Gillian Sanger

What brings you happiness?

This week's question is:

What brings you happiness?

Let's reflect on the small joys in life and the large as well by considering what evokes a sense of happiness within us. I invite you to be open to all possibilities, from the simple contentment that arises from being attuned to the breath or watching a silent lake to the more ecstatic forms of happiness, such as when playing with your child, dancing, or working on a project. What brings you the experience of quiet contentment and/or radiant joy?

The early morning sun coming in through the stained glass windows in my bedroom- my house is an old Victorian, and the windows are over 100 years old.  Beautiful catchers of the light.  Quiet contentment indeed.

• Like 1

My dogs as well - they ground me effortlessly through their effortless expression of love.

In addition:

Sitting on the balcony on quiet, cool mornings

Kirtan practice

Being in the woods

Savoury meals!

What brings me happiness is to see my family enjoying good health and progressing in their lives. It gives me joy to be able to see opportunities and take advantage of them to do something beneficial to my family and community. i feel happy when I too enjoy good health. Another thing that brings me happiness is to be free from stress resulting from the demands of today's world on my finances. When I achieve success in my endeavours I feel happy.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Hi Gillian, I would recommend Swami Sarvapriananda's youtube video on Adveita Vedeanta and his one on Maya. The first describes what Advaita Vedanta is and the second focuses on the meaning of the world we live in, which is somehow an apperance of the eternal Atman, the God or the True Self.  I am glad you asked me to recommend a video. I had to think seriously about which to recommend. That spurred me to think what I enjoy about Swami. I had already shared that he is younger but deeply aware of his philosophy, could be funny and is joyful as well as serious when he needs to be. Today, it all came together, he is a brilliant scholar besides these things. I went to a college, now university, filled with brilliant scholars. I adored them and respected them. My major professor at SIU-Carbondale and the chairman of the Department of Higher Education were brilliant scholars as were the two directing Pediatricians I worked with in the Department of Pediatrics. It is clear that I am having a very positive transference reaction to Swami. I love his dedication to learning. He is a true master of Advaita Vedanta. So skilled, that he can admit all the challenges to it, value other philophies and religions in their particular quests and have his ear on popular culture. Quite a person. I prefer Buddhist philosophy and psychology but their scholars have met their match in Swami Sarvapriananda. Daniel
    • I really want to emphasize what I think is implicit in the others’ responses and that is kind and full acceptance of disliked traits in yourself as distinct from some sort of resignation. Those traits were not chosen by you out of malice but were the result of a wide net of causes and conditions. So, it is like embracing and protecting a wounded child, puppy or kitten—guiding it not to lash out and at the some time nurturing and transforming it. Repression and self-aggression don’t work. I suggest turning the self-critic on its head by kindly telling it: “Of course I see those traits, but far from ridiculing myself for them I applaud my recognizing them because it affords me opportunities for healing and growth.” You still can firmly resolve not to act them out again. That can be a good thing as long as you aren’t harsh on yourself if you fail in your resolve; with kindness you begin again. That is my thinking anyway.
    • Thank you Gillian and Daniel;  I will check out the meditation. I appreciate the ideas, sometimes I find myself overly self critical.  I am a big fan of Kristin Neff's work.
    • This week's question asks: What can you approach today with a beginner's mind? In theory, everything can be approached with a beginner's mind. From waking up in the morning to doing the dishes to talking with a friend, we can approach any daily interaction with openness and a lack of preconception. This question invites us to name a couple of things that we can approach today without assumptions, preconceived ideas, or expectations.
    • I, too, love both the image and the written passage. The words are very touching and beautiful, much like a poem.
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.