Gillian Sanger

What does 'home' mean to you?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What does 'home' mean to you?

Share any thoughts and reflections about home. Where do you feel 'at home'? What does it feel to be 'at home'? How would you describe 'home'?

• Administrators

Home to me is a sense of belonging. I can feel at home in my body. I can feel at home in a place. I can feel at home on this earth. I can feel at home when with certain people.

Home provides a sense of warmth, love, and acceptance. It is a trusting place - a feeling of being at one with what is.

• Like 2

Home to me is an intangible sense of being at ease.  It is less about place or company, and more about ease within my own heart, mind, and body.

One of my very favorite passages from Brigid Anna McNeill says-

"Make a loving home within yourself.

One that feels beautiful to dwell in when all else falls away."

There is more to this meaningful passage, but you get the idea.

Be well-

Rachel

• Like 2

• Administrators

Beautiful. Thank you Rachel.

Your sharing of that passage prompted me to remember a related poem that I love. It is one of my favourites (Sean shared it in one of his weekly musings).

It is 'The House of Belonging' by David Whyte, which ends with: 

There is no house
 like the house of belonging.

https://onbeing.org/poetry/the-house-of-belonging/

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I've logged in... and just as I read the welcome message, I realized I felt "at home" immediately. Home is where there is unconditional acceptance and love, non-judgment, and comfort. It is less about the physical location and material aspects of what we may consider a "home". When I feel at home, I feel a sense of peace and ease regardless of what may be happening around me or circumstances.

Did I just type a meditation?

• Like 2

Home is where I can feel peace and have no stresses about it. That is not what I have right now. Home will be where I can stay and know that I lay my head down and not have to think about where I belong.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Thank you for the beautiful reflections Mary and Faune, and for the podcast recommendation Rachel!

I am posting this in a status update as well, but as I am here, I want to mention that I am leaving this morning for Italy on a two-week personal retreat. I may touch base towards the end of the second week, but if I am quiet over these weeks, that is why 🙂

Enjoy your next couple of weeks and I will reconnect soon!

Thank you Gillian, I will listen to that for sure. I heard a wonderful one she did with Robin Wall Kimmerer that you might enjoy if you have not heard it. It would fit in with the nature topic we cover rd but also it is just  wonderful interview.

Have a peaceful and enjoyable retreat.