Gillian Sanger

What advice would you give to your younger self? And what advice would your future self give to the current 'you'?

• Administrators

Some of the most profound guided visualizations that I've experienced (both as a student and as a facilitator) are ones that have brought me or those I've led into contact with my/their younger self (whether child, teen, or younger adult).

So, I'd like to pose the question: What advice would you give to your younger self? And what advice would your future self give to the current 'you'?

In this moment, I'm laughing to myself as I realize the advice that is arising in response to both questions is the same 😄 and that is to trust. To trust that things will play out as they're meant to. To trust that I'll receive the support I need (both from within myself and from the outer world). And to trust that things will be okay. The anxious mind really gets wrapped up in the worst-case-scenario, and while I'm so glad that I've developed a more compassionate, clear understanding of anxiety, I still become caught up in worry from time to time.

This is a great check in - and reminder - for myself. To just breathe and lean into trust that everything is perfectly okay.

What is your response to these question?

• Like 1

To my younger self:  Understand that there are several points of views and experiences that shape those points of view and then invite a conversation that shares this information.

From my future self:  Don't grow up.

Edited by Michael
  • Like 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Michael said:

Understand that there are several points of views and experiences that shape those points of view and then invite a conversation that shares this information.

Very wise, and something that most of aren't taught. It's quite empowering when we come into this realization on a deep level!

• Like 1

Not so profound probably, but for both cases: "go take a walk."

In my youth I was a real hot head, it wasn't until I was an adult that I learned  to walk off my immediate reactions to things. 

My future self would likely remind me to go take a walk. Except now the walk is a way to invigorate my childhood curiosity in nature, sights and sounds. 

• Like 2

I would tell my younger self everyday that I love you . To my future self I would say: follow your heart in your interests in work, happiness is yoga, Mindfulness, breath work , and chakras so make time to stay balanced. 

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Alison said:

I would tell my younger self everyday that I love you . To my future self I would say: follow your heart in your interests in work, happiness is yoga, Mindfulness, breath work , and chakras so make time to stay balanced. 

Thank you for the reminder to follow one's heart, Alison!

On 10/25/2019 at 5:40 PM, Michael said:

To my younger self:  Understand that there are several points of views and experiences that shape those points of view and then invite a conversation that shares this information.

From my future self:  Don't grow up.

I love that- don't grow up!

On 6/12/2020 at 7:36 AM, Alison said:

That's lovely Alison. Growing up is so hard- imagine if we had all told ourselves everyday "I love you." I have a yoga class where the teacher starts each class with "tell yourself 'hello' by name. Tell yourself 'I love you' by name." It's such a nice way to start class!

On 10/27/2019 at 7:44 PM, Ro H. said:

Not so profound probably, but for both cases: "go take a walk."

In my youth I was a real hot head, it wasn't until I was an adult that I learned  to walk off my immediate reactions to things. 

My future self would likely remind me to go take a walk. Except now the walk is a way to invigorate my childhood curiosity in nature, sights and sounds. 

What a great response! I hear you about being a hothead- I'm still apologizing to my parents for how I acted as a teen. And taking a walk can solve many a problem🙃

On 10/25/2019 at 8:55 PM, cecilia said:

Believe in yourself, follow your truth. Listen to other's opinions but follow your own.

Great advice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, Sean Fargo said:

For my former self:

Take the time to discover what is MOST IMPORTANT to me.

What is at the root of my soul?

What experiences have touched that? 

How do I want to contribute to the world?

Profound questions Sean- love it!