Gillian Sanger

Creative arts & mindfulness

• Administrators

What art forms (and specific artists or works of art) deepen your embodiment and understanding of mindfulness?

As a writer and poet, I have found great comforts in the works of Mary Oliver and David Whyte. My partner just recently bought me two books by David Whyte and I can highly recommended 'The House of Belonging' already.

I also find that spontaneous dance helps me to get right into my body, drawing my attention away from the mind and into the present moment. Current songs that I like to move to include: 'Resilient' by Rising Appalacia and 'Cloudbusting' by Kate Bush.

• Like 2

Music has for me always been the art form that places my spirit in one particular state or another.

Although I don't feel any one art form is more beneficial than another at deepening our inner peace and understanding, for some reason music seems the most universally relied upon. Perhaps the frequency vibrations that are generated thru sound/music effect us on a physical level. As infants and children, we are exposed to music from the singing of our mothers to sooth us. 

When there are lyrics included in music, I guess we are combining two strong influences together. Add the physical nature of dance to that and now three forces are now working together.

How this and the path of mindfulness are connected? For myself the arts are both manifested thru deep inner connection, as well as help to cultivate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrators

I think you're very right - music is a very powerful form of art that can have such a deep impact on our sense of presence, peace, and energy levels. I wrote an article for The Yogi Press about this actually (it's more scientific-based, but in any case, I'll share it here: https://www.yogi.press/home/how-music-affects-the-brain

This morning I listened to a talk by Rupert Spira that explored the role of art in deepening our understanding/awareness. This applies to any art form or sensual exploration.

• Like 2

Two very good presentations on this topic. Thank you.

Your article touched on so many of the positive effects music has on our beings. The science based explorations, I feel, can only encourage us along our paths, and hopefully invite others to experience the benefits that you presented.

In Rupert Spira's presentation he mentioned Rupa (form/perception/beauty) as one of the three realms of experience that traditionally was seen in spiritual practices as a distraction. His talk did a wonderful job in bringing this realm of the arts into the wholesome perspective we most commonly view it as.

• Like 2
  • Administrators
17 minutes ago, luma said:

Acrylic pour painting is the art form I currently love for mindfulness.

Wow!!! I have never seen anything like that! Just watching the video felt like a meditation. I want to try this! Any tips for a beginner?

If you have any photos of your work, feel free to post them here. I'd love to see!

• Like 1

You need more paint than you might think.

Protect your work space and your clothes.

Working on wood (discs or plaques) is best. Canvas tends to allow pooling and cracking of paint.

Dilute cheap craft acrylic paint 4 parts paint to 1 part half clear Elmer's glue and half water.

Use highly contrasting colors.

elevate the piece you pour onto with overturned Dixie cups at edges.

I attached a photo of my last pour. There is a little glare from the glass. For this one, I laid in an off-white background first, drizzled squiggly lines of several colors diagonally, then blew paint around with a hairdryer. That was fun! 

20191102_075631.jpg

Edited by luma
  • Like 2

Thank you luma 🙂

the earthy colors and the "spiraling" effect of your mandala talk a lot to me , and your Zen-tangle as I see it there, has something grounded and radiating at the same time for me.... Who knows, maybe qualities I am looking to cultivate currently.

I wondered if you could upload them to the gallery as well, even if for the moment that is labelled photos. I would be easier for me to see your works again after a while.

Wishing you well, tribal

• Like 1

I discovered Mindful Art Journaling by Rachel Rose on her website or on vimeo under Workshop Muse, yesterday evening and today my first experience :

the freedom to mix medium watercolors, a charcoal crayon and color crayons and back to watercolors , energizing effect now about 20 min later  ( the picture shows it)

also surprising how the « rational » mind at moments wanted to interfere, where the aim of the exercise / practice is to let things emerge as they unfold, letting the impulse bubble up and follow the movement of the hand

for me like letting express what is there even if I don’t have words for it, let myself be surprised and go with the process, no results ( ie a production / picture which I might put up on the wall or offer to someone) requested … just let it unfold …

Who knows maybe it will talk to you too ?

20191221_Mindful Art Journaling _ no 1_s.jpg

Edited by tribal
formatting bold
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrators

@tribal - I love this! Both your work of art and the idea. Yes, I can see how the rational mind would jump in in an effort to control the process or create something that 'makes sense'. I'll have a look at her site with more detail, but here's the link for anyone interested: https://vimeo.com/user56322087

• Like 1