Gillian Sanger

What can I do for the greater good today?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What can I do for the greater good today?

This week I invite you to reflect on what you can do today to support our collective wellbeing. Whether a small step or large action comes to mind, share a little something that you can do to spread love, care, and kindness today.

A lovely teaching went along the lines of saying that if your response to a situation is unpredictable then rather maintain silence. Often silence says what words might get wrong. 
✨🙏🏼✨

• Thanks 1

There is a confederate flag being flown in our lovely sleepy Devon village in the UK by someone who has a violent past, is far right and a racist and who is also on our parish council. I am working with others in the village to write to the parish council to try and get the flag taken down. I am standing up for equality and against racism and white supremacy. This feels like working towards collective well being in our little community where a lot of people are intimidated by this person. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes, like mentioned above, silence is a way to work towards the greater good. My words may not always be effective, they might fall upon an unreceptive person. But my actions, I hope, do offer a way to promote kindness and empathy towards living beings. Perhaps this display will help promote more goodwill towards others.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

@Judi @Vicki @VBZivkovic - thanks to each of you for sharing your thoughts and reflections on this question. I like that both action and silence are represented here. Each moment calls for something different, and as our hearts evolve, I think we develop a greater sense of what any situation is asking of us - of what our most compassionate response or step forward might be. Thanks again to all of you.

A compassionate act I chose today was to apologize. It was a small transgression (I was short with my partner while under pressure), but I wanted to take responsibility for my own energy - to witness and to intervene with the unconscious attempt I was making to place my frustration outside of myself. The short but heartfelt apology helped to shift the energy in the room for both of us. I was able to meet my partner with much greater appreciation and kindness.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the thoughtful and personal responses, and thank you @Gillian Sanger for the important inquiry and invitation. 

There is so much that needs to be tended to, within and in the collective sense, that it can be sometimes overwhelming to know where to begin.  For me, with my friends and colleagues of color, particularly my Black friends (and their families)- I have simply inquired how their hearts are in the wake of such big emotional events around racism, accountability, injustice, and fear.  I have let them know (in word today, in deed on other days) that although they grieve and anguish, they do not do so alone.  I acknowledge my place and privilege in being able to stand in solidarity with and more importantly, for them.

I recently read See No Stranger by the wonderful and inspiring Valarie Kaur, and took part in an online seminar she led called "The People's Inauguration- 10 Days to Revolutionary Love".  During the workshop, one of the sessions focused on grief- our own and witnessing that of others.  I learned the power of simply communicating that the heavy trauma and grief (of ones dear to me who belong to historically oppressed groups) is seen, acknowledged, and in the importance of letting them know they are not alone in their grief.

Hope this finds you all safe and well.

Rachel

• Like 2