Gillian Sanger

Creative arts & mindfulness

Ahhh....Hi All!!! Glad I finally got connected to y'all!!!

Photography is my Tease and a Challenge---the mere Mindful Focus keeps me centered when shooting! You can see some of my samples...

The one thing about this Family Shot is that all three Folks were focused on different objects. Actually, Apple Corporate was below in the distance in Cupertino, CA.

Someday I hope to colab. with a Painter to have one of my Photos in Paint!:)

IMG_7744 1.jpg

IMG_8014.jpg

IMG_1789 2.jpg

IMG_8028.jpg

• Like 2
  • Administrators

Recently I took up pottery, which has been a wonderful practice to help me get out of my head and into my hands - and into the earth! I am sharing a photo of my first finished piece (there are more coming out of the kiln soon).

Has anyone else been making things with their hands this past year?

IMG_0293.jpg

• Like 2

That is awesome!! I too have been creating. I an Holistic  Aesthetician as well and  I used to create my own products. I allowed myself to get away from cewating for many years, forgetting how much I loved it and how it was my get away from eveything. Also as you said getting more out of my mind and into my hands. I love that!!! Yes and more into the earth. I love plant therapy so I began to create again my products, plant based straight from the earth. They are Holistically amazing!! i have included a picture for you to see as well.

IMG_20210319_170643372.jpg

• Like 2
  • Administrators

Hi @Kimberly! So nice to hear from you. That is wonderful you're making your own skincare products. There is something so deeply satisfying about making practical, beautiful things with natural ingredients. I have often thought about making my own skincare/bath products/soaps but have never gone beyond a DIY mask. 

• Like 1

Hi, everyone! I have been away from this site and this discussion board for a YEAR!!!! This year kicked our collective asses!!! 

I hope you all got through it with as little loss as possible. And now some states are having surges again. There are so many lessons in this pandemic, but I have not uncovered all of them yet.

Art saves me every time. I have taken up watercolor. I resisted trying it for deades, but I highly recommend it! "Loose" wartercolors are fun because you can color outside the lines or paint without lines and just suggest forms. Here are some of my pieces.

Take care all!

buddha watwrcolor.jpg

butterfly watercolor.jpg

dragonfly watercolor.jpg

flower watercolor.jpg

snake plant.jpg

• Like 1

Some good people to watch on Youtube to learn watercolor are Peter Sheeler, Shayda Campbell, AhmadArt, In the Studio with Michelle Webber, Jenna Rainey. I thought it would be a lot harder than it uis. And you can start out with Dollar Store supplies just to see if it's your thing.

• Like 1

I have developed a Mindful and Meditative Arts Facilitator and Life Coaching Program that focuses on mindful, meditative and intuitive arts (movement, writing, visual art).  If you are interested in finding out about it here is the link.  Mindful and Meditative Arts Certification Program | CourseCraft.

My process right now involves the creation of my coloring book Marvelous Mystics and Wild Women.  Here are a few of the pieces I've been working on as my meditative practice.

20210323_212428.jpg

• Like 2
  • Administrators

Lovely @Maralee! That piece is beautiful. Not quite the same as weaving, but I am thinking about trying my hand at macrame. I found a fallen birch branch in the woods the other day that I'd like to use to create a hanging wall piece.

@luma - Wow! Has it been that long?! My sense of time this year has been so strange. In one sense, it has gone so quickly. In another, quite the opposite.

What beautiful watercolour paintings! You are very talented. I haven't tried watercolour paints before but about half a year ago I played around with watercolour pencil crayons. I didn't quite get the hang of it, but I am sure the paints are completely different. 

Nice to connect again! 🙂

• Like 1

It's good to reconnect with this group.

This year being what it was, I have used art to stay sane. I live and breathe painting, turning my living room into a makeshift art studio. I took an online course in acrylic painting too, and it paid off. I got one of my paintings in a local gallery. Of course, that wasn't the aim.

I lost the dear, sweet lady I used to live with and take care of back in September. Not to covid. Her  Alzheimers finally claimed her life. The art has helped with the grief a lot. And the degree of focus it takes definitely employs mindfulness. You must be in the moment. Hours go by without a thought to anything else.

Here is the painting on the wall of the gallery. It's the one on the right in the gallery shot, and then more close up. 

And then, here is a photo of some of my other paintings at the local antique, arts and crafts mall.

Ha, ha! I need to be careful not to "identify" with my art. Not to become attached to the idea of being an artist.

gallery painting.jpg

tulips.jpg

antique store.jpg

Edited by luma
  • Like 1
  • Administrators

Luma, first and foremost I am very sorry to hear about your loss. That must be very difficult as I imagine you were quite close to her since you lived with her. I am glad that the painting is helping with the grieving process.

And, I don't think you need to worry about 'identifying' as an artist... because, well, in my eyes you are one! Without a doubt. Those tulips are remarkable.

• Like 1