Jump to content
Gillian Sanger

What advice would you give to your younger self? And what advice would your future self give to the current 'you'?

Recommended Posts

Some of the most profound guided visualizations that I've experienced (both as a student and as a facilitator) are ones that have brought me or those I've led into contact with my/their younger self (whether child, teen, or younger adult).

So, I'd like to pose the question: What advice would you give to your younger self? And what advice would your future self give to the current 'you'?

In this moment, I'm laughing to myself as I realize the advice that is arising in response to both questions is the same 😄 and that is to trust. To trust that things will play out as they're meant to. To trust that I'll receive the support I need (both from within myself and from the outer world). And to trust that things will be okay. The anxious mind really gets wrapped up in the worst-case-scenario, and while I'm so glad that I've developed a more compassionate, clear understanding of anxiety, I still become caught up in worry from time to time.

This is a great check in - and reminder - for myself. To just breathe and lean into trust that everything is perfectly okay.

What is your response to these question?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my former self:

Take the time to discover what is MOST IMPORTANT to me.

What is at the root of my soul?

What experiences have touched that? 

How do I want to contribute to the world?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my younger self:  Understand that there are several points of views and experiences that shape those points of view and then invite a conversation that shares this information.

From my future self:  Don't grow up.

 

Edited by Michael
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Michael said:

Understand that there are several points of views and experiences that shape those points of view and then invite a conversation that shares this information.

Very wise, and something that most of aren't taught. It's quite empowering when we come into this realization on a deep level!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so profound probably, but for both cases: "go take a walk."

In my youth I was a real hot head, it wasn't until I was an adult that I learned  to walk off my immediate reactions to things. 

My future self would likely remind me to go take a walk. Except now the walk is a way to invigorate my childhood curiosity in nature, sights and sounds. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would tell my younger self everyday that I love you . To my future self I would say: follow your heart in your interests in work, happiness is yoga, Mindfulness, breath work , and chakras so make time to stay balanced. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alison said:

I would tell my younger self everyday that I love you . To my future self I would say: follow your heart in your interests in work, happiness is yoga, Mindfulness, breath work , and chakras so make time to stay balanced. 

Thank you for the reminder to follow one's heart, Alison!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 5:40 PM, Michael said:

To my younger self:  Understand that there are several points of views and experiences that shape those points of view and then invite a conversation that shares this information.

From my future self:  Don't grow up.

 

I love that- don't grow up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 7:36 AM, Alison said:

I would tell my younger self everyday that I love you . To my future self I would say: follow your heart in your interests in work, happiness is yoga, Mindfulness, breath work , and chakras so make time to stay balanced. 

That's lovely Alison. Growing up is so hard- imagine if we had all told ourselves everyday "I love you." I have a yoga class where the teacher starts each class with "tell yourself 'hello' by name. Tell yourself 'I love you' by name." It's such a nice way to start class!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2019 at 7:44 PM, Ro H. said:

Not so profound probably, but for both cases: "go take a walk."

In my youth I was a real hot head, it wasn't until I was an adult that I learned  to walk off my immediate reactions to things. 

My future self would likely remind me to go take a walk. Except now the walk is a way to invigorate my childhood curiosity in nature, sights and sounds. 

What a great response! I hear you about being a hothead- I'm still apologizing to my parents for how I acted as a teen. And taking a walk can solve many a problem🙃

On 10/25/2019 at 8:55 PM, cecilia said:

Believe in yourself, follow your truth. Listen to other's opinions but follow your own.

Great advice!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, Sean Fargo said:

For my former self:

Take the time to discover what is MOST IMPORTANT to me.

What is at the root of my soul?

What experiences have touched that? 

How do I want to contribute to the world?

Profound questions Sean- love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.