I am not really great at formatting topics in English but I hope this one does good.

In Islam we have a term "Zikr" (Dhikr) in a sentence "Zikr Allah" which translates to remembrance of Allah (Allah is the arabic word of God, so put any mental labels away). Usually it was taught to be repeated throughout the day as it will bring you closer to God, but no one ever mentioned it as a way of being mindful... it was just a plain words we repeated for hours without any attention. before bed and after prayer (Salah) we would repeat 33 each:

سبحان الله ( Glorified be Allah )

الحمدلله ( Praise be to Allah )

الله أكبر ( Allah is the greatest )

beside that, Islam literally means to surrender and the purpose of Islam is to surrender to the divine and to be one.

so one thing I did learn from a Sufi scholar that whenever you feel stress or fear repeat (لا اله الا الله : There is no God but Allah ) to remind yourself that you worship Allah not life and you don't worship situations or circumstances and nothing can control your life but Allah.

When prophet Muhammad came he destroyed the idols that was been worshiped in Mecca because this is the purpose of Islam as I've mentioned before, not to worship external nor internal mental idols but to worship the ultimate source of love and peace, to surrender to his will and not let anything beside him to stress or worry you.

Allah says in the Quran: (Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest)[Ar-Ra'd: 28].

I just had this insight and I thought it would be nice to share it with you ^_^

On 6/9/2020 at 12:34 PM, Ali Zien said:

I am not really great at formatting topics in English but I hope this one does good.

In Islam we have a term "Zikr" (Dhikr) in a sentence "Zikr Allah" which translates to remembrance of Allah (Allah is the arabic word of God, so put any mental labels away). Usually it was taught to be repeated throughout the day as it will bring you closer to God, but no one ever mentioned it as a way of being mindful... it was just a plain words we repeated for hours without any attention. before bed and after prayer (Salah) we would repeat 33 each:

سبحان الله ( Glorified be Allah )

الحمدلله ( Praise be to Allah )

الله أكبر ( Allah is the greatest )

beside that, Islam literally means to surrender and the purpose of Islam is to surrender to the divine and to be one.

so one thing I did learn from a Sufi scholar that whenever you feel stress or fear repeat (لا اله الا الله : There is no God but Allah ) to remind yourself that you worship Allah not life and you don't worship situations or circumstances and nothing can control your life but Allah.

When prophet Muhammad came he destroyed the idols that was been worshiped in Mecca because this is the purpose of Islam as I've mentioned before, not to worship external nor internal mental idols but to worship the ultimate source of love and peace, to surrender to his will and not let anything beside him to stress or worry you.

Allah says in the Quran: (Verily in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest)[Ar-Ra'd: 28].

I just had this insight and I thought it would be nice to share it with you ^_^

Thanks so much Ali! I actually studied Sufism for awhile, and admire Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee. I actually used that mantra-( there is no God but God is how Llewellyn put it.) It sounded something like, Al- i la-ha il la ha. Is that correct?  

3 hours ago, Jo L said:

Thanks so much Ali! I actually studied Sufism for awhile, and admire Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee. I actually used that mantra-( there is no God but God is how Llewellyn put it.) It sounded something like, Al- i la-ha il la ha. Is that correct?  

la (no) ilaha (God) illa (but) allah (Allah)

I understand it's little bit hard to say that because you can't speak arabic.. Arabic is a very heavy language not hard but heavy.

Thanks for clarifying. Actually, I listened to Llewelyn Vaughn Lee say it so I think i pronounce it correctly (or close to it.) I just repeated after him. I found it extremely peaceful and calming