I am a Doctor , primary care physician and . mindfulness meditation teacher . I've done trainings with rick hanson ,connected kids and recently 5 weeks with deb dana and the polyvagal theory of stress . all of these things help hugely and i feel doing the online classes has kept me grounded as i could see peoples faces they could see mine without masks and PPE . although in the last two weeks as thing are coming back to normal I'm having a huge sense of wanting to take to the bed and not get up ! I'm suffering from back pain which i never had before and I feel like I'm plodding a bit through the day . anyone any ideas about mediations that might help give me back my mojo . give me a bit of energy .  many thanks ahead of time xxx 

• Like 1

Hello @DrFiona! Thanks for the post. I think a lot of us collectively are struggling to feel energized at the moment. A few things that help me when I'm in this state:

1) Dancing - When I'm struggling to get started for the day, I'll put together a playlist of just two or three songs that feel inspiring in the moment. Then, I'll just dance freely to them. Sometimes slowly, sometimes with increased energy. This simply helps to get me into my body and out of the mind that doesn't want to let go.

2) 5 or 10 minute 'breathing break' - Another thing that often works for me to shift my energy is simply to take a short breathing break. When I'm struggling to get motivated, I am guilty of usually being attached to my phone (news, social media, etc.). So taking these short breaks helps me to pause, rest, and reset. I usually practice diaphragmatic breathing during this time, or whole body breathing.  

3) Alan Watts - When I read your post, I immediately thought about something I listened to a few months back that really helped me to feel less anxiety and more present to the world around me (which in turn, made me more energized). Not sure if this will have the same impact on you, but nevertheless, here's the link: 

Hello DrFiona,

First of all, thank you for the amazing work that you do! I admire your courage and persistance and do not blame you for not wanting to get out of bed some days. I know it may not be possible, but if you can possibly take some vacation days it might not be a bad idea to do so. I love your ideas Gillian, I'm going to try those, Thought I'd add some of my own. Things that help me are:

1. Yoga, even if it's simple stretching or yoga nidra, which is basically yoga relaxation. If you google free yoga classes there are some really good ones. You can also get a free 30-day trial of https://www.yogaanytime.com and they have a great variety of classes and teachers, as well as lenghts of classes for you to choose from. 

2. Ratio breathing meditation works well for me in kicking in my parasympathetic nervous system, and it keeps me from being distracted since I'm counting the whole time. Start out with inhaling to a count of 4 and exhaling to a count of 4 (using your nostrils). Then inhale to a count of 6 and exhale to a count of 6. While you're doing this, pay attention to the natural pause that occurs at the top and bottom of the breathe. If you can, try to smooth out the pause so it feels like a circular breath. It won't be perfect, but just practice. Finally, inhale to count of 4 and draw out the exhale to count of 6 or 8, whatever feels more comfortable. When you are finished, simply release the breathing pattern and just notice. You'll likely feel a delicious sense of stillness and quiet. 

3. Qi gong. Very relaxing and soothing- try https://whitetigerqigong.com they offer some free intro sessions.

4. Tai chi. You can do a free 30-day trial with tons of tai chi workouts at https://thegreatcoursesplus.com  I know trials can be dangerous, but I make use of them all the time. I simply write the day to cancel in my calendar and never get charged. 

Wishing you some well deserved rest and peace😊

• Like 1

Thank you so much they are such great ideas . I’ve taken a week off and I’ve always felt drawn to yoga and Qi gong . I teach mindfulness too so that’s helped but the your ideas are super helpful thank you so much xxx 

• Like 1

Thanks all again . Ive been out for a walk and felt the support from your kind messages and met 5 baby swans who ive watched their mum nesting for 5 weeks , It felt almost symbolic she persisted and so can I . Ill post some pictures on my website .

.http://www.mindfulnessyourway.ie

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• @Ali Zien - Thank you so much for this update and congrats on finding the courage to seek support! It can be so difficult to reach out and ask for help, but when we do, there is great potential for change and healing. I love how you've shared your reaction to the psychiatrist saying he believes you are stressed 😄 and how you were afterward able to note your own resistance this idea. I really think that stress is so pervasive in our society and that even those who practice mindfulness and meditation can be stressed on a much deeper level than we realize. So glad something 'clicked' for you during the session. Keep us posted as time goes on! 🙂 
    • Hello ^_^ a little update: I had the courage to approach my family and tell them that I need a professional help as I am experiencing weekly episodes and cycles of intense joy (4-3 days of the week) followed by depression (not really depression but I think just laziness ) and sometimes my mind start creating silly stories about suicide. and they were very understanding and I am really grateful for their support and kindness ♥ my sister helped me finding a psychiatrist and I just had a session yesterday ! I had few expectations but they weren't met 😄 I told him about addiction,binge eating disorder and relapsing due to the cycle I mentioned before... **Bare in mind, I never met any psychiatrists before or any spiritual gurus in my entire life** my expectations wasn't met because I thought he is going to make me tell him about the entire story of my life and that my present situation is due to "mistakes" that did happen in the past.. but long story short; he said " You are stressed." to be honest I resisted and my ego was kinda offended 😄  (doesn't he know how that I meditate every day for an hour and that I am very positive person and I read X & Y book and I watched X or Y videos about mindfulness and meditation ) this is how my mind reacted. I told him no because I think I am very calm person, I meditate a lot and I am mostly happy and my life is a total bliss and 90% is greatly wonderful but only need to understand how I can accept and change the other 10%. after speaking for a little, he talked again about stressed, and I started feeling like something is wrong and this guy doesn't understand how "Mindful" and "Awaken" I am 😄 ( I only noticed those ego related thoughts after the session ). I told him no I am not stressed in a conscious way  but maybe in a unconscious way like in the background and I am not aware of it.. after a while he started talking about stress and something clicked 😄 I just became aware that truly I am experiencing stress and this is why I tend to lean into these behaviors because they help my mind relax from all the resistance I offer to urges: binge eating helps me to feel relaxed and full this is why my mind repeats this habit and to change this habit I just simply need to nurture my brain and body with the things it needs. he described me an antidepressant medicine to keep me calm ,relaxed and to try for one month and to observe how things will go and I am really excited and grateful because it will help me to commit to my life and to my goals and also my diet 😄 so I can see the results I want. and lowkey I am excited because this medicine will help me being more present, calm and to reap more benefits from meditation !   on a fundamental level I believe it's the thinking mind creating all the suffering, I even recall sadhguru saying that "if we removed half of your brain you will be completely fine and happy" so I believe that easing the stress by medicating and meditating will solve any inconvenience.  the moral of the story is: be present ^_^
    • Absolutely Jillian! I feel the same. I was out camping this weekend and we brought our dogs who were stirring quite a lot in the night outside of the tent. I was having difficulty sleeping after being woken up by them, but soon I remembered the breath. Just watching it helped me to let go of the stories about how 'bad' or stressful it was that I wasn't able to fall asleep swiftly and soon, I naturally sunk back into slumber.
    • Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing Ali 🙂
    • @WellBeingAnnie - Here is the new club! All are welcome to join. My intention is for this to be a space for us to share what projects we are working on (or want to begin) and to support and encourage one another.  
  • Recent Topics

• Popular Contributors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.