texas, my heart aches - grieves - for the suffering of the parents, teachers, friends, community members... and for the world as a whole.

At this moment,The Sun is blazing over my my garden which I see through the three windows in my kitchen where I sit. The inside light is muted by the overhang of the roof. Still, I see  clearly. I recall the effort of digging each hole for the seventeen new plants. I tended them with care adding new soil,  potting soil and older soil to plant them well. I watered them and I see they are thriving. I feel grateful that they are. My wife loves the plants and flowers. She compliments me on my work and the good outcome. I thrive in response. A bit farther away from me in the kitchen, I see a small ceramic rendering of a Quail sitting on an indoor plant stand, next to an African Violet I have  had for 32 years. The Quail’s body was painted black while on top of that the artist covered it with white spheres of various sizes. Somehow the result is that the quail seems covered in feathers! Tseme, the artist, living in Toas pueblo, where we met her, made us an offer. If we sent her a picture of the Quail in our home, she would say a prayer for us. We sent her the picture. Every time I look at the Quail I feel gratitude and I feel her prayer. Daniel

• Like 1

• Administrators

Absolutely beautiful piece of writing, Daniel. I love the journey that this took, beginning with awareness of light (the sun) and then expanding to see what else was present.

Here's my own reflection of the moment:

The sun is behind me, through the window, but off to the side. Its rays reach four of the five plants sitting on the ledge just next to the window. A small patch of carpeted floor is touched by sun as well; shadows of plants dance there on the floor. As I look to where the sun meets the floor to my right, I see one of my two furry friends resting there - half-shaded, half illuminated. The top of her head and the right side of her body are blessed by the midday sun. I reflect on her presence, my sweet, fluffy angel, and release a deep sigh. I feel love - emanating both from me and towards me.

• Administrators
On 6/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, Daniel A. Detwiler said:

Your reflection is absolutely beautiful, Gillian. This exercise helps to stay in the ‚Äúnow‚ÄĚ. ¬†It led me and it seems, you,to a mini meditation from light to love. I am going to let this happen often. Thank you. Daniel

And yours as well Daniel! It is such a simple practice but a powerful one. It just brings us back to the beauty of what is.