Gillian Sanger

What can I take an extra moment to appreciate today?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What can I take an extra moment to appreciate today?

Take a moment's pause to look around you and within. What can you express silent gratitude towards? What small blessings tend to go under appreciated? Share your reflections with us as many time as you like this week (and beyond).

Hello, Community- It's been a minute!  I have transitioned back out into the post Covid world and have been working on site for the last several weeks.  I am noticing a scattered sense most days and am just being mindful as the pace of my day to day shifts once again.  I do hope you have all been well.

In the overwhelm of daily life, both close to home and globally, I definitely am a human who tends to 'forget' what there is to appreciate in the little moments.  So this question, as @Gillian Sanger seems to sense from halfway across the world, comes to me in timing divine.

My teacher often opens our sitting meditations with an exercise which highlights just what this question is asking:  she invites us to inwardly repeat phrases like, "I woke up this morning- thank you.  When I opened my eyes, I could see- thank you.  When I stepped out of bed, my legs were strong beneath me- thank you." And so one...in each tiny moment, there is something to be grateful for.  Those tiny moments are humbling and for me, grounding.  So that is where I will start.  

Wishing you peace and ease.

Rachel 

• Like 1

• Administrators

It's so nice to hear from you Rachel! And I am glad to hear that the timing of this question resonates with you 😊

Though a bit different, what you've written here from your teacher reminds me of a writing exercise I came across in a book I just finished called Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. She offers an exercise which is to just write about 'this moment'. I often come back to that, starting each new line with, "In this moment, ..."

In fact, I included this in my journaling this morning. From earlier:

In this moment, my windows are speckled with tears from clouds. The sky is soft grey, opaque.
In this moment, rain cascades towards the Earth; I can see it and I can hear it.
In this moment, the symphony of falling droplets it wild, irregular; it follows no pattern, rhyme, or reason.
In this moment I feel connected to nature - inspired, primal, alive.

This ties into the deep gratitude I felt this morning. I woke to the sound of rain, feeling it pitter-patter upon me as I took the dog's out for their morning movements. The spring showers vibe felt rejuvenating, a presence I was immensely grateful for. I am sure that the Earth rejoiced, too.

• Like 1