Daniel A. Detwiler

The I AM meditation for day 51

I am not trying to throw cold water on this conversation, but being the resident skeptic I thought it fitting to note the passing of James Randi, a storied magician who among other things had established a $1 million prize for anyone who could prove paranormal abilities. No one ever could demonstrate any. He is featured in a fabulous film called "An Honest Liar." He also was an atheist. What will happen if mankind comes to develop robots possessing consciousness? Mankind already has created computers that can beat world chess and go champions with programs that allow the machines to "think" moves as opposed to simply executing preprogrammed ones. For more, see: https://thinkml.ai/top-5-ai-achievements-of-2019/ Here is an interesting article that speculates on models for conscious robots. https://arxiv.org/pdf/2002.05652.pdf What I especially like about this article is that it finds parallels with spiritual practices that correspond to Buddhist and Advaita Vedanta ones. Meanwhile, AI is being used to manipulate our behavior in ways and on scales that would make any of the fraudsters that Randi aimed to demystify extremely jealous. This is not to opine that there is not some substrate or dimension of consciousness, but it is to say other possibilities certainly exist. Again, I mean no disrespect by this.

Hi David,  I just am happy that you continue to feel free to bring your information to attention. AI is pretty creepy to me. As a child there were "horror movies" where computers took over. With all the advances in Ai there is a possibility like that. You are right to question. It is the source of learning for all of us. I want to say again something I wrote before:  if consciousness is pervasive and fundamental, what is the role of the individual person? For Buddha, the role of the person included being compassionate, calm and caring to others. I still am not sure what Rupert Spira's answer is. So I have more questions. Just for me as a person, I have some comfort with consciousness as a fundamental force. How that affects me specifically as a person is something I am not sure of. Thanks for your thoughts. I welcome them. Daniel

• Like 2

I agree with you both about the concern/questions about robots possessing consciousness. The AI predicament can certainly stir feelings of anxiety and nervousness in me.

Daniel - I think this is a really great question. With this in mind, I thought I would just mention that Rupert Spira holds online sessions these days (I think once a week, but maybe not quite that often). The one that I joined in a couple of months ago had a Q&A period, which could be a great place to raise your question. You can find more about it on his website  if you're interested. 🙂

Thanks for letting me know about Rupert's website. I did watch a youtube of him with Depak Chopra called "Being Aware of Being Aware", the title of his latest book. He quickly made mention of the relationship of a fundamental consciousness to individual consciousness. It was hard to follow. I will check out the website and see if I can ask the question about  his ideas on the individual in relationship to consciousness. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Gillian, I did check out Rupert Spira's website. There is a talk I could join on October 29th. However, I have had two bad experiences with using my credit card overseas. One was in the United Kingdom wherre Rupert is. The other through some unknown route went to India. Bottom line, a rash of charges I never made and two new credit cards in about 3 months. So, I'm too burnt by those experiences to try an international charge again. I loved the idea. My plan now is to check his podcasts and youtube programs for any discussion of the role of the individual person. It will take a while but whatever I learn this way I will share. Daniel

Hey Daniel, I completely understand that. I will let you know as well if I come across anything that answers your question in the videos of his that I watch.

Wishing you well,

Gillian