Gillian Sanger

Inner seasons

• Administrators

I am working on a meditation series based on the seasons and thought I'd pose a question to the community based on this notion:

If your inner world were a season, what season would it be embodying right now?

Spring, summer, fall, and winter each carry unique energies, gifts, and purpose. For instance, spring to me is a time for expansion and new life, whereas autumn is about slowing down, turning inwards, and surrender.

You might have your own interpretations of the seasons, but in any case, I invite you to share a few thoughts on what inner season you might be experiencing right now. Personally, I find myself slowly thawing out of winter, coming into an inner spring. New ideas are coming to me and I am slowly cultivating the energy to step into them.

• Like 1

I love this topic of viewing our inner and outer lives from the perspective of the ever changing four seasons.  Thank you.  Although it is a bit hard to accept, I realize that I am now living in the Autumn season of my life.  However my inner season feels like spring since I living into one of the most creative seasons of my life.  All in all I am grateful for both seasons.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks to all for your answers! Paul, you bring up a really important point which is that, in different ways, we embody and express different seasons at the same time. Perhaps in one area of life, we feel the blossoming of spring and summer... and yet in another, we can feel still, contemplative, and inward-oriented. 

The seasons for me also change rapidly. I haven't read too much about it yet, but I know that the female menstrual cycle can be broken down into different energies and seasons that affects us accordingly. So that is something I am always working with as well!

• Administrators

I'm sharing a response to this question offered by @Daniel A. Detwiler (reposting from my profile to this thread with his approval):

The question I am responding to is what season describes me and my life.  At age 73 I wo uld say Autumn.  That season is often warm, sunny and filled with blue skies. The leaves which turn color here in Illinois are always beautiful. They have an earthy smell when piled up and a nice curnch when you walk on them. Later, the month grows colder. There are days which darken sooner and things turn colder towards winter. Indoor activities heighten with warm good, cider and mulled wine shared with friends. My life is in the stage of Autumn. I have plenty of good and warm relationships. Walking in the park on warm days is wonderful. I watch my grandson play flag football and marvel at his coordination and his height which surpasses mine. My granddaughter and her girl scout Troop is readying for the annual Scare Crow contest during the pumpkin fest at the arboretum.  Her dancing classes yield a more lovely and strong young woman. They are my harvest. As Khalil Gibran says " they live in the house of the future which you can't visit even in your dreams". They will reach it however, and carry me in their hearts with them. My spiritual growth continues. After growing up Christian their is room in my life for the Buddha, his ethics and practices which enhance my understanding of Christianity. Mindfulness helps me recognize that my energy is part of the vast existence of Consciousness which is known in loving presence. I lived a life of helping others. I didn't do things perfectly but I did things mostly well. While my wife and I have a lot to liive for and to experience I feel some increasing readiness for peace and I mean the final peace. When my time is over, I suspect I will welcome whatever happens or doesn't afterward. Daniel

Yeah, I'm searching for the right one, that's not too expensive; hearing is everything for me...actually, I found the Perfect one yesterday...it resonates so beautifully!

And I bought in McKinney, TX in a little shop off, what we call "The Square"!

I was shooting there today! Various Festive activities going on in "The Square" today!

IMG_9108.jpg

IMG_9157 1.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg

IMG_9106.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

Edited by Rick @ FinestCoaching
added more info and Photos!
  • Like 1

I have never been a fan of winter.  In fact I moved from the comfort of my home town and away from my friends and family because of the winter.  After growing up in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin, as soon as I became aware living somewhere warm and sunny (for more than a few short months out of the year)  was an option, I was gone!   Even living now in Savannah, GA where it is more than hot and less than cold most of the year and I am able to spend more time at the beach than hibernating indoors,  a winter season does still exist.  And this year, probably for the 1st time ever in my life, I embraced it.   Rather than putting up my typical fight to stop all things summer from ending I welcomed the change.   I didn't have the strength to fight Mother Nature as hard as I usually do (even though she wins every time).  So I leaned  into all that the winter season had to offer.  I think I needed the break more than I knew and I may have leaned a little too far into the indulgent seasonal foods and acceptable lower levels of activity.  Even though I was probably long over due for this winter renewal I am still having a hard time accepting it and letting myself fully experience all the season has to offer.  I am truly in joy being home and getting cozy and turning inward.  But then all that societal conditioning and outward influence creeps in telling me I should be doing more and getting ready for spring and summer and that I'll be sorry I spent so much time just being in winter when they get here.  And now that I have immersed myself so deeply in the dark, quiet, heavy winter how will I ever climb out to embrace the light and warmth of the sun?

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

What a beautiful sharing Jillian. Your words stirred something in me - this idea that perhaps when we are trying to escape the literal winter, there is something else that we do not want to sit with. Your words also exemplify the power of internal seasons. Even if we physically position ourselves in such a way that winter does not touch us, there is a change of season within.

I can understand that struggle to fully allow or accept this turning inward - this period of rest. In one moment, we can feel as if we have surrendered fully. In the next, the mind creeps in to tell us that it's not enough. There is much conditioning in the name of 'productivity' that despite our best attempts to slow down or to stop, we feel some kind of pressure to continue on.

I think that even that can be embraced. Sometimes, when I feel myself unable to relax, I turn towards that inner resistance and send it a light-hearted smile. Something like the way I would smile at a child yammering on to themselves about something. Warm and tender. 

I am sure that when it is time to embrace the warmth again, you will rise to meet it ⛅

• Like 1

Speaking of Wintering, I share these Winter Photos from McKinney, TX: I took these 2 days ago..we were in the Deepest Freeze Texas has ever seen! Millions were without Power/Heat for days and much damage was sustained to homes and Businesses, so I am inviting some Loving Kindness to be extended to Texans today; we were wearing 3 layers of Winter Apparel to bed at night; even winter hats too! Many have had Pipes freezing and bursting and flooding homes and businesses!!!

Pictured below are Condos in an expensive neighborhood called, Adriatica-a Hotspot for Photographers!

IMG_0063 1.jpg

IMG_0043 2.jpg

IMG_0045 2.jpg

IMG_0055 2.jpg

• Like 1