Gillian Sanger

What is one favourite mindfulness practice for you right now?

This week's question asks:

What is one favourite mindfulness practice for you right now?

There are countless different mindfulness meditations and techniques we can practice, and yet if we simplify it for ourselves in this very moment, we might focus on just one (for the purpose of this discussion) that has had a big impact on us. In other words, if there was one technique or teaching you'd like to offer to another person, what would it be?

Good morning, friends-

I have been a little MIA- after finishing up my school year last week, and spending so much time on my computer as a result of distance learning, I have kept it closed for the better part of a week.  However, I have thought of all of you here, in this community, and I hope this morning message finds you safe, well, and with peace in your hearts and minds.

Gillian- your weekly queries always seem to pop up (for me, anyway) with divine timing.  I just this morning corresponded with my teacher about how I have felt somewhat restless, both in body and mind, in the past 2 weeks or so during my morning sit.  As such, I have shifted almost exclusively in this time to chanting with mantra.  I find that the rhythm and repetition helps to ground and soothe me.  The 2 mantras I have mostly been working with are Om Mani Padme Hung and Dhanyavad Ananda (for anyone who is not familiar or who wants more information on these, do let me know).  

So in answer to your question this week, right now, I would offer up mantra. 🙂

Take good care, everyone.

Rachel

• Thanks 1

Thank you Rachel! I am glad to hear that these are divinely timed with what you are experiencing 🙂 I remember a couple of months ago having that same feeling of being ungrounded and unfocused in my practice and a voice inside me just said, "Just focus on your breath. Just your breath. That's all." The voice was firm yet amused at my over-complicating of my practice. So perhaps that is what I would offer now: breath awareness.

I find the 4-7-8 breathing pattern really helps to ground me, as does alternate nostril breathing. There are so many others though of course.

• Like 1

I really like the box breathing and alternate nostril breathing as well.  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Hello! My favorite mindfulness practice right now is yoga because I'm going through a lot of stress and yoga helps me stay grounded and connect mind/body/spirit. I just signed up to do my 300 hour yoga teacher training so I'm really excited (I did my 200 hour in 2012). Meditation is always helpful too, but lately monkey mind has been really active!

Another tool for me is writing, especially poems. I find it very soothing and a good way to express my feelings; sometimes feelings come out that I wan't even aware of.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jo L said:

Hello! My favorite mindfulness practice right now is yoga because I'm going through a lot of stress and yoga helps me stay grounded and connect mind/body/spirit. I just signed up to do my 300 hour yoga teacher training so I'm really excited (I did my 200 hour in 2012). Meditation is always helpful too, but lately monkey mind has been really active!

Another tool for me is writing, especially poems. I find it very soothing and a good way to express my feelings; sometimes feelings come out that I wan't even aware of.

I resonate with both of these practices. In fact, I've just committed to journaling again. This week I've made a point to journal and/or write poetry every morning before doing anything else. 

And that's great you are doing your 300 hour training! Is it online or in person somewhere?

14 minutes ago, Gillian Sanger said:

I resonate with both of these practices. In fact, I've just committed to journaling again. This week I've made a point to journal and/or write poetry every morning before doing anything else. 

And that's great you are doing your 300 hour training! Is it online or in person somewhere?

Love that you're journaling- it's amazing what you can learn about yourself by writing. 

I'm actually doing my yoga training through an online program. Which is kind of odd, but I have to find people to practice with (maybe on here!) to log practice hours, and I also have to do a Karma project, where I teach somewhere in the community voluntarily. I'm really excited!

I'm curious, when you journal, do you have a specific topic or just free-write?

• Like 1

That sounds great! The nice thing about online is that there is so much flexibility and you can do it from anywhere.

As for journalling, I tend just to free-write. I just sit and see what comes and then start scribbling. Sometimes it is utter nonsense that comes out; sometimes it is more profound. 😄

Journaling has been a safe refuge for me for years.  I have notebooks filled from pretty much every phase of my life as far back as adolescence.  For the last 178 days, I have followed prompts for daily journaling from @the.holistic.psychologist called future self journaling.  I find it really transformative to both have a practice that is rooted in repetition as well as to gauge my own growth from a standpoint of the direction I am moving in as well as things I hope to manifest in word, thought, and deed.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rachel said:

Journaling has been a safe refuge for me for years.  I have notebooks filled from pretty much every phase of my life as far back as adolescence.  For the last 178 days, I have followed prompts for daily journaling from @the.holistic.psychologist called future self journaling.  I find it really transformative to both have a practice that is rooted in repetition as well as to gauge my own growth from a standpoint of the direction I am moving in as well as things I hope to manifest in word, thought, and deed.

Oh I guess that is an Instagram handle? I will check that out! 

And I, too, have plenty of notebooks dating back to my early teens. They're in Canada right now (I'm in Sweden) though now I feel called to flip through them 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 1:58 PM, Rachel said:

Yes!  Dr, Nicole LaPera.  Below is a link to the future self journal information and prompts.

https://yourholisticpsychologist.com/future-self-journaling/

Thank you! I just started this this morning 🙂 Maybe you can clarify for me though - I guess the idea is to do 'Step 2' for 30 days (or until a change is observed)?

• Like 1

Yes!  That is the intent.  However, I found that once I really got into it (beyond the 30 days), there was a flow to just doing the daily prompts.  I realized that much of my 'work' was related to a few core things that were related, and that my daily entries continued to speak to that ongoing growth and attention.

In other words, I like to use the daily prompts without a '30 day-time's up' mentality,  and just meander through the days as opposed to feeling like I should have a hard finish.  That said, I do reread my entries every 20 or so and reflect.

Hope this is helpful!

• Thanks 1

spacer.pngI have used guided meditation for all sorts of reasons, ranging from relaxation through to more esoteric aspirations. I find it very relaxing & empowering. I can't actually recommend any CDs because the subject material I've used isn't what you are after, and also most of them have an Aussie accent which would probably be distracting for you.