Hello!

My name is Jillian and I have been on a self growth journey that has been kicked into high gear in the last few months.  I have gained incredible self awareness and adopted new positive habits such as meditation, journaling, and yoga.  I used to consider myself a cynical skeptic who was just getting by, but now I have become mindful and discovered the power of positivity and the universe and I want more! I am a server in a restaurant and until recently was content with my job and planned to do it for the rest of my life.  However, I want more.  The challenge I have at the moment is I don't know what direction or where to start on a new career path.  I want to do something helpful, creative, and positive that fulfills me and also helps pay the bills.  I recently wrote and recorded my own meditation which was extremely rewarding. I also am in the very beginning stages of writing a book.  I stumbled upon this website in my research and I love it and everything it has to offer.  Id like to be involved in some kind of positive work like this.  Any suggestions, advice, or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Gratefully,

JZ

• Like 1

Hello Jillian! I'm Gillian - with a G - and am the community moderator. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a direct message.

Back to your introduction though - thank you for sharing a bit about your story! I have to say that I resonate a lot with what you've written. I, too, was a server for many years. When I graduated University, I started serving and continued doing that for 7 years. At the same time, I knew I wanted to do something different but wasn't sure what. So, alongside my work, I studied Holistic Nutrition part-time and then took some time off to complete a yoga teacher training program. Eventually, I left completely and now am a freelance writer who guides yoga and meditation on the side. 

I can understand not knowing where you want to go, but knowing that you want to go somewhere. I think my advice at this point would be to commit to something part-time that brings you to life. Maybe that's an online course, a training program, or even self-study. I don't think you need to know exactly what you want to do in order to take a step in a direction that speaks to you. When I studied Holistic Nutrition, I wasn't convinced I wanted to be a nutritionist, but I really resonated with the courses and had faith that the program would at least be a stepping stone. It certainly was. 

I will take some time to think about any resources that might be helpful for you. In the meantime, what are your reading or watching currently? Do you have any favourite mindful practices or teachers?  

Hi Gillian 😉

Thank you for the response and encouraging feedback!  

Can I ask how you got in to freelance writing and what if any kind of professional training or education you have?  I enjoy writing as well, but have no professional experience or formal training.  I would love to do something similar to what you do here.  I do not know all that your job entails but the communication aspect of it intrigues me.   I am also interested in the voiceover industry, specifically narrating audiobooks.  I have been looking into coaching and training programs for that but have been hesitant to commit.  I really appreciate the advice you offered about not needing to know everything in order to take a step towards something.  I think I really needed to hear that, Thank you.

At the moment, I am reading The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle.  I absolutely love his ideas and want more than anything to be able to live in the present and not dwell in the past or anticipate the future, however it is definitely easier read than done!  I have quite the over active mind and stubborn ego that I have managed to reel in, but still have a long way to go to feel in control.  My favorite meditations are those of Deepak Chopra.  I am currently participating in his latest 21 day meditation series and today is day 8.  I just finished listening to an audiobook by Rachel Hollis titled Girl Stop Apologizing.  Her story is very inspirational to me.  I appreciate that she admits the things most people won't, things I thought I was the only one who felt.   I also do yoga with Julia Marie everyday via Amazon prime video!

Thanks again for the helpful feedback and I look forward to being a mindful member of your community!

• Like 1

I've heard from many people who are doing Deepak Chopra's challenge - that's wonderful! How have you found the first week or so?

And as for writing, I never studied it professionally. In high school, writing was what I loved the most but I didn't pursue it in University as it wasn't the 'safe' thing to do. That inner call was still there though, so in my early 20s I started just blogging for myself and anyone who was interested in reading my thoughts. After doing that for a while, I started submitting articles to online publications for free, just for exposure. And then sometime after, I decided to make a professional go of it. Perhaps this is an example of taking a first step and trusting that it will carry you to where you want to go 🙂

Have you heard of the freelance platform called Upwork? That could be a useful place for you to browse the freelance jobs that are possible (lots of voiceover work there too). I think you need to apply to become a freelancer there before you can apply for jobs though. Fiverr is another marketplace for freelance services. And, if you're interested in writing, you could publish on Medium. Medium authors get paid according to the popularity of their posts. Not a lot each month unless you have a big following, but again, good to start somewhere! 

If I can offer a book recommendation (it is one that drastically changed my life) I'd suggest Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés. Truly transformative for me!

Gillian, 

I can't thank you enough for your helpful advice and suggestions! I checked out some of the sites you recommended and can't wait to dig in deeper.  Other than our names, it is so ironic that you recommended that book to me, because my best friend who is on a similar self growth journey as I am, is reading that and just recommended it to me as well!  I am so grateful to have come across this website.  In addition to all of the incredible resources it has to offer, I feel a special connection and appreciation for the informative conversations I have had with you. Thanks again for everything! Enjoy your wknd and Happy 4th of July!

• Thanks 1

Such synchronicity! I am glad to hear it 🙂

I look forward to connecting with you further here. Feel free to add your questions, thoughts, or insights to any other forum topic we have going - or start your own as you feel called to.

I look forward to that as well! Thanks for everything! I will peruse the other topics in the forum.