Good luck on that one. Our species has a big ego but you are so right.

On 6/22/2020 at 3:46 PM, Faune said:

Your husband is a wish and ethical man. I think some people are afraid but there are those who can not deal with the calmness and lack of noise and light. When i moved to Vermont I loved the lack of street and house lights. It is sometimes so dark I can not see my hand in front of my face. 

Thank you for posting that. I do not watch movies because I know enough and after 44 years I will not go back the eating animals plus I can not bear to watch them. It is a good site and one that is very beneficial to new vegans. I am glad to see their promotion of not eating animals and their list of resources..

Thank you Faune. I don't watch movies either- at least any that have any violence in them (which unfortunately rules out most of them)! I sometimes feel like a wimp because even if there is a just fight where actors are punching each other I have to turn away...in one of my trauma trainings the facilitator said that psychologists often develop a hypersensitivity to violence due to the work we do and the reality of the stories we hear. That made sense because I used to be able to watch anything (except horror films). I realized though that there is nothing wrong with being a sensitive soul and not wanting to put ugly pictures in my head. I get to choose what I feed my brain. So if my husband and I are watching something he'll say, "turn away, close your eyes!" if there is anything violent happening. I sometimes tell him to turn off the volume too if the sounds are too dramatic.  

I particularly can not watch violence against animals but also not against people unless the recipient is a loathsome character. I push the mute button and do not watch. I am not a psychologist obviously but my mother used to tell me I was too sensitive more as a criticism than that was who I was. She is right although I do not say it in a self critical way but that is who I am. I soak up guilt and worry if I said thank you, if I said the wrong thing, and cruelty to animals something I can not bear and it bothers me much more than to people even if that also is disturbing. Children are equally as vulnerable. 

I think that is a gift and says a lot about your character. It means you are a natural empath and a sensitive, loving soul. You were born caring a lot about people and animals and those who are vulnerable. Feel good about that. We need more people like you Faune- the world would be a more peaceful and loving place!

• Like 1

I don't feel bad about it but it makes life hard sometimes. I pick up dead animals from the road and move the ones who are alive including worms and slugs.

It does make life a bit harder. Feelings are amplified. It also makes life sweeter because loving animals and beings to that degree is a beautiful thing. I admire you for your actions with animals. 

Well, do not admire what I do too much because although I am very helpful to people and nice to them I  am just not great at liking our species despite all the good and caring people. I have some terribly radical views on humans but again I am also very friendly and try to be a nice person to all. It is the generalization thing where I am cynical. I can not feel any compassion for those I see who cause such pain and suffering to yes, animals  and the planet but also  to people as well just not as much. That is a struggle for me in mindfulness because there is so much talks of compassion for all.

I am angry and sad about the preset state of the world, racism, etc. I just read of a 23 year old man who played the violin for cats in the shelter, was vegetarian, and an all around nice person and the cops saw him and killed him even as he said things that would break your heart. He was anemic and wore a face mask sometimes and in the eyes of the police he was guilty without trial. So yes, I do have compassion for people just not as often.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Faune said:

I am angry and sad about the preset state of the world, racism, etc. I just read of a 23 year old man who played the violin for cats in the shelter, was vegetarian, and an all around nice person and the cops saw him and killed him even as he said things that would break your heart. He was anemic and wore a face mask sometimes and in the eyes of the police he was guilty without trial. So yes, I do have compassion for people just not as often.

Hi Faune,

Yes, I read about Elijah's story as well. What a heartbreaking and such a terrible thing to have happened. Even these words though do not say enough in light of what happened there.

As per your post above, I can understand the struggle to feel compassionate for all. Much of what we hear and read about makes it hard to connect with our deeper wisdom and sense of unconditional love. I am curious if you have practiced metta meditation? It might be a nice gateway for you to step into offering compassion to other individuals and to the world at large in a safe and gentle way. I think it's important though not to get hung up on where we struggle to offer our compassion. Rather, we can focus on extending a little more, and then a little more, slowly letting it expand to places where previously it would not have been possible for us.

Thank you Gillian for hearing me. I do a lot of online animal activism as well as environment and for people as well and I have developed such a negative attitude towards our species-not individuals-and it makes it very hard for me day to day. I have not tried metta mediation and will certainly do that. Meditation is hard for me often. I battle constant thinking-not occasional.I will go no further but say thank you. IT may be a struggle but I have been meditating every day for about 9 months and things have improved somewhat I do give myself a pat on the back for not giving up.

I get angry about all the black people who are harassed and killed for not being white ,and I read them all, but his story touched me as he seemed to be such a simple-in an uncomplicated  way-and gentle person and his story made me very sad.

Anyway, I thank you again. I feel like such a bad human because really, I am just too sensitive to what goes on. I lambast our species as I pick up dead animals from the road so they do not get run over again and again even if they are dead. They should not have to worry about cars. WELL, I really  must stop. I have petitions to sign and a world to save -if only.

On 6/22/2020 at 5:02 PM, Paige PIlege said:

@FauneYes it was horrible in 2019.  I broke it March 28th, had surgery a week later.  then the next week went into a rehab facility and couldn;t get out for another month.  It was staying in for a year and now I am out and about.  This was the third break in the same ankle and foot.  I feel it is to slow me down and the universe saying "wait a minute" so I have found myself feeling more in my purpose since then.  I appreciate this summer so much more.  My in-laws were not nice to help me sell our home or even place their son in assisted living.  I had problems with the government placing him and paying for his care.  But I learned a lot.  I learned I DID NOT have to take all the sadness myself.  The defeated emotions of my life were not just mine.  I kept them to myself and never should have.  Now I know that emotions are meant to be experienced and never held onto.  Process and move forward is my life now.   Each time I broke my ankle were accidents, stumbling, sliding on gravel, etc.  

Thank you for the concern. I am doing very well now.  @yogawithpriyankaI am not sure how much time I will have but I will try to take part in yoga.  I have 2 meditation classes and clients that schedule.  3 conference calls weekly and a Qigong class in evenings.  Fishing on weekends.  

awesome but i think if you're ankle is not better it might not work for you this time around. you do sound like you have a very hectic schedule - wow... hope to connect at some point....stay safe and be well 🙂

I have found some practices that I amusing, one being a metta one. I just need to find the right ones. If it is warm in the morning I sit on the porch and "use" the birds to help me. I do give myself credit for having stuck with it all for as long as I have because it would have been all to easy for me to toss in the towel. Also i have this habit of doing something for awhile and one day i just stop. It is not a conscious effort-I just do it. Thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Faune said:

I have found some practices that I amusing, one being a metta one. I just need to find the right ones. If it is warm in the morning I sit on the porch and "use" the birds to help me. I do give myself credit for having stuck with it all for as long as I have because it would have been all to easy for me to toss in the towel. Also i have this habit of doing something for awhile and one day i just stop. It is not a conscious effort-I just do it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi Faune! I am glad to hear you have found practices that resonate with you. I think many of us can relate to the habit of doing something for a while and then stopping. You're not alone!

And ahhh yes, the sounds of nature. Often that is all that is needed 🌻

I would guess that is true. It is better to be able to stick with something is good for us though although that is not always the case, is it? 

Nature is indeed a balm for the soul very often.

Faune you are far from a bad human. In a class I'm taking I read an article about Darwin and how he postulated that humans who developed kindness and feelings of protectiveness toward "lower" species such as animals and plants were more highly evolved. He stated that "this virtue [concern for lower animals] one of the noblest with which man is endowed, seems to arise incidentally from our sympathies becoming more tender and more widely diffused, until they extend to all sentient beings." Naturally I thought of you right away. You, my dear, are highly evolved. Humans in general, on the other hand, may have taken a step backwards. 

• Like 1