Gillian Sanger

How can mindfulness impact the collective?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

How can mindfulness impact the collective?

Though mindfulness is a personal practice, it has a ripple effect that extends to our families, our communities, and the world at large. What are some of the ways that mindfulness impacts the collective? Share any examples that come to mind.

• Like 1
  • Administrators

I'll start by sharing a few reflections...

The primary way that I see mindfulness impacting the collective is through its natural ability to enhance self and world awareness. It is very difficult, if we are committed to deepening self-understanding through mindfulness, to continue acting in hurtful ways. While we all have room to grow, mindfulness helps us to become more responsible for our actions and to behave in ways that are in alignment with the greater good.

For instance, mindfulness has helped me to better understand that happiness does not come from mindless consumption. To be more specific, I can recall a time in my life (my early University days) during which I bought a new piece of clothing on an almost weekly basis. I had not yet begun much mindful introspection, and so I still believed that having the right outer appearance would make be feel better inside. As I began to work on the relationship I have with myself, these attachments and shopping patterns naturally began to dissipate (replaced with healthier, more mindful ones), contributing to a better outcome for our planet.

• Like 1

I shared a new blog today on my site, and I think it sort of speaks to this week's question, which I believe can be interpreted in several ways.

Here is the link and I would love to hear your thoughts as related to the question of the week, as well as the contents of the blog itself.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ObevCPyzpLrHBcZ7mJ_dtjctcKwD0_N7y_zkpa3K48s/edit?usp=sharing

Be well-

Rachel

• Like 1

Gillian I hear you!  When we become more mindfully aware, we stop trying to fix the inside (which is really already whole and complete) by manipulating and controlling the outside.

I am doing the 100 day mindfulness challenge and it stopped Saturday at day 48.  Nothing Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday or today.  I checked the junk folders, etc.  Do you know if it will resume for the last 52 days.  I have sent 2 emails to ask.  I have purchased the scripts previously.  Thank you!

• Thanks 1
  • Administrators

@Rachel - thank you for sharing your blog. I read it and much of it resonated with me - from the blend of emotions that arise in response to the world to our fundamental interconnectedness and in-between. A couple of things that I'd like to share more about in response to your words:

You wrote, "Perhaps it will come in the form of my own children and their awareness and contributions," which touches on something I often reflect on. That is, we cannot know the downstream consequences of our actions, and children are a wonderful example of this. Let's say we raise a child and through our teachings, they develop a deep commitment to the soil... or to animals... or to humans, whatever it may be. They will go out into the world and bring that with them, adding their own heart to it, expressing that love and commitment in their own way. And then they may have children, sharing the same teachings and values. In this way, we can see that the ripple is infinite - and, it can be conceptualized in all forms of relationship, not just parent-child relationships. When we envision our actions in this way, we can see that everything matters, even the smallest acts of kindness, forgiveness, generosity.

I also like how you note some of the different forms that mindfulness and compassion can take for you. I think this is such an important reminder - that we can each contribute mindfully in our own ways. And again, as you said, the fruits of those mindful contributions could be known or unknown.

Thank you as always for your lovely words!

• Like 1
  • Administrators
22 hours ago, rachelnward said:

Gillian I hear you!  When we become more mindfully aware, we stop trying to fix the inside (which is really already whole and complete) by manipulating and controlling the outside.

I am doing the 100 day mindfulness challenge and it stopped Saturday at day 48.  Nothing Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday or today.  I checked the junk folders, etc.  Do you know if it will resume for the last 52 days.  I have sent 2 emails to ask.  I have purchased the scripts previously.  Thank you!

Hi @rachelnward,

I will send you a direct message to see if we can get those emails flowing again 🙂

On 5/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, Rachel said:

I shared a new blog today on my site, and I think it sort of speaks to this week's question, which I believe can be interpreted in several ways.

Here is the link and I would love to hear your thoughts as related to the question of the week, as well as the contents of the blog itself.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ObevCPyzpLrHBcZ7mJ_dtjctcKwD0_N7y_zkpa3K48s/edit?usp=sharing

Be well-

Rachel

Hi Rachel,  This blog post is lovely.  With so many terrible things drawing our attention, it's sometimes very hard to keep the voice in our hearts turned up loud enough so we can hear it.  I'm grateful to you for sharing your thoughts that resonate deeply with me. 

Take good care, 

Jane