Jump to content
Gillian Sanger

What are some of your personal beliefs that you want to bring greater mindfulness to?

Recommended Posts

This week's question asks:

What are some of your personal beliefs that you want to bring greater mindfulness to?

We all hold somewhere within us beliefs that do not serve us. Which of your own beliefs would you like to bring greater mindfulness to? When you become aware of limiting or negative beliefs within you, what do you 'do' with them?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great question!

I hold the belief that I have great ideas and aspirations, but lack the character and ability to make them come into being.  I have doubts I can breathe my vision to life.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Healing through Nature; Healing nature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, WBA, I was going to contribute a slightly different way of belittling myself, judging myself deficient. But, I don’t think the particular flavors matter.

I do think it is good to have realistic ideas of our limitations, but that is different from letting judgments of them define and limit us. Maybe it can help us take appropriate steps to create conditions more conducive to success when we “go for it?”

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, WellBeingAnnie said:

Great question!

I hold the belief that I have great ideas and aspirations, but lack the character and ability to make them come into being.  I have doubts I can breathe my vision to life.  

I think this is so so common (I can recognize it in myself as well!). The inner critic can be incredibly tenacious.

I'd love to hear more about your ideas and aspirations. Maybe I will make a group for us to share our visions and hopes so that we can be of support for one another. 

Yes, I'll do that... and then I'll share the link here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2020 at 5:04 AM, David Weiskopf said:

Thanks, WBA, I was going to contribute a slightly different way of belittling myself, judging myself deficient. But, I don’t think the particular flavors matter.

I do think it is good to have realistic ideas of our limitations, but that is different from letting judgments of them define and limit us. Maybe it can help us take appropriate steps to create conditions more conducive to success when we “go for it?”

Hi David,

 I definitely agree that it can be a good thing to have realistic ideas about our limitations. It makes me think of something a psychoanalyst I was once working with said to me. I was talking about judging myself for something and she asked, "Were you judging or criticizing?" Healthy judgment can help us to see where we are and where we want to go, but criticism (in my view) is without the compassion and encouragement required to make real change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@WellBeingAnnie - Here is the new club! All are welcome to join. My intention is for this to be a space for us to share what projects we are working on (or want to begin) and to support and encourage one another.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like everyone here, I get caught in the loop of low self worth and not enough-ness.  When I really feel it rise, in times of transition, disagreement, or doubt, I try to bring a gentle awareness to it through journaling and inner child contemplations.  I have found that helps create a softening around the hardness that comes along with beating myself up.

I also listen to a dharma talk given by Jack Kornfield in 2011 about the 10 Perfections.  Really trying to touch my true nature even when it isn't so obvious it is there.

Always, always, a work in progress.

Be well, all.

Rachel

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing Rachel! I am very interested in the 10 Perfections so I am pleased that it was brought to my attention.

Earlier this week I was also experiencing low confidence and not enough-ness. Sometimes, it is quite difficult to shake, but I did a bit of inquiry around it by tuning into my body. I could really feel the increased stress response as if there was some imminent danger to fear. I then mindfully asked myself, "What is the danger?", which helped me to become more aware of the fact that I am here, I am enough, and I am okay. 

I talked with my partner about it and he raised an interesting point that I hadn't considered. He said that in our evolution, many, many years ago, to be disapproved of or cast out of the social group could literally have meant death; we probably wouldn't have been able to care for ourselves without the support of the tribe. So, when we fear not being good enough and there is some fear of rejection there, it really makes sense that we have the same stress response as if we were faced with imminent danger. I thought this was an interesting perspective to bring to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gillian Sanger I have heard that theory about survival and rejection before.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Here is the dharma talk given by Jack Kornfield that I return to again and again to learn more about and contemplate the 10 Perfections.  If anyone is interested in doing more of a deep dive/study group, I’m in.

These are the principles I aspire to live my life by and I feel I am being gifted an opportunity to embody and integrate them at this moment.  Would love to have company along the way.

https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/85/talk/12969/

Be well.

Rachel 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2020 at 2:24 PM, Rachel said:

@Gillian Sanger I have heard that theory about survival and rejection before.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Here is the dharma talk given by Jack Kornfield that I return to again and again to learn more about and contemplate the 10 Perfections.  If anyone is interested in doing more of a deep dive/study group, I’m in.

These are the principles I aspire to live my life by and I feel I am being gifted an opportunity to embody and integrate them at this moment.  Would love to have company along the way.

https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/85/talk/12969/

Be well.

Rachel 

Great idea Rachel! I am going to give it a listen this week. I will also share your idea about a study group in the newsletter this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.