Gillian Sanger

What does this photograph bring up for you?

• Administrators

This week's question was inspired by a thread started by one of our members, Rick.

The question is:

What does this photograph bring up for you?

First, set a timer for two or three minutes. Gaze into this photo and all of its elements with openness and curiosity. Note what stands out to you. Note what it brings up. Then, I invite you to share your answers to any or all of the following questions:

• What was the first thing to draw your attention in this photo?
  • What emotions were you aware of while looking at this photo?
  • Does this photo remind you of anything?
  • What does your heart have to say about this photo?

robert-lukeman-_RBcxo9AU-U-unsplash.thumb.jpg.bccb83e3faa650eb281120b6a4d6d372.jpgPhoto by Robert Lukeman on Unsplash

It is nice to have something external to reflect on for a question of the week.  Thank you, Rick and Gillian.

1. My eye was first drawn to the sunrise...I am naturally an early riser and one of the most sacred pauses in a day is to be with the sun as it makes its' appearance.  

2.  The emotion that was most predominant for me was restlessness...a desire to get away, perhaps to a place where I could be with this scene without distraction,

3.  The labyrinth reminds me of a mountaintop path I like to hike to when I go on retreat.  In fact, the whole image reminds me of the serene grounds there; perhaps that is where I am wanting to go to as references in question 2?

4.  My heart feels a bit sad actually...I feel more and more concerned about the state of the natural world.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your heartfelt reflections. I, too, feel very concerned for the natural world. I know that most of us long to protect it, but I worry about the economic and political forces that make it evermore difficult to honour the earth.

Here are my reflections on this photo:

• What was the first thing to draw your attention in this photo?

The first thing that I noticed about this photo was the labyrinth. The formation was immediately captivating. My eyes traced the circles of it before expanding outwards.

• What emotions were you aware of while looking at this photo?

I notice a sense of tranquility mixed with longing - a deep yearning to be more immersed in the natural world.

• Does this photo remind you of anything?

I don't know where this was taken, but it reminds me of Ireland. I have been to Ireland many years ago, but it has been more recently in my awareness as I am reading the book, 'If Women Rose Rooted' (based on the personal journeys of women and celtic mythology). There is a chapter in which the author talks about walking meditation and labyrinths. 

• What does your heart have to say about this photo?

My heart brings me closer to this sense of longing, informing me that I feel most 'at home' when I am in nature. My partner and I are in the process of finding a rural place to move to; my response to this photo reaffirms this intention of ours.

• Like 1