Wow! I had no expectation regarding the “Just Like Me” meditation. I found it to be very powerful. It help me re-orient my view of a co-worker. When she and I have cause to interact, I will take a breath and remind myself she is just like me. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 3:35 AM, Villa said:

Wow! I had no expectation regarding the “Just Like Me” meditation. I found it to be very powerful. It help me re-orient my view of a co-worker. When she and I have cause to interact, I will take a breath and remind myself she is just like me. 

Beautiful reflection Villa. I really find this practice so nourishing as well. It is so common for us to become caught up in how we are different from others (esp. those we have challenges with), and therefore it is a powerful reminder of our connectedness when we explore this type of meditation.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:35 AM, Villa said:

I have missed this wonderful meditation.  I will be grateful if you could send it to me

Many thanks

Ari

arimorgan1943@gmail.com

• Like 1

I just had my 73rd birthday yesterday. It has given me the different perspective as Spanish speakers would say, of a "viejo" an old one. Seeing ourselves in others is powerful. It seems that the lesson of this meditation goes hand in hand with the ability to communicate in difficult situations. Understanding deepens with the awareness of common human wishes, longings and experiences. Deeper understanding is possible and improved communication is possible. At my stage of life, for me, I would also say not all change is desired by others. People can build up ways of being that don't change much. However, their style of being who they are could change. The ways they find to interact could be open to modification as they find ways that work better.  For me, it is in that arena that growth can be unblocked especially when they interact with ones who regard them as "just like me". So, I might not expect transformation but rather a friendlier style of interacting with the world which is a success for human kind. Daniel

• Like 1

Happy birthday Daniel! What a wonderful reflection to share following your 73rd full trip around the sun. Yes absolutely - this is a wonderful practice to deepen our ability to communicate better with those we might have difficulties with. When we clear away all the surface 'stuff', we realize that we are all fundamentally the same - and that makes it easier to then navigate the differences of opinion, belief, etc. 

Thanks for sharing!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• What great responses. All so very unique! Similar to David, what I do when I don't feel like meditating depends upon what is going on in mind and body (i.e. am I being stubborn or is my mind-body asking for something a bit different?). In any case, what I am learning to do each morning, regardless of what I 'feel' like, is to commit to some sort of 'tuning in' for at least 20 minutes. This might end up as formal meditation practice or it could end up being more expressive, such as journaling, dance, or yoga (i.e tuning in and seeing what pours out).
    • Hi Janelle! Wonderful to connect with you here. It was lovely to read your reflections on day 3 (noted about the mention of the 28-day challenge in the email! I will pass it on - thank you).  I'm Gillian, by the way - the community moderator. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I read in your other post that you wish to be more consistent with your practice. I definitely think the 100 day challenge will be great for that. Do you have any favourite practices or teachers of mindfulness?
    • If I don’t feel like meditating, before simply giving in I try to examine what is going on that has given rise to an aversion to meditating. Often that settles me right down, but if it doesn’t the next step for me is evaluating my affordable energy. If my tank is empty, then maybe I need sleep or a refreshing exercise. If I’m too agitated, I do some walking meditation or Tai Chi first. If aversion about something else seems to be the problem, then I meditate but start with practices to generate kindness and compassion. It usually makes being with aversion simply part of being what we are that I can regard with kind acceptance. Sometimes I seek out a rewarding interaction with another person before meditating or resolve to do so later. That seems to help tilt my perspective from being aversive to being more enthusiastically engaging. I really think a big part of developing enthusiasm for formal meditation practice is developing an attitude of friendship toward oneself and others, as challenging as that is for me. But, “challenging” is o.k. too. Boredom used to be an interesting challenge. When I would get bored I learned simply to meditate anyway and do two things—examine boredom and really ground my attention in other sensations of my body. So much would be going on aside from boredom.😊 Boredom off the cushion is harder for me because it seems to come down to things I wish I could change but cannot. I’m a bit of a doom scroller, but I also use the pent-up energy to read and try to better understand things, to better understand how we delude ourselves. LOL, that often leads me right back to the meditation cushion! 
    • “What do you do when you don't feel like meditating?” Then I don’t. 
    • Hello from Oregon.  My username describes the area I call home - and my everyday name is Janelle.  Just starting on the 100 Day Challenge (day 3 in the bag!).  Looking forward to popping in/out to see what is going on.  I do love seeing all the locales that people hail from - so wonderful.  
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.