Gillian Sanger

Book List 2021

• Administrators

What is everyone reading these days? Or, what is on your to-read list? In some ways, it would seem winter is the best time for reading - but, as we enter into spring, I find myself wanting to cozy up in half sun-half shade with a good book in my hands.

Here's a few items on my book list for 2021:

-Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg (COMPLETED)
-The Journey of Soul Initiation by Bill Plotkin (IN-PROGRESS)
-If Women Rose Rooted by Sharon Blackie (IN-PROGRESS)
-Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer (TO READ)
-Coming to Peace by Isa Gucciardi (TO READ)

What's on your list? Or, what have you recently read and would like to recommend?

I recently finished The Soul of a Woman by Isabel Allende- incredible!

Currently reading Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright.  Enjoying his quippy writing style and interesting crossover of ideas rooted in both Buddhism and evolutionary psychology.

Next up- Grounded by Dr. Erin Yu-Juin McMorrow, about healing the literal earth (soil) and the divine feminine and how they are one and the same.

Braiding Sweetgrass in one of my own teacher's favorites... and though I haven't read it myself, I am familiar with many passages.

Be well!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Oooh thank you for sharing all of these @Rachel. I'm happy to have this list as reference for later.

A book cover that someone shared via Instagram recently that intrigued my interest is: 

Of Water and the Spirit by Malidoma Patrice Somé. I'm adding it to my booklist.

Had to add another I came across just this week!  I was given an interview with the author, Dr. Clint Smith, who just blew me away.  After that interview, I listened to two others (including the one linked below with Terry Gross on Fresh Air) and then I ordered the book!

The book is called How the Word is Passed and here is the Fresh Air interview as a suitable introduction to Dr. Smith and his writing:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/01/1001243385/slavery-wasnt-long-ago-writer-exposes-the-disconnect-in-how-we-tell-history 

• Like 1

I really like developing literature, but how do you feel about fiction? I love classics, mainly British and French, although there are works written no more than 100 years ago, which have also become world classics. I'm reading Archibald Cronin's The Hatter's Castle right now, just for fun. The novel is difficult, but very interesting.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Thank you for sharing Leslie. I read primarily non-fiction, but once in a while I do read fiction. Two books I read in the past year or so that I really loved were:

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Circe by Madeline Miller

• Administrators

Another book on my list for 2021 is:

When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chödrön

I will be reading this for a course I am taking. Sharing it here in case anyone wants to read this alongside me in the fall.