Gillian Sanger

POLL: If you could add a few sentences to your last disagreement with someone you love, what would you add?

If you could add a few sentences to your last disagreement with someone you love, what would you add?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. If you could add a few sentences to your last disagreement with someone you love, what would you add?

• I don't quite understand. Can you say that again?
    • Thank you for being honest.
    • From what I am hearing, __________ is very important to you.
    • I need a moment to reflect on what you've said.
    • I am having a hard time listening right now.
    • I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.
    • I am sorry.
    • I feel misunderstood/unheard/unseen.
    • We you say __________, I feel __________.
    • Can you tell me more?

• Administrators

Reflect on the question:

If you could add a few sentences to your last disagreement with someone you love, what would you add?

Choose as many of the listed options that resonate with you. If there is something else you would say, share in the comments section. 

hi   i would need to find a way to say sorry, It was not so much a disagreement but my mum is in a stage of possibly dementia although its not evident all of the time just lately there have been a few times where she has been adament  that something has happened when it has not I had to go to see her as my son was concerned by a phone call he got from her and when i got there she seemed tto be  more argumentative than confused, but i should have been kinder instead of reacting impatiently

I have been there—with my dad during his last months before he passed away. It really reveals how much some of us rely on certain fixed perceptions and judgments of how things are and should be. To watch them fall apart really was unnerving. It was also a real lesson about the importance of letting-go of rigid views and expectations in favor of opening with love and generosity to what presents itself...with the ailing parent, oneself, and bewildered loved ones. In hindsight I could have done a lot better. I ask his forgiveness in meditation often. My culture in no way prepares one for this, so mistakes were to be expected. I had to forgive myself. A teacher says if we are not making mistakes, it is a mistake. I love that little aphorism. We need not react to mistakes with harshness but respond with kindness. My thoughts are with you. I really did not want to participate in this forum but the poignancy of your post tugged at my heartstrings. Best wishes to you.

• Like 1