We are a human centric and fairly self involved  species and think everything revolves around us thus the entire universe would do  the same.

• Like 1

The first time I ever encountered this understanding that humans view the world with ourselves in the centre of it was reading the book 'The Dream of the Earth'. I was in my early 20s and had never heard of anthropocentrism, but when I read about it in this book by Thomas Berry, it resonated with me so deeply. I highly recommend the book if you haven't read it. I think you'd like it! 

http://thomasberry.org/publications-and-media/the-dream-of-the-earth

What timing Faune and Gillian! The other day I was having a rough time and my husband was standing there and asked my, "how fast am I moving?" I replied, "you're not moving at all, you're standing still." He said, actually I'm going 1,000 miles per hour, and so are you. You may feel like you're stuck but you are always making progress and moving forward." Gave me much-needed perspective. Then I thought about the earth spinning around the sun (67.000 mph) and the sun spinning around the milky way (514495.347 mph) and I'm wondering why we're not in a constant state of dizziness!🌞🤪 Or, maybe we are?

7 hours ago, Faune said:

I am always baffled by people who say they hate nature. It is just uncomfortable fo them or do they really just not like it? I miss things about living in the city but i get so much in return living in a rural area. 

That sounds lovely, Gillian. I have the sunrise here. The sunset is blocked by mountains and even the first part of the sunrise is blocked. Actually I center those terms around the earth because it is we who are moving. I am sure I drive my daughter nuts sometimes with these things. Nature is indeed powerful. I walk in the early morning when the sun is appearing because that is my favorite time. 

@Jo L poignant and thanks for sharing ...

@Faune i think people who "hate" nature are scared of it...i notice in alot of horror movies they always portray forests as being full of spirits and paint them as being very scary places - so hating nature  is  probably also due to the bugs and mosquitos and other insects that generally people stomp on without a thought...or the mice that one is so quickly to kills cuz it enters the house - thinking that we are a superior species and nothing else has the right to exist....hence the state of the world...

my husband only cuts down dying, dead or dangerous trees - he refuses to cut the trees down when people want to build new driveways or install a fence or becuase the bugs are multiplying...he respects and loves trees to much that he has turned down thousands of dollars worth of a jobs for this reason ... when we look at indigenous people from all over the world - they lived in harmony with nature - and yet we live in disharmony - always trying to control it or eradicate it ... anyways just thought i would share my 2 cents...

Your husband is a wish and ethical man. I think some people are afraid but there are those who can not deal with the calmness and lack of noise and light. When i moved to Vermont I loved the lack of street and house lights. It is sometimes so dark I can not see my hand in front of my face. 

Thank you for posting that. I do not watch movies because I know enough and after 44 years I will not go back the eating animals plus I can not bear to watch them. It is a good site and one that is very beneficial to new vegans. I am glad to see their promotion of not eating animals and their list of resources..

I have thought of that too, Jo. We are moving at such speed and yet we feel nothing. Amazing. I am in such awe of this planet of ours sometimes. That is funny that your husband said that and he is so right. Again I say we are such a self centered species. It's lucky the Earth can not be given speeding tickets.

I just saw this again and had to l laugh at/with your husband. It is not something we think about often but it is always there.

That sounds like an interesting book, Gillian. Technology is a blessing and a curse. As H.L. Mencken said, "progress it the mother of problems."

23 hours ago, Faune said:

It am thinking it might be even harder to have a broken ankle in the summer because you might want to be out and moving more but then winter is cumbersome although mabe it has healed already. Either way I am sorry you broke your ankle and hope it heals quickly. You ave found a way to deal with stress and I truly understand the stress of past decisions because I have made so many bad ones. I live with the consequences of the latest and thus the others follow me around. I do not fish (vegan here) but I understand the peace of it. At the pond down the road I see people in their kayaks and canoes who are fishing and I think of how nice it would be and laugh as I think of fishing but without a hook. I went fishing once in my life when I was 5. Water can be a  balm to the soul. I would love to see what you post for yoga and meditation. My daughter started to do yoga since she has had no work but she has been very busy protesting lately so I do not know how much time she has. She was sewing hospital gowns for a while for a bit of extra money and found yoga to really help her as she was sitting a lot.

I am not sure what you mean about the government and family and all that.

@FauneYes it was horrible in 2019.  I broke it March 28th, had surgery a week later.  then the next week went into a rehab facility and couldn;t get out for another month.  It was staying in for a year and now I am out and about.  This was the third break in the same ankle and foot.  I feel it is to slow me down and the universe saying "wait a minute" so I have found myself feeling more in my purpose since then.  I appreciate this summer so much more.  My in-laws were not nice to help me sell our home or even place their son in assisted living.  I had problems with the government placing him and paying for his care.  But I learned a lot.  I learned I DID NOT have to take all the sadness myself.  The defeated emotions of my life were not just mine.  I kept them to myself and never should have.  Now I know that emotions are meant to be experienced and never held onto.  Process and move forward is my life now.   Each time I broke my ankle were accidents, stumbling, sliding on gravel, etc.  

Thank you for the concern. I am doing very well now.  @yogawithpriyankaI am not sure how much time I will have but I will try to take part in yoga.  I have 2 meditation classes and clients that schedule.  3 conference calls weekly and a Qigong class in evenings.  Fishing on weekends.  

• Like 1

I was thinking it was broken now but this is the end of the third time.  I admire your attitude as I am not sure mine would have been so positive but who knows? I understand what you mean about the government now. I know of someone who had similar in-laws. You got through it and you know what they say (or maybe you don't)-what doesn't kill  you makes you stronger and stronger you are. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Faune said:

I was thinking it was broken now but this is the end of the third time.  I admire your attitude as I am not sure mine would have been so positive but who knows? I understand what you mean about the government now. I know of someone who had similar in-laws. You got through it and you know what they say (or maybe you don't)-what doesn't kill  you makes you stronger and stronger you are. 

Thank you @FauneI do believe this to be true.  I have always looked at things in a positive way.  I think age is making things to "I dont care what people think" sort of attitude.  Experience as you say makes up a lot of it.  Been there and done that on almost everything. lol.  That situation with my ex was almost 10 years ago now so, I am very over that.  So ready for the next adventure.  I always think, " Onward, to more great adventures."

13 hours ago, Faune said:

I have thought of that too, Jo. We are moving at such speed and yet we feel nothing. Amazing. I am in such awe of this planet of ours sometimes. That is funny that your husband said that and he is so right. Again I say we are such a self centered species. It's lucky the Earth can not be given speeding tickets.

Ha! Love that. Better the Earth than police officers, right? The Earth would not discriminate or profile...

On 6/22/2020 at 8:25 AM, Faune said:

We are a human centric and fairly self involved  species and think everything revolves around us thus the entire universe would do  the same.

So true! It would be good for everyone to remember how really small and insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things...