I am a Doctor , primary care physician and . mindfulness meditation teacher . I've done trainings with rick hanson ,connected kids and recently 5 weeks with deb dana and the polyvagal theory of stress . all of these things help hugely and i feel doing the online classes has kept me grounded as i could see peoples faces they could see mine without masks and PPE . although in the last two weeks as thing are coming back to normal I'm having a huge sense of wanting to take to the bed and not get up ! I'm suffering from back pain which i never had before and I feel like I'm plodding a bit through the day . anyone any ideas about mediations that might help give me back my mojo . give me a bit of energy .  many thanks ahead of time xxx 

• Like 1

Hello @DrFiona! Thanks for the post. I think a lot of us collectively are struggling to feel energized at the moment. A few things that help me when I'm in this state:

1) Dancing - When I'm struggling to get started for the day, I'll put together a playlist of just two or three songs that feel inspiring in the moment. Then, I'll just dance freely to them. Sometimes slowly, sometimes with increased energy. This simply helps to get me into my body and out of the mind that doesn't want to let go.

2) 5 or 10 minute 'breathing break' - Another thing that often works for me to shift my energy is simply to take a short breathing break. When I'm struggling to get motivated, I am guilty of usually being attached to my phone (news, social media, etc.). So taking these short breaks helps me to pause, rest, and reset. I usually practice diaphragmatic breathing during this time, or whole body breathing.  

3) Alan Watts - When I read your post, I immediately thought about something I listened to a few months back that really helped me to feel less anxiety and more present to the world around me (which in turn, made me more energized). Not sure if this will have the same impact on you, but nevertheless, here's the link: 

Hello DrFiona,

First of all, thank you for the amazing work that you do! I admire your courage and persistance and do not blame you for not wanting to get out of bed some days. I know it may not be possible, but if you can possibly take some vacation days it might not be a bad idea to do so. I love your ideas Gillian, I'm going to try those, Thought I'd add some of my own. Things that help me are:

1. Yoga, even if it's simple stretching or yoga nidra, which is basically yoga relaxation. If you google free yoga classes there are some really good ones. You can also get a free 30-day trial of https://www.yogaanytime.com and they have a great variety of classes and teachers, as well as lenghts of classes for you to choose from. 

2. Ratio breathing meditation works well for me in kicking in my parasympathetic nervous system, and it keeps me from being distracted since I'm counting the whole time. Start out with inhaling to a count of 4 and exhaling to a count of 4 (using your nostrils). Then inhale to a count of 6 and exhale to a count of 6. While you're doing this, pay attention to the natural pause that occurs at the top and bottom of the breathe. If you can, try to smooth out the pause so it feels like a circular breath. It won't be perfect, but just practice. Finally, inhale to count of 4 and draw out the exhale to count of 6 or 8, whatever feels more comfortable. When you are finished, simply release the breathing pattern and just notice. You'll likely feel a delicious sense of stillness and quiet. 

3. Qi gong. Very relaxing and soothing- try https://whitetigerqigong.com they offer some free intro sessions.

4. Tai chi. You can do a free 30-day trial with tons of tai chi workouts at https://thegreatcoursesplus.com  I know trials can be dangerous, but I make use of them all the time. I simply write the day to cancel in my calendar and never get charged. 

Wishing you some well deserved rest and peace😊

• Like 1

Thank you so much they are such great ideas . I’ve taken a week off and I’ve always felt drawn to yoga and Qi gong . I teach mindfulness too so that’s helped but the your ideas are super helpful thank you so much xxx 

• Like 1

Thanks all again . Ive been out for a walk and felt the support from your kind messages and met 5 baby swans who ive watched their mum nesting for 5 weeks , It felt almost symbolic she persisted and so can I . Ill post some pictures on my website .

.http://www.mindfulnessyourway.ie

• Thanks 1

During the pandemic I started feeling discomfort and pain in my neck and back (probably, because of stress, or because of changing my working place) .  My friend helped me with a massage and pain started to decrease. It worked so well, that I even decided to have a special chair. During pandemic it is also helping to decrease the level of stress. Hope my experience can help someone.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing @MariaDe - and welcome to the forum! I think increased pain and discomfort is quite common this year, due to both those aspects you mentioned (mental/emotional stress paired with increased screen time, working from home etc.)

I usually work at my kitchen table though I am currently browsing listings for a used desk as I think this will help to improve my posture as well as my focus.