Great time to be back at it. I'm so glad you like the meditation. Perfect, you can be use your internal voice and listen to the birds chirping. I love birdsong too. My favorite bird is the Egret, because every time my Mom sees one she says, "it's gonna be a great day!" 

Love the wind too. My favorite part of nature. Do you do much breathing practice with your meditation?

• Like 1

No egrets here or at least at my house. I have seen them once or twice though where I lived.I will have to find their call/song.  I like that your mom says that. I hope she is right. I love the call of mourning doves and we have barred owls which make me laugh to myself more than anything. 

I am trying to do more breathing practices and really would like to get myself to do them more. The only ones I can think of right now, and please tell me if I am on the right track, are the slower breathe in and longer out and alternate nose breathing. The person to whom I was listening said that we actually do that naturally as well and I could remember more of what he said about that I would tell you.

• Like 1

Yes, it really makes my day when I do spot an egret. Too bad you don't have any- they're so beautiful! Maybe you can pick your own "good luck" bird. 

Yes, you're right about the breathing practices. Exhaling longer than the inhale is very relaxing, and with alternate nostril breathing, if you pay attention, the dominant nostril does change (I think every 90 minutes but don't quote me.) 

Couple other practices I find useful. Square breathing (which they teach to soldiers who have PTSD.) First of all, while you're doing this, imagine that you're drawing a red square in front of you (visualization helps.) You inhale slowly to a count of 4, drawing one line of your square. Then, you hold your breathe for count of four, drawing another side of the square, next exhale slowly to count of four, completing the third line of square, finally hold your breathe for count of four, completing the red circle. Then, simply start over. It's helpful because your mind is occupied counting breaths and drawing the square, so less likely to get distracted.  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 10:10 AM, Faune said:

I just saw the end of your last statement. It does sound like yoga helped you save yourself. 

I have already told my daughter I want either a conservation burial or to be a tree and she and decide what kind and where I would be planted. I love saying that last part actually.

lol...i completely resonate with that - my husband is an arborist and he wanted to be planted when he passes on - or yes a conservation burial  .... or mix the ashes in with a seed and grow into a tree - something akin to that

yoga saved my life - long before teaching, i was practising as a way to deal with my demons - it has saved me for sure - but what has helped immensely has been the pranayam (breathwork) and vipassana meditation; which has evolved into different types of guided meditations

-i wanted to mention earlier that i too am adopted, never got the chance to know my biological parents nor was ever interested - but a fleeting desire surfaced at one point in my late 20's however there was never any true interest as i was abandoned and there was no way for me to search for my biological mother...

another way to access the parasympathetic nervous system, is that its recommended to exhale slowly out of the mouth and increase the exhalation so that its always longer than the inhalation ... i love the tree meditation - i will share that with my husband ...

• Like 2

You do not need ashes, which i am guessing would come from cremation, for a tree and not to sound judgmental, but it is a polluting process so it might be contradictory to a green burial.I laugh to myself when I think of being planted.

It sounds as though you have found peace. What a wonderful thing.

I am pretty sure you did say you were adopted and that it would be hard to find your mother. I has talked of a show I listed to about a girl who was adopted from there and all her adoptive mother in the US went through to get adopt her but she also wanted to find out about the birth mother. She had a clue which I know most do not. She was very persistent. I never found mine either sadly. It is lucky it was just a fleeting interest for you since it was not possible.

I do try to include longer exhales than inhales and am doing alternate nasal breathing when i this of it. So far for me to go.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, Faune said:

I mean inconsistency as in years in between and the times I did meditate were not long. It might have been easier if I had been involved with mindfulness but I didn't and again, here I am.

I love that meditation and I must try it. When it is warm and I sit on the porch in the very early morning I do not necessarily want a guided meditation voice because I would rather listen to the birds. I must try this-thank you for sharing it. I do love trees as I have said. This morning on my walk it was just windy enough.  When I hear the wind I feel the power of the trees and nature. So beautiful and freeing. I was just listening to a segment on the radio on breathing and things that those who practice meditation/mindfulness know about breathing. He talked about mouth breathing vs. nasal breathing, slow breathes in and slow and longer exhaling. It was an interesting show.

Nice to meet you @Faune, I am so like you.  Every time drama hits goodbye cleaning and organizing.  Everything gets set down right where I walk in.  I am my worse friend when it comes to cleaning.  lol.  It is better now though less drama and Like today, I had a bout with FB, I rushed it done and sat to clear the cobwebs of panic.  I began meditating in my 20s and as you mentioned off and on.  There are so many types of meditating.  It can be a trance like state.  I too, love the early morning birds and my puppy and I sit and listen with a cup of hot tea, before the day gets too hot.  That is meditation.  Being focused is mindfulness.  I am studying how meditation with guided, standing and moving is still mindfulness to be in the moment.  This is exciting to me.  Best of luck in getting 'YOU" in everyday.  I do "first thing" in the morning.  My time, or your time is so very important.  Blessings.

Hi Paige. Nice to meet you as well. You are domestically challenged too i see. I think about being organized and making it easier and then it goes out the window. Some of it could be laziness but I know there are emotional reasons as well plus I live alone and there are rarely people here so not as much motivation. I love the idea of mindfulness but have a hard time with some things and wonder how I fit into the community because although there is a love of nature and animals are mentioned I am really an animal/planet person and not so keen on our species even though i am quite amicable and do well with people as individuals. I have said this before i am sure. Morning is indeed the best and I too do my meditation then. Later on is not so easy for me. I wish I had stayed with it for my 20's were a long time ago. I also need to speak with someone at some point because I do not know how to reconcile my state of living which causes me stress with being mindful. It is long and messy and will not go into it. Even I get bored with hearing myself! How nice your dog meditates with you. Mine is an older guy and not a morning dog. I also have two cats and a not pet raccoon who has decided that i serve good bird food and so comes at least once a day.

Thank you for the message. I have not tired standing or moving. I would like to hear how that is for you.

57 minutes ago, Faune said:

Hi Paige. Nice to meet you as well. You are domestically challenged too i see. I think about being organized and making it easier and then it goes out the window. Some of it could be laziness but I know there are emotional reasons as well plus I live alone and there are rarely people here so not as much motivation. I love the idea of mindfulness but have a hard time with some things and wonder how I fit into the community because although there is a love of nature and animals are mentioned I am really an animal/planet person and not so keen on our species even though i am quite amicable and do well with people as individuals. I have said this before i am sure. Morning is indeed the best and I too do my meditation then. Later on is not so easy for me. I wish I had stayed with it for my 20's were a long time ago. I also need to speak with someone at some point because I do not know how to reconcile my state of living which causes me stress with being mindful. It is long and messy and will not go into it. Even I get bored with hearing myself! How nice your dog meditates with you. Mine is an older guy and not a morning dog. I also have two cats and a not pet raccoon who has decided that i serve good bird food and so comes at least once a day.

Thank you for the message. I have not tired standing or moving. I would like to hear how that is for you.

I LOVE it.  Since I broke my ankle the third time last year I am doing it.  Plus I practiced Qigong since 2013.  So being flexible and breathing through things comes easy but exhaustion from stress of decisions from the past I feel is keeping me stuck. Working on it.  I love the stand and move because of the visualization.  Seeing energy moving and feeling it are different and requires a lot of practice. lol.  I am walking so much better I can go fishing. I missed it for a long time.  It reminds me of my dad since I grew up with him running a bait and tackle shop.  Fishing stories of all kinds.  So peaceful.  Only I do not like the fact that the fish is stuck on the hook.  That tends to bother me.  My Buddha nature come out.  But I enjoy just being near the water and hearing the waves.  I will do a recording of me teaching the sit, stand, and move so everyone can try it out and do it.  I wish you the best in your situation.  I went through all that before 2013 and it was brutal with the government and family members.  BUT, after I had a plan and got it done.  THE RELIEF IS WORTH IT.  It really is.  Blessings. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 6:56 PM, Paige PIlege said:

I LOVE it.  Since I broke my ankle the third time last year I am doing it.  Plus I practiced Qigong since 2013.  So being flexible and breathing through things comes easy but exhaustion from stress of decisions from the past I feel is keeping me stuck. Working on it.  I love the stand and move because of the visualization.  Seeing energy moving and feeling it are different and requires a lot of practice. lol.  I am walking so much better I can go fishing. I missed it for a long time.  It reminds me of my dad since I grew up with him running a bait and tackle shop.  Fishing stories of all kinds.  So peaceful.  Only I do not like the fact that the fish is stuck on the hook.  That tends to bother me.  My Buddha nature come out.  But I enjoy just being near the water and hearing the waves.  I will do a recording of me teaching the sit, stand, and move so everyone can try it out and do it.  I wish you the best in your situation.  I went through all that before 2013 and it was brutal with the government and family members.  BUT, after I had a plan and got it done.  THE RELIEF IS WORTH IT.  It really is.  Blessings. 

sorry to hear about your ankle, ouch...  - would be awesome to see your recording - i am organising and reaching out to everyone to join us in a yoga session where we take turns guiding/teaching each other - whether its yoga or meditation etc., so it would be awesome if you could join us too, if you have the time?

• Like 1

It am thinking it might be even harder to have a broken ankle in the summer because you might want to be out and moving more but then winter is cumbersome although mabe it has healed already. Either way I am sorry you broke your ankle and hope it heals quickly. You ave found a way to deal with stress and I truly understand the stress of past decisions because I have made so many bad ones. I live with the consequences of the latest and thus the others follow me around. I do not fish (vegan here) but I understand the peace of it. At the pond down the road I see people in their kayaks and canoes who are fishing and I think of how nice it would be and laugh as I think of fishing but without a hook. I went fishing once in my life when I was 5. Water can be a  balm to the soul. I would love to see what you post for yoga and meditation. My daughter started to do yoga since she has had no work but she has been very busy protesting lately so I do not know how much time she has. She was sewing hospital gowns for a while for a bit of extra money and found yoga to really help her as she was sitting a lot.

I am not sure what you mean about the government and family and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is beautiful, Jo, and better than silence is indeed the sounds of nature. They get me through sometimes and that is no easy task. The planet is indeed alive in winter otherwise how would all the flora arise in the spring? This for sharing this. Well said from a wise man.

Yes! I second Faune's comment - these words are beautiful Jo! The other night I was sitting watching the sunset with my partner and just had this overwhelming feeling that if we all went out into nature and just sat and watched, in silence, so much peace would come to us collectively. Nature is more powerful than we often realize.

I am always baffled by people who say they hate nature. It is just uncomfortable fo them or do they really just not like it? I miss things about living in the city but i get so much in return living in a rural area. 

That sounds lovely, Gillian. I have the sunrise here. The sunset is blocked by mountains and even the first part of the sunrise is blocked. Actually I center those terms around the earth because it is we who are moving. I am sure I drive my daughter nuts sometimes with these things. Nature is indeed powerful. I walk in the early morning when the sun is appearing because that is my favorite time. 

• Like 1

Faune, I am so happy to hear you bring up that it is in fact WE who are moving. I often think about this when I catch myself thinking 'the sun is going down' or 'the sun is coming up'. It's so engrained to think this, and it's not that there's something hugely wrong with it (it's innocent enough), but it is inaccurate. The sun is in the centre and we are the ones on the periphery.