Guest Jenny

Three breaths before eating I realise...

Guest Jenny

When I take three breaths before eating I realise I’m not actually hungry. 

3 hours ago, Guest Jenny said:

When I take three breaths before eating I realise I’m not actually hungry. 

Isn't that interesting? There are so many reasons that we go to food other than being hungry. Food is the original source of nurturing and pleasure, as a mother's milk or formula is our first comfort as an infant. So it makes sense that when we're stressed or experiencing uncomfortable emotions (or positive emotions, for that matter) we turn to food. Plus, so many social occasions revolve around food. And our society has such mixed messages about food- advertising it and glorifying it on the one hand, then demonizing it on the other hand with messages about "bad" foods and constant new diets on the market. I think mindful eating is the key, and allowing ourselves a variety of foods with a balance of food groups, rather than avoiding any certain type of food or food group. 

• Like 2

Has anyone heard about the 7 types of hunger (which later might have become 8 types)? I read a book a long time ago by Jan Chozen-Bays called 'Mindful Eating', in which she outlined the varies types of hunger we feel: eye hunger, nose hunger, mouth hunger, stomach hunger, cellular hunger, heart hunger, mind hunger (I think I got those right).

It really stuck with me as I now pay attention to my yearning to eat in a more nuanced way, noting things like, "Oh that's my mind really wanting that," "My cells are really calling for that," etc.

2 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

Has anyone heard about the 7 types of hunger (which later might have become 8 types)? I read a book a long time ago by Jan Chozen-Bays called 'Mindful Eating', in which she outlined the varies types of hunger we feel: eye hunger, nose hunger, mouth hunger, stomach hunger, cellular hunger, heart hunger, mind hunger (I think I got those right).

It really stuck with me as I now pay attention to my yearning to eat in a more nuanced way, noting things like, "Oh that's my mind really wanting that," "My cells are really calling for that," etc.

I haven't heard of that Gillian, thanks for sharing. I will have to check out that book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

wow 😄

On 6/5/2020 at 4:48 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

I read a book a long time ago by Jan Chozen-Bays called 'Mindful Eating', in which she outlined the varies types of hunger we feel: eye hunger, nose hunger, mouth hunger, stomach hunger, cellular hunger, heart hunger, mind hunger (I think I got those right).

Thanks for the book recommendation @Gillian Sanger. I want to learn more about Mindful Eating. I know that one of my challenges is reaching for "comfort food" which is not a healthy way of managing emotions: often when I am feeling tired. 

• Like 1

There is also and maybe this has something to do with it.  When we feel lonely we need chocolate.  when we feel needy we  need salty foods.  Sad is a certain type.  Each emotions is tied to a specific food type.  I will look for that information.  Anyone remember this?