Ro H.

Workplace Mindfulness Spaces

Hello again. I hope I'm not over-posting, but I've recently been looking into workplace meditation spaces. I personally use co-working spaces when I'm not working from home so I've  been on the hunt for a few in my own area that offer meditation rooms.  While looking, I came across a few office mindfulness spaces that I think serve as nice inspiration. I shared them over in the gallery. 

https://www.mindfulnessexercises.com/community/gallery/category/4-where-do-you-practice-mindfulness/

(I think this is an open gallery anyone can add to!)

Now, finding local office spaces (my goal) was a bit tricky with more companies giving their meditation rooms alternate names. That totally makes sense that they want to personalize the space with their brand in mind, but honestly it also made it a bit difficult to find local spaces I could visit and cowork at. 😅

So my tip: if you're interested in meditation room design (as part of your consulting or for any reason really), I found a lot of places are calling their mindfulness areas relaxation zones, recharge rooms, gadget-free rooms, and intention altars -- the list goes on so being creative with your search is a good idea.

ETA:

I should mention that I also noticed more of the coworking spaces are creating larger dedicated mindfulness areas now, and allow individuals to use the space for their classes, workshops or events, for a fee (or as part of the membership) . That might be of interest to our consultants  and independent teachers here in the community. 

Edited by Ro H.
  • Like 1

I can relate to this! There are so many different names and purposes for rooms that are conducive for mindfulness groups and workshops.

I've held yoga and meditation workshops in Toronto and I've had the most luck finding great spaces at reasonable rates by: 1) emailing yoga studios directly, even if they don't advertise space rentals, 2) Kijiji! I met two wonderful women (one dance teacher, one physiotherapist), both of whom were so understanding and flexible as I was building my practice and wasn't sure what I could commit to. There spaces weren't necessarily designed for meditation or mindfulness, but they were completely conducive for what I needed.

Hi everyone! I am starting in everything related to mindfulness, I´m from Lima, Peru;  and I would like to apply it at work, I am a supervisor in a callcenter, which is a work in customer service and sometimes it generates stress to my work team. The issue is that I don't know where to start getting them familiar with meditation and mindfulness, make it attractive and maybe also lose the fear of doing it, if you have any recommendations to apply it in their work teams, I´ll thank you. For now, I´m following some courses on this web. 

• Like 2

Yes, I agree.  In the workplace mindfulness would be useful.  Being responsible for your own productivity and not hindering others.  This would hopefully create a happier environment and more successful workplace.  It is called a Win, Win.  

• Like 2

On 2/22/2020 at 11:37 PM, Paola V. said:

Hi everyone! I am starting in everything related to mindfulness, I´m from Lima, Peru;  and I would like to apply it at work, I am a supervisor in a callcenter, which is a work in customer service and sometimes it generates stress to my work team. The issue is that I don't know where to start getting them familiar with meditation and mindfulness, make it attractive and maybe also lose the fear of doing it, if you have any recommendations to apply it in their work teams, I´ll thank you. For now, I´m following some courses on this web. 

@Paola V. What a great idea! It would be wonderful if there was someone in every single workplace initiating mindfulness discussion and practice.

First thing I can say is that I can completely understand the fear of leading this type of work - but that it will pass. For me, especially in the beginning of teaching meditation and yoga, it became very apparent that I needed to apply what I was teaching to my own experience in the couple of hours leading up to the session. Practicing self-compassion and grounding through the breath have been extremely helpful in witnessing and releasing the fear around teaching.

What kind of practices are you interested in? And what kind of time/space do you have at your workplace for this? Would it be a one-off experiential session that you'd offer, more of a lesson, or a series of teachings/practices?

Last week I went to a new meditation studio that opened up in Stockholm called Mindstory. I wanted to share some pictures as inspiration here because although it's not a workplace (well, it is for those who offer services there!), I believe they offer group sessions to companies in the area. So that's another option as well if looking to share mindfulness and meditation with companies - finding and renting studios nearby that are set up with the equipment and soothing ambience.

IMG_3540.JPG

IMG_3545.JPG

• Like 1

I have just set mine up in my addition here at home and looks similar to this.  The space is only room enough for 1 or 2 people.  My goal is to set this up by end of the year.   I hope things are working out at your job?  @Paola V.This looks so inviting.   If make me feel very peaceful to think of every home and business having a room just like this.