Gillian Sanger

My Octopus Teacher: Review

• Administrators

Has anyone else here seen 'My Octopus Teacher'? If you haven't heard of it, it's a documentary on Netflix that follows the journey of a diver who befriends an octopus, going to see her every day for around a year. The film was gentle and yet raw, touching on so many aspects of humanity and planetary interconnectedness. It involves themes of resilience, belonging, interconnection, compassion, growth, healing, observation, and so much more. In the end, I was left with a sense of awe and wonder for this natural planet - with a sense of curiosity and mystery. It left me wanting to tune into the natural world - to plants and animals - far more than I do now. 

If you watched it, I would love to hear your thoughts and reflections.

I did see that movie and loved it. The octopus was definitely the teacher and I so appreciated the space he gave her and the sense of caring that grew as well as the bond between them whatever that may have been. I know it was hard for me some of what she had to endure and it was no less if not harder for him. The natural world is always beautiful but not always kind. It is clear that his relationship with her changed him forever.  I could never be someone who documents all the realities of nature and wildlife because although I know it is how it is supposed to be I would want to intervene.It is truly a beautiful and moving documentary. Your description was quite apt, Gillian, on the "raw connection" and the sense of wonder asI feel that too. The fact that she stayed with the eggs all that time only to die in the end was sad although again that is just what happens and as we have heard before, nature moves in mysterious ways. I think that is how the saying goes.

• Like 1
  • Administrators

What a beautiful reflection Faune. Yes, that part at the end of her staying with her eggs until they hatched was deeply moving. It is hard to put to words what that made me feel in regards to the octopus, but she really embraced a fierce and protective mother archetype for those last few moments of her life. It also made it so clear that, as you say, life moves in mysterious ways. It cannot be held onto forever, and the way that it moves - through birth and death - is both beautiful and poignant.

I have recommended it to people. The person who documented her life certainly had his life changed forever. Octopi are such amazing beings in so many ways.

• Like 1