Gillian Sanger

Tuning into nature

I think too many see themselves as separate from nature and mostly  wildlife is because then they would have to realize they are animals too. As more things got invented it set us apart from nature preferring concrete and glass instead. Notice how people insult others-snakes, weasels, rats, pigs. They are just different animals. People like to control nature as if they know better and let's face it there are a lot of humans who like power and control and seeing themselves as better than other species. I always say that humans are not special or the most/on;y important species but merely the one with the power-power that is too often abused. I do love nature and wildlife and in all honesty , which I have probably said, not such a big fan of most people. I see us as no more important and that is a lot of my relationship with them even though i have been yelling at the squirrels lately as they take over the bird feeders. I am working on a better solution fo that everyone is happy because they need to eat too. They are a crazy bunch though.

i couldnt agree with you all more ...we are the most arrogant specie on the planet -

we have a lot of mice living with us in our new house out in the  country - so we usually catch them and release them out in the forest across the road from us in hopes that they wont come back where as people here are using that sticky stuff to catch them and that is so sick..its traumatizing and starves the poor thing to death ... we have a bunny rabbit that chills out on our deck every evening and drives my chotu (cat) crazy - and our bird feeders are all around the house so it works like cat tv for him - and we have blue jays, cardinals and all manner of beautiful birds coming to eat...its just stunning - i dont need people - and since we are in lockdown again i love it..i love being a hermit with my husband and nature around us...i couldnt agree with you all more ...we are the most arrogant specie on the planet - we have a lot of mice living with us in our new house out in the  country - so we usually catch them and release them out in the forest across the road from us in hopes that they wont come back where as people here are using that sticky stuff to catch them and that is so sick..its tramautising and starves the poor thing to death ... we have a bunny rabbit that chills out on our deck everyevening and drives my cat crazy - and our bird feeders are all around the house so it works like cat tv for him - and we have blue jays, cardinals and all manner of beautiful birds coming to eat...its just stunning - i dont need people - and since we are in lockdown again i love it..i love being a hermit with my husband and nature around us...

I had to laugh at what your cats do because mine do the same.One in particular-the other one just watches-will jump on the window as the squirrels run mourned looking for food.Sometimes they come up to the window of the porch and loo in and that really gets him going. They do go out but with the cold weather they are not out much and so it gives them some fun and exercise. Those glue traps are horrid as well as so many of the contraptions people use for animals. 

We are truly the most dangerous and ultimate invasive species despite the good and caring people who exist.No matter what we do we have an impact.

A wonderful photo! He looks like a very happy cat and a lucky one. Cats are funny beings. I had an orange  male and he was one of the best cats ever. You must have gotten him to walk early. i can not imagine doing this with mine but then I never tried.Thanks for the smile.

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Nice to hear from you Priyanka! What a sweet photo.

Faune, yes - the concrete and glass does create a sense of division, doesn't it? 'Us' and 'the wild world out there'. But we are an integral part of that wild world. 

It reminds me of a dream I had once: I was in Northern Ontario and I built a beautiful glass dome for myself (I had superpowers, clearly). When it was finished, I rested inside the dome gazing up at the trees beyond the glass. Later, I shared this dream with a Jungian analyst, explaining that I thought the dream symbolized my yearning to be connected to nature. She said something like, "But there was this barrier - this glass dome - between you and that natural world?" It made me pause. How immersed did I think I was when it as clearly 'me in here' and 'nature out there'? Very interesting.

How interesting the difference in interpretations, Gillian. In some ways we are a part of the world and I truly do not like being such a cynic but in my mind we are an unnatural species Every being has a role to play to keep the balance of nature but what is our role? Thankfully I am able to remember there are many good and caring people who fight for animals and the planet even if I remain a cynic about our species. Thank you for telling us about that dream.

• Thanks 1
  • Administrators

Hi @Faune,

Yes, there are many good and caring people who live, speak, and act in ways that support and care for the wellbeing of animals and the rest of the natural world. I can see what you are saying about our species, but I try to think that because we are here, we are natural and there is a purpose for us. We just need to figure out what that is on a collective scale. 💖