Just out of curiosity. Priyanka, how did you end up here? People move to different countries and it always fascinates me. I had a hard enough time moving form one state to another and that was only 2 1/2 hours ago.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:09 PM, Faune said:

Just out of curiosity. Priyanka, how did you end up here? People move to different countries and it always fascinates me. I had a hard enough time moving form one state to another and that was only 2 1/2 hours ago.

its an interesting story - so i come from a mixed background -mother is italian/american, father is indian - and for years they encouraged me to move to the united states - but i refused ... cuz i love living in the east ... and was very well settled - met a canadian at a yoga ashram, hit it off - did the long distance dating - and he really wanted me to move to canada and be with him...so after discussing it at length - was persuaded to move here, got married ... i still have my apartment in india - but will relinquish it since i cant go back as the borders are sealed ..so am here for a while. but once i can return to the east - i will probably do so... the only complication is that i brought my feral kitten who adopted me - so i cant leave him - he's my baby...the only time my maternal instincts woke up ...lol...thats the story in a nutshell...love got me to move... so cheesy but yeah - i mean my mum left america to live with my dad in india... my brothers wives are irish/american and swedish/american and the swedish/american moved to india to be with my brother and my older brother lives in america with his irish/american wife ...and now there is a canadian in our family ...so we are very mixed and floating all over the map so to speak ... ūüôā

• Like 1

That is quite the story and I had to try to keep up with you was moving where. I did have to laugh.  I am going to have to read it again to check who is where now. Your husband wants to move to India  I take it? That is a great story with all the different cultures. My daughter's cousin married someone from India but she grew up here so they are staying.  They had a big wedding in India and she was very disappointed that she was not invited as were most people from here not invited also. Did you have an American wedding or did it lean more towards Indian? 

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2020 at 7:19 PM, Faune said:

My friend, Shanta, is from Bengal but has been staying with her daughter for the past few months. I can not remember where she lives but now she and her husband are unable to get back to Bengal because of the virus. It sounds like you say-different in each part you go to. Where she lives the dogs are well taken care of by the people but as you know that is not always the case. She has told me of how she would go out to eat at the vendors that line the streets and it sounds like so much fun. I read something the other day about how valuable trees are there for the vendors in particular because they are out in the heat all day. She loves India but abhors Modi and his regime which she has told me about on many occasions. Trump's pal-how good could he really be?

Enjoy the hug. I really must make more of an effort to have a tree hug. I used to have them in the woods behind my house but since my Henry died I can not go up there without him. Now I walk to the pond down the road to see the geese in the morning and Frankie, the old dachshund, and I walk down the other way later on.

You as well.

Shanta is probably either from kolkatta or from west bengal ...since you mentioned bengal... and yes i love and miss street food - even my husband loves street food - and interestingly enough his system can handle it.. the vendors make india what it is ... abut sadly we are picking up all the garbage from the west like mcdonalds, and malls and losing our colour slowly...

alot of people abhor modi and yet he still remains in power ...its an odd irony - for he has destroyed my country and brought in divisiveness - and where indias beauty lay in the fact that a mosque, church, temple and gurudwara would be on the same street - alas ... he fills the country with hatred... its tragic really .. but enough politics ...

enjoy your walk,...hope to connect with you in real virtual time some day? perhaps we should schedule a chat session via zoom one of these days? it would be awesome to meet face to face and chat about

23 minutes ago, Faune said:

That is quite the story and I had to try to keep up with you was moving where. I did have to laugh.  I am going to have to read it again to check who is where now. Your husband wants to move to India  I take it? That is a great story with all the different cultures. My daughter's cousin married someone from India but she grew up here so they are staying.  They had a big wedding in India and she was very disappointed that she was not invited as were most people from here not invited also. Did you have an American wedding or did it lean more towards Indian? 

hahah - sorry i didnt meant to confuse you with a barrage of information...my husband loves the east and wants to travel there (as i do too ofcourse) - especially when its snowing here in canada for 10 out of 12 months (just kidding) but you get what i mean... so my husband and i got married at the arboretum, under the trees, sun and sky- we wore traditional indian clothes but i blended the cultures - so i wore a white salwar kameez with gold chunni (scarf),  cuz he likes me in white (as i am very darkskinned) although technically white in hinduism is worn for death/funerals - we were married by an officiant - and my hsuband wore seagreen kurta and jeans.  although a lot of my friends wanted to fly here to  canada for it - we kept it to strictly immediate family - (so it was small 15 ppl) - i wanted our families to meet and talk and get to know each other. i know i offended many of the extended relatives on my dad's side - but it couldnt be helped ... - we were planning to go back to india and do the fire ceremony and get married the traditional way, which would have included them  ...but covid struck so that ended that plan - and we might do it as a renewal of our vows... in a few years from now...

thank for being interested ...

I am trying to remember where she said, if she did, but can not. Your husband has a strong stomach I guess. I was reading something about the importance of trees to the vendors because they are in the heat so much. I sent it to Shanta even though she lives there. I did not want to presume to send her something about her own country but she found it interesting. I would not do well in the heat there but the street food sounds like fun. I am not sure what my stomach would have to say about it though. McDonald's has invaded so many countries and it is sad and angering at the same time. They make money by selling unhealthy food to people because who doesn't want to be like an American? Please read that with sarcasm. 

Modi got in through underhanded means according to what she has told me. 

That sounds like a fun wedding. I think I remember hearing that white is for funerals in India or it could be that I did not really hear that.  At least you had some semblance of an Indian ceremony. The weddings sound like so much fun. Alas you will have to wait a long time for the real India one. What would happen to your kitty if you moved there?  I had one daughter and my maternal instincts went out the window I think. She has none and that is fine with me. It is not a great world and there are too many people already.

That could be fun to do. I have been part of online meetings with mindfulness and with the Center for Biological Diversity but never just too chat. I confess my insecurities are rearing their ugly heads. It's not like I do not see people and chat but that is in  person. Still I should get over it and do it. You are in Vancouver or Ottawa? one of those?

• Like 1