Gillian Sanger

Tips for a good night's sleep

• Administrators

I usually sleep pretty well, but when I don't, it's usually because I've napped late in the day or am mentally preoccupied with something. Lavender oil and deep, mindful breathing usually help to settle me. A while ago, I also discovered a practice called 4-7-8 breathing (by Andrew Weil), which I used to practice more regularly - it's very settling!

Any other sleep tips?

• Like 1

Lavender oil is a staple for me as well. Besides the usual uses,  I also add it to my evening skincare routine (body moisturizers & hair oils - also really great for itchy winter nights skin). I'm enveloped in the smell by bedtime. ☺️

I started practicing an evening qigong routine that I'm really enjoying.  I completely notice the difference in how long it takes me to fall asleep, or how often I wake up during the night, when/if I skip evenings. 

Edited by Ro H.
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I wanted to share another tip that has really helped me to let go of the day and ease into sleep.

I've gotten into the practice of writing a next day to-do list at the end of each work day. This has really helped me to feel better organized, and it helps me to relax with greater ease each night. When I wake up in the morning, I tend to feel better rested and confident in what I have to accomplish.

I also love this track (which I think I shared in a thread on anxiety); it's so deeply restorative.

https://mindfulnessexercises.com/relaxing-sleep-music-video/

If you are like me and have one of those "curious minds," this book will give you an overwhelming amount of answers to important questions about sleep in addition to tips. It's the first sleep book by a leading scientific expert--Matthew Walker, PhD, preeminent neuroscientist, sleep expert, former professor of psychiatry at Harvard University and Director of UC Berkeley's Sleep and Neuroimaging Lab. Why We Sleep is a must-read for anyone who is serious about getting a good night's sleep.

• Like 2

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Bekki said:

If you are like me and have one of those "curious minds," this book will give you an overwhelming amount of answers to important questions about sleep in addition to tips. It's the first sleep book by a leading scientific expert--Matthew Walker, PhD, preeminent neuroscientist, sleep expert, former professor of psychiatry at Harvard University and Director of UC Berkeley's Sleep and Neuroimaging Lab. Why We Sleep is a must-read for anyone who is serious about getting a good night's sleep.

Oh funny you should mention him @Bekki! I just recently listened to him on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast - episode 1109. Fascinating information!!

• Like 2

I use music in my Qigong practice and meditation I use different types of sounds.  To sleep I take deep breaths and stretch.  Legs, arms and back are the most tense and think of nothing.  I sleep right away.  I get my nights and days a bit mixed up but I do sleep 6-10 hours a day.  I used to take medicine.  I could barely crawl to bed they wiped me out.  That was so I could sleep as everyone else.  I decided last year that it was time to get off the pills and just make sure I sleep when ready to sleep.  

I am more productive doing things my own way, according to how my body naturally is regulated.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

The other day I went to a yoga studio that has a light therapy room. Midway through my first winter in Sweden, it was much needed! I went around 3pm and when I came out, I had a huge boost in energy. But that night, I slept so deeply, waking up feeling totally rested. I think the rise in mood and increase in energy helped me to prepare for sleep when it came. I'm heading back for another 1-hour session in the sun today 🙂

• Like 2

That sounds wonderful.  I always wondered about light therapy.  Was there different colored lights?  Each color can enhance specific moods.  I remember thinking about creating a business that had like mood rooms.  Depending on your mood when entering you decide which room *color* would best suit you.  Sad go to the happy room.  No energy the energizing room.  Over happy the re-balancing room.  Even personalities, such as black for confidence, blue for cooperation.  It seemed like it would be easy to set up.  Just push buttons needed.  The green room could be a beach with trees.   A slow down room may be a nice rain on a field on a porch of home.  Different scenarios.  I will have to look into that.  Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Paige PIlege - Your idea sounds soothing! As for the one I went to, there were no colours. It was just high-intensity white/colourless lights that stimulate the body to produce vitamin D. You can read more about it here: https://www.thelocal.se/20151227/darkness-begone-lights-ward-off-winter-blues (I would attach a link to the actual studio but it's all in Swedish - this article talks about it however).