Gillian Sanger

Tips for a good night's sleep

• Administrators

I just wanted to share another resource here about using meditation to support sleep. I've gotten back to a normal rhythm now, but about a week ago I found myself falling asleep much later than usual at night. I imagine that many of us are experiencing some challenges with sleep now due to what's going on in the world. If this is the case for anyone here, there might be some helpful tips or resources in this guide: 

https://mindfulnessexercises.com/how-to-meditate-into-sleep/

On 10/5/2019 at 1:19 PM, Ro H. said:

Still learning! A close friend of mine is a sifu. He occasionally teaches tai chi, but because he's recovering from a back injury he sent me a few youtube videos for an evening qigong routine that he felt would work for me.  

I also learned some from youtube and absolutely love it!

• Like 1

I sometimes use mantras, I inhale peace, and exhale fear. I imagine pink smoke coming into my nostrils as I inhale peace, and gray smoke leaving my nostril as I exhale fear (and imagine I'm getting rid of any anxieties or worries of the day.) It works even better if I do nodi shodhana (in my mind) at the same time. This means I inhale through left nostril, and exhale out the right, then inhale out right and exhale out left, etc. When you''re upright, you actually use your thumb and ring finger to block the nostrils, but it's just as effective using your imagination- you can really feel the air just coming in/out of one nostril. It settles the mind. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/4/2020 at 9:06 PM, David said:

My routine is to take attention into the body and then do a Loving Kindness meditation, seems to send me peacefully into sleep

Hi gals/guys just joined up. Nice to know you are not alone and share. Normally David I sleep like a baby but bit stressed just now and sleep is missing. I must look into this Loving Kindness meditation but its hard to meditate when your mind is racing

Thanks for sharing the tip David - Ian

• Like 1

• Administrators
18 hours ago, Ian Murray said:

Hi gals/guys just joined up. Nice to know you are not alone and share. Normally David I sleep like a baby but bit stressed just now and sleep is missing. I must look into this Loving Kindness meditation but its hard to meditate when your mind is racing

Thanks for sharing the tip David - Ian

Welcome @Ian Murray! Yes, meditating when we are stressed and the mind is racing is definitely difficult. Have you tried guided meditations? I find them to be really helpful, especially when I am struggling to stay focused and present.

Here are a couple of loving kindness practices you might like to check out:

https://mindfulnessexercises.com/downloads/loving-kindness-meditation/ with Kristin Neff

https://mindfulnessexercises.com/downloads/loving-kindness/ with Sean Fargo

• Administrators

Hello everyone! It has been awhile since I've seen some of you. I hope everyone is keeping well during these strange times. 

As you've all shared your thoughts on mindfulness for sleep, I am sharing here a new poll I've created to create a clearer snapshot of what practices we all turn to when we are struggling to fall (or to stay) asleep. You can find it here if you're interested in casting your vote: