Gillian Sanger

ICEBREAKER: What is one thing most people don't know about you?

On 10/31/2019 at 7:59 PM, DianeJ said:

Thanks, Gillian!

My childhood self wanted to be a teacher and/or a singer. I am a teacher of sorts, and becoming more of one, and I would call myself an amateur singer.

Something else ... I'm certified by the AMC/Appalachian Mountain Club as a "local hikes" leader. I'm also kind of a spelling geek ...

DIane, you're my hero! As a kid, I wanted to hike the AT.  Now (at 48), I've hiked the Approach Trail, and Springer Mountain to Gooch Gap Sections.  Imma finish the rest of Georgia by end of September 22. 🙂

I'm going to respond to "what makes me feel most alive:"  I work with students that are challenged by typical inner city issues like poverty, racism, educational disparities, etc.  Watching them improve their literacy and learn to think bigger, to dream bigger; seeing people learning and daring to hope in these circumstances - this is what community is.  

• Like 1

As a child I wanted to be a catholic nun. Grandma used to invite the nuns to our summer cottage in Gwinn, MI. I loved my  time at the cottage because I felt connected to the people I loved, had inner peace and bold confidence. Memories of floating in an inner tube on the lake, swatting away horse flies, and playing with my cousins fills my heart with joy. I long for those days today. The feeling of being completely supported by the water, my cousins love confident with my inner tube close at hand I wold float on my back looking up at the sky. My cousins and I would spend so many hours playing in the water, our skin would be all wrinkled  as we ran into the sauna house to warm up and do it all over again. Those were the days!

• Like 1