Gillian Sanger

December 2nd - Sean's 5 Mindful Musings

enhancing non-judgmental moment-to-moment awareness
5b870f2d6d0c3cdd2715e8118a136610.png?r=5

Hi All! 

Here is your weekly dose of "5 Mindful Musings", a brief list of what's helping me live a more mindful life.

An Event I'm Interested In 
Wise and Compassionate Action: Creating Tech Worthy of the Human Spirit. Jack Kornfield is a Founding Senior Advisor to this collective of impressive thought leaders who serve tech leaders and teams with the tools, knowledge, and community to create tech that brings out the best in all of us. This December 15th event should be an interesting discussion, with Jack sharing a meditation for us to start. (Note: No one will be turned away for a lack of funds.)

A Quote I Like
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't -- you're right." - Henry Ford

New Mindfulness Exercises I Just Shared Freely
- Is It Selfish To Want Happiness? As human beings we want nothing more than to be happy. And yet, do we really believe we deserve it? Among the barriers to our happiness is the insidious idea that it’s selfish to want happiness. It’s not. In fact, not pursuing happiness may be the most self-indulgent thing we can do. 
- What It Means To Protect The Mind & Why It Matters. Our minds are our most valuable asset. Mindful living requires a healthy mind and without it, we can’t realize our full potential. Mindfulness helps protect our minds, and a protected mind makes mindfulness more attainable. Learn what it means to protect your mind, and why it matters.

An Important Lesson On Trauma Sensitivity
Understanding the Window of Tolerance. Understanding and working with the concept of the "window of tolerance" can help our meditation practice to feel safe and stable. It is only within this window of tolerance (or window of safety) that we can continue the mindful work of releasing past trauma.

A Poem I Love

The Debate

I’m listening to my father and his brother,
both in their eighties, debate their childhood
from adjoining La-Z-Boy recliners.
"We had no toys," my father insists.
"What are you talking about, no toys?"
My uncle practically leaps from his chair,
except he can’t, on account of his back and his legs
and his feet and his hips. "We had tons of toys!"
Then he lists them: the playing cards
("Those don’t count," my father says);
the train set ("Oh, yeah, I forgot about the train set");
the sleds — "Did anyone else on our block have sleds?"
Uncle Barry asks. "Nineteen-forty, people are crawling
out of the Great Depression on hands and knees, tell me:
Did anyone on our block besides us have a sled?"
My father’s father had a good job delivering newspapers
and brought home sixty-five dollars a week,
enough for Chinese food every Friday
and cupcakes on birthdays.
"We really didn’t have birthday parties,"
my father contends, and my uncle lunges at this.
"What are you talking about?
What about that surprise party
when you turned thirteen?"
"That was the only time," my father counters.
Don’t even try, Uncle Barry, I almost say,
then catch myself. I want
this unwinnable argument to continue —
forever, if possible. I want
the Brooklyn music of their voices
entwined in a duet with no resolution. I want the song —
half lament, half celebration —
to go on and on and on.

- Alison Luterman, The Sun

As always, please feel free to share your feedback in our Mindfulness Community Forums. Which musing above is your favorite? What do you want more or less of? Other suggestions? Just add a post to the forum and let me know! 

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for exclusive, free mindfulness trainings.

Wishing you well, 
559db4a0e82734e0f7184ada257149ab.png

Sean Fargo
Founder, Mindfulness Exercises

P.S. - Try Our 100-Day Mindfulness Challenge

Receive free daily mindfulness meditations, worksheets and infographics to help you start each day mindful. 

Over 10,000 people have take this challenge to become more mindful.