Gillian Sanger

What does fear feel like?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What does fear feel like?

Fear and anxiety rise up in all sorts of circumstances. We can feel either of these emotions due to things small or large, real or perceived. In response, we might fight, flee, or freeze, perhaps dependant upon who we are, what's going on inside of us, and the details of the present circumstances.

For this week's question, I invite you to consider how fear manifests itself within the body. What sorts of reactions or sensations do you notice when you are anxious or afraid? Do your reactions vary according to the circumstances? Feel free to share any thoughts or reflections you have about this topic.

I sO agree B.  When i feel the sensatiOn of fear fOr me, it is a separatiOn which feels like an uncOmfortable energy in  my chest and arms. A sensatiOn that is like stress Of a small self shaking  hOlding the breath cOnstricted with the body cOntracting.  I thank my bOdy nOw fOr letting me knOw i am nOt connected and cOme back to breath letting my bOdy know i am safe tO  expand Once again with the life fOrce Of my breath. 

• Like 2

Lately fear/anxiety  crops up when I think about doing taxes this year. It’s a hollow feeling or a hollow space with a small nut shaped knot in the center of my solar plexus area. 
Where the fear is felt does seem dependent on if it is real ‘fear’ or more an anxiety producing fear. If I sit with the fear of losing a loved one, that knot gets bigger and radiates out through the legs, arms, head, feet and hands. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I resonate with so much of what has been shared here already. @Blue - your words really struck me and painted such a clear image of being frozen amidst the free flow of life. This feels very accurate and is perfect depiction of the 'freeze' response.

@kecowling@gmail.com - constricted, breath being held... I can resonate with this as well. It can be a sense of 'turning inwards' for me, wanting to contract from the world around me. But as you mention, coming back to the breath makes a world of difference! As does just checking in with my posture and asking, 'what is happening in my body right now?'

@Kathleen - Your description as well paints such a clear image - this nut-shaped knot in the solar plexus region. The fear of losing loved ones comes up for me as well. For me, this is associated with a knot of energy in my throat (your nut-shaped description fits quite well for it actually).

Thanks to each one of your for your heart-felt sharings ❤️ 

The interesting thing about fear is that while felt in the body, it starts as a thought, a future thought. At least, that’s how I understand it. 

While teaching a session about Intuition, a participant asked me about fear. I’ll attach a link of what transpired, if you’re curious to read: http://amyappell.com/2018/11/is-it-intuition-or-fear/