Gillian Sanger

How are you finding balance today?

This week's question asks:

How are you finding balance today?

We each have different tools and techniques for finding balance - and, balance itself looks different for each one of us from moment to moment. Share with us anything you are doing today (or plan to do today) to bring yourself back into alignment or equilibrium (mentally, emotionally, or physically).

For myself today, I plan to find balance by:

1) Taking a 'news fast' - I have spent too much time consuming news stories in recent weeks so will take pause from that today to reconnect with presence.

2) Moving my body - I am typically drawn to restorative, hatha, and yin yoga practices, but today my body is longing for a more energetic flow practice.

No one has ever accused me of being "balanced!" It's not really high on my list of aspirations, although being "more-balanced" is. What I think contributes to more balance and is more important to me is being grounded, returning home to my bodily sensations. For me, this means not seeking out my bodily sensations but dropping into them, surrendering to them, and letting them dictate the flow of experience. One of the people in my meditation group likened this to a lava lamp. Not only do I like how it captures being receptive and enthralled with whatever bubbles up, I like how it accurately connotes the emission of energy and light. For me it also is similar to rebooting. It's like dropping whatever had been fabricated in my mind and starting fresh, hopefully with more alignment with the body as a whole. I have heard a few meditation teachers quote James Joyce's line to describe how we often function: "Mr. Duffy lived a short distance from his body." I'm trying not to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Weiskopf said:

For me, this means not seeking out my bodily sensations but dropping into them, surrendering to them, and letting them dictate the flow of experience. One of the people in my meditation group likened this to a lava lamp. Not only do I like how it captures being receptive and enthralled with whatever bubbles up, I like how it accurately connotes the emission of energy and light

I love the imagery of a lava lamp! 

For balance I’ve found it helpful to simply step outside and listen. To just listen to the wind rustling the leaves, the planes and the cars. To the dog snuffling in her sleep and the pigeons calling. Then I draw my attention to my feet and rock for a few seconds and take a few deep breaths. Sorted ✨🙏🏼✨

Edited by Judi
Grammar correction.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Balance...certainly does mean different things to different people.

With my somatic therapist, I am currently exploring my proclivity to seek ground...always.  Trying to understand my life experiences in a way that gives me some clarity around wanting to be rooted and grounded as opposed to getting more comfortable (or just being ok with) becoming expansive and open.  I read something this week that spoke to this and inspired me to dig a little deeper (I’m paraphrasing here):

”When I want to be rooted, I sit among the trees.  When I want to be expansive, I sit among the stars.”  Lovely.

One other way I’m exploring this downward energetic tendency in balance with the upward is through  yoga practices where the focus is on the heart being the place where the apana and prana meet.  And of course, through breath- up and down, always.

Be well.

Rachel

• Like 2

I take my important pills and my vitamins, I have my light breakfast. I go to the gym to move my body. I went to Burns and Nobles to pick up my books after that I get a snack also a drink so I can charge my phone then I set up a ride back to my apartment and I do one business text to my advocate of mine.

I go on Facebook massage to talk to my best friend and my fiance.

Now am doing my online class that I care about

• Like 2

@Judi and @Rachel - I love how the natural world has woven itself into both of your grounding practices. I find such peace and centeredness in nature as well.

And Rachel, your practice of coming in to the heart space really resonates with me. I read a book a long time ago called Eastern Body, Western Mind by Anodea Judith. In it, she talks about the heart being the centre point of the upward and downward moving energies - a balance point between the earthly and the cosmic, the tangible and the intangible. I love the symbolism of this and enjoy practices that centre around this meeting point.

• Like 1

Wonderful @Erin! Yes, moving the body to me is very balancing as well lately. It helps to get the energy flowing.

It's also great that you have an online class that inspires you. What's the course about?

Thank you for sharing @joanahopkins!

These past 11 days I have been in quarantining (mandatory 14 days upon entering Canada). I am grateful to have outdoor space to enjoy, but not being permitted to walk through nature has been difficult. I am finding balance between stillness and movement these days by stretching, dancing, and practicing yoga asana. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I enjoy walking with my Ipod music and smelling the weather.  I move my body everyday when I can. I take time for my self in a balance way when I can. I cannot do my other classes in the community and that is difficult for me.

• Like 2