Gillian Sanger

What is one thing you'd like to remember today?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What is one thing you'd like to remember today?

We each hold much wisdom in our heart and in our bones, but sometimes, we simply forget. What is one thing you'd like to remember today? Some insight you'd like to come back to?

Today, for myself, I'd like to remember that everything is temporary. Life is in continual flow. This flow does not have to be resisted; I can open my heart to it.

• Like 1

With 58% of vertebrae species, 80% of freshwater fish, 40% of the global insect population (76% in some regions), and 90% of ocean biomass having extincted just since 1970,

... and with 70-90% of remaining species projected to extinct by the end of this century (at current rate of extinction, not factoring in acceleration),

... and with cognitive ability and average IQ scores plummeting (7 points since 1970) and dementia now the fifth leading cause of human death,

... and with human sperm viability declining 53% since 1970,

... and with climate chaos  and a ‘baked in’ 3-5 C temp increase with an exponential increase in catastrophic weather projected this century (which will collapse civilization),

... and with suicide and psychosis rates steadily increasing, 

... and as Earth’s geomagnetic poles erratically wander as the strength of the terrestrial electromagnetic field rapidly weakens as an overdue geomagnetic excursion ramps up (a geomagnetic excursion significantly contributed to the  extinction of the Neanderthal species 41k years ago). 

...  and as it becomes increasingly clear that the human species is already in an actual full-blown existential crisis,

...  I try to daily remember to get over myself and actively help others here in this age of uncertainty, mass extinction, degeneration and collapse.

- - -

It isn’t life as usual anymore. It isn’t all about our privileged and endless tsunami of dissatisfaction, constant craving, self-absorbed patterns of thought, addictive emotional reactivity, or our much cherished hallucination of a separately existing invulnerable solid ‘self’.  We are short-lived biological organisms, innately embedded in a rapidly unraveling thin fragile layer of life here in an increasingly unstable planet that we are utterly dependent on for the sustenance and survival of the human species, and as Andy Fisher wrote: 

“As the biosphere crumbles, so do we.”

The human species, right now, is crumbling. Modern people have  forgotten what we are, where we are and how where we are actually operates, to our great detriment. They have forgotten that there is no solid ground to be found anywhere in all of existence. The practice and experience of  mindfulness (or ‘sati’, translated as ‘remembering’ in the ancient mnemotechnical tradition from which it was extracted, relanguaged, renamed and repurposed for modern consumer culture) originally existed for the purpose of reminding the species that the nature of all existence is endless change, uncertainty, dependence and impermanence. 

Collapse is inevitable and most of humanity, wandering lost, disembodied, and isolated in a ritually fortressed conditioned bubble of storification and self-fascination, has no idea what is flying at us again like a speeding runaway Mack Truck.

Remembering that Earth, and the human body, have never been safe places to live is medicine for our very modern madness of self-obsession, amnesia, ignorance and denial. 

Remembering that our purpose for living is to help each other, and to protect the web of life, provides us with meaning.

As it grows darker, remember to be the light. 

06FA1A21-837E-42C8-A886-58558AF7EA5D.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Miller
  • Like 4
  • Administrators

Today I am remembering to slow down. I was away at a cabin for the weekend, disconnected from data and wifi, and I am now finding myself in a rushed state, trying to catch up with emails, messages, and the like. So my intention is to remember to breathe and to take it easy. All will be taken care of.

• Administrators
On 10/11/2020 at 6:20 PM, Erin said:

Am trying to slow down on my emotional thinking sometimes am saying that because some people try to hurt my feelings and that's how I eat over my feelings.

Emotions are definitely tricky. What you've shared here, Erin, reminds me of something a dear friend once said to me: "When the emotion is strong, the pause is long."

I often think about this when I feel an urge to react out of anger or frustration. We can give ourselves time to just sit with what is present before responding. A practice indeed!

• Like 1

Yes... Emotions so very tricky. Today especially I am remembering this...... To do this ...... When I engage in my daily meditation, because my emotions have been a weakness for me in the past ...meaning my feelings have been always easy hurt.... My daily affirmations have really help me take control of this. I am strong...I am happy ... I am always in control of my feelings and my vibration is always high high high!!!!! i always allow the feelings, but I quickly reach for my affirmations and it works so very well. Thank you for your posts!!

Edited by Kimberly
  • Like 2
  • Administrators

Hello @Kimberly! Thank you so much for sharing - and it's lovely to see you back in the community 🙂 How have you been during these times?

That is a really great reminder - the power of affirmations. It can help to create the little shift in attention and energy we need.

And thank you for your beautiful sharing @Verónica Zampach. I had to Google Translate but it came out in such a lovely way - "... I only felt gratitude for the rain, for the water, for the force of nature. I breathe this moment ... I enjoy the pleasant and restorative emotion of gratitude." 

• Like 1

Hello Gillian... Thank you very much... I am so happy to be back and be a part of the community. I have been super busy opening my new Wellness Studio. Finally all done and now I have time to be here. I love being a part and am thankful to be here.  I am well during these crazy times... keeping safe and staying mindfully positive.... I sincerely pray that all is well with you and everyone here.....  I am truly walking in much gratitude these days for sure...Be Well....

• Like 1