Gillian Sanger

What areas of your life could use more mindfulness?

This week's question asks:

What areas of your life could use more mindfulness?

It seems to me that mindfulness comes easier for us in certain areas of our life than in others - and that this varies from person to person. For some, practicing compassion in relationships is much easier than remaining mindful about technology usage. Likewise, someone might find it relatively easy to be mindful during formal meditation practice and yet the struggle to make mindful use of their time. What areas of your own life could use greater mindful attention or care?

You might consider:

• Relationships
  • Work life
  • Time management
  • Self-care
  • Eating and drinking habits
  • Technology usage
  • Movement/exercise
  • Goal setting
  • Formal meditation practice
  • Or anything else that comes to mind.

Oh wow...this is definitely a great question.  i personally could use more Mindfulness in my work life and Rest time... Those are key things in my life that I need to be more mindful.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing @Kimberly! Mindfulness of taking time to rest is also something I could use more of, as well as mindfulness of where I am putting my energy. YouTube, the news, and other media channels serve a purpose to a degree, but I am finding that I need to be more mindful of the attention I grant to these things.

• Like 1

My first response is that I could use more mindfulness in all of the areas mentioned. One I currently am working on is mindfulness of eating. I am using the program Noom for weight management. The program is based on cognitive behavioral and positive psychology. I have been documenting every meal for three plus weeks. Here's one important thing I learned. Even though I now prepare meals, plate them, have water with them and sit down to eat them, after the first bite I psychologically go somewhere else. Lost in thought describes the experience. At some point, I become aware of that and try to reorient my attention. It fails. Next, my plate of food is gone. I don't remember how anything tasted, whether it was satifying or quite how I got to the end of eating what was on my plate. Because, I carefully chose what to eat and the amounts, I know I "ate well and enough". That works to prompt me to wait 20 minutes for the feeling of satieity. Once it occurs, I recognize I don't need to eat until the next meal. However, I don't experience any of the tastes that occurred during my "thoughtful diversion". I have set simple goals: at least stay present for the first thing I eat, or the first part of the meal. I will work on trying to stay mindful in stages. This is a lifelong habit. Family meal times when I was a child were horrible. Always filled with anger, stress and control. I think thoughts and eating quickly were survival skills. Nonethe less, I am not at that family of origin, I am in my own home and family which is totally for the better. Being mindful is about the only way I can think of to break this lifelong tendency. Daniel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this open sharing Daniel. Mindfulness of eating is a strong point of interest for me as well. A few years ago I read 'Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food' by Jan Chozen Bays. It was really impactful for me and the key principles have really stuck with me (mainly the different types of hunger, which helps me to understand what part of me is really hungry for food). 

The pandemic created so much turmoil in my life that I turned to mindfulness. I needed it everywhere!  I have really tried to stop and think about what I am doing and why. It has made so much about my life better because I feel like I have really learned to be present in my existence. But I do sometimes find myself getting caught up in emotions caused by work still. I am working from home these days, and frankly enjoy it more this way, but there are days that try my patience. Long days of Zoom meetings make me numb. I walk away from the computer and really struggle to come back to Earth. My dogs help a lot to remind me to think about things again. Once I get their nudges, I begin to be mindful again.  But in a world with so much technology connection, I struggle.

• Like 1

I appreciate your comment Gillian. Thanks for the mention of the book that was useful to you. I am continuing to pursue mindful eating. I get better at doing it with each meal. Really tasting the healthy things I am eating leads to much more satisfaction. I can easily drift off into thoughts but I am improving at recognizing that process and calling myself back to being mindful of my meal. Daniel

• Like 1

@DorothyBelle - Thank you for sharing! I have to say that I really resonate with your struggles related to technology. I work from home as well, which I really love and yet it is still a struggle in some ways. Spending so many hours a day in front of a computer is very challenging for me. I have dogs as well (I think we've shared dog photos before?) who really help me to get back into the present moment. I am trying to be mindful to take more 'presence pauses' during the day - just five minutes here and there to stop and to breathe. 

• Like 1

That's great Daniel. Yes, mindful bites is definitely a practice... one that the thinking mind seems to love escaping from 😄 I am glad to hear that you are recognizing it when it happens.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Always grateful for the thoughtful inquiries posted in this forum.  Thank you, @Gillian Sanger The turning of the seasons (of of the wheel, as my teacher refers to it) brings about both subtle and more noticeable shifts in my moods, energies, thoughts, and emotions.  As my mindfulness practices deepen, so too does my awareness of these shifts. I love the fall...something about the crispness of the air and the colors changing reminds me of the beauty that is here.  To pause and to notice it.  Yet as the winter approaches here on the east coast of the US, I sense in myself a withdrawing, or perhaps a better way to say it would be a drawing inward.  In some ways, (and even as a child I sensed this), there is a sense of protection and almost a relief at the shorter days arriving- it gives me a valid reason to stay home more, quiet, with less 'noise'.  To make more space for my introverted tendencies.  To read, sit by candlelight, slow down.  I love the cloak of darkness, the solitude (or the feeling of solitude).  I relish it actually. Hope this finds all of you healthy, safe, and at ease. Rachel
    • Yeah, I'm search for the right one, that's not to expensive; hearing is everything for me...
    • This week's question asks: How is the current season influencing you? I talked to a friend a few weeks ago who lives in Australia. She expressed feeling light and energized as the summer season was beginning. Here in Sweden, the days were growing very dark, which brought about a different energy to my own being. Of course the season influences us differently from day to day, but I invite you to consider how your current season is impacting you in this moment. How does mind or body feel based on the temperature, lightness/darkness, and other environmental conditions around you?
    • enhancing non-judgmental moment-to-moment awareness Hi All!  Here is your weekly dose of "5 Mindful Musings", a brief list of what's helping me live a more mindful life. An Event I'm Interested In  Wise and Compassionate Action: Creating Tech Worthy of the Human Spirit. Jack Kornfield is a Founding Senior Advisor to this collective of impressive thought leaders who serve tech leaders and teams with the tools, knowledge, and community to create tech that brings out the best in all of us. This December 15th event should be an interesting discussion, with Jack sharing a meditation for us to start. (Note: No one will be turned away for a lack of funds.) A Quote I Like "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't -- you're right." - Henry Ford New Mindfulness Exercises I Just Shared Freely - Is It Selfish To Want Happiness? As human beings we want nothing more than to be happy. And yet, do we really believe we deserve it? Among the barriers to our happiness is the insidious idea that it’s selfish to want happiness. It’s not. In fact, not pursuing happiness may be the most self-indulgent thing we can do.  - What It Means To Protect The Mind & Why It Matters. Our minds are our most valuable asset. Mindful living requires a healthy mind and without it, we can’t realize our full potential. Mindfulness helps protect our minds, and a protected mind makes mindfulness more attainable. Learn what it means to protect your mind, and why it matters.   An Important Lesson On Trauma Sensitivity Understanding the Window of Tolerance. Understanding and working with the concept of the "window of tolerance" can help our meditation practice to feel safe and stable. It is only within this window of tolerance (or window of safety) that we can continue the mindful work of releasing past trauma. A Poem I Love The Debate I’m listening to my father and his brother, both in their eighties, debate their childhood from adjoining La-Z-Boy recliners. "We had no toys," my father insists. "What are you talking about, no toys?" My uncle practically leaps from his chair, except he can’t, on account of his back and his legs and his feet and his hips. "We had tons of toys!" Then he lists them: the playing cards ("Those don’t count," my father says); the train set ("Oh, yeah, I forgot about the train set"); the sleds — "Did anyone else on our block have sleds?" Uncle Barry asks. "Nineteen-forty, people are crawling out of the Great Depression on hands and knees, tell me: Did anyone on our block besides us have a sled?" My father’s father had a good job delivering newspapers and brought home sixty-five dollars a week, enough for Chinese food every Friday and cupcakes on birthdays. "We really didn’t have birthday parties," my father contends, and my uncle lunges at this. "What are you talking about? What about that surprise party when you turned thirteen?" "That was the only time," my father counters. Don’t even try, Uncle Barry, I almost say, then catch myself. I want this unwinnable argument to continue — forever, if possible. I want the Brooklyn music of their voices entwined in a duet with no resolution. I want the song — half lament, half celebration — to go on and on and on. - Alison Luterman, The Sun As always, please feel free to share your feedback in our Mindfulness Community Forums. Which musing above is your favorite? What do you want more or less of? Other suggestions? Just add a post to the forum and let me know!  Subscribe to our YouTube channel for exclusive, free mindfulness trainings. Wishing you well,    Sean Fargo Founder, Mindfulness Exercises       P.S. - Try Our 100-Day Mindfulness Challenge Receive free daily mindfulness meditations, worksheets and infographics to help you start each day mindful.  Over 10,000 people have take this challenge to become more mindful.  Sign up for free HERE. 
    • Hi everyone, I hope you are well. I just wanted to start a conversation about mindfulness around the holidays. Do you have any concerns about how to approach the holidays with presence and awareness? Perhaps related to gift giving, holiday foods and drink, being with family (or perhaps being without them this year). Feel free to share what's on your mind or heart if you are approaching a holiday seasons and have some thoughts, insights, or questions about it. There are two new articles up on the Mindfulness Exercises blog related to this topic, one on mindful gift giving and one on mindful eating. 
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.