Yesterday I was out for a walk with the dogs and mindfully made a point to be more present with the smells around me. Since the start of spring, I have noticed the beautiful aroma of the woods becoming stronger. It is one of my favourite scents to encounter. I also noticed the vibrancy of the spring blossoms as their scent filled my nose. And as I really tuned into that floral aroma, I felt myself opening up to the joy of the world. I felt drawn towards the feminine aspects of this reality, wanting to fully receive and contribute to the beauty of the world.

Has anyone else noticed any interesting energies, sensations, or insights arise from tuning into the natural world?

• Thanks 1

Thank you for thepost.

Recently, I was out walking with my wife-- I walk daily, and now she walks with me--something that I am gratefull for. I was struck by the freshess of the smells--newly mown grass, new leaves on the trees, and blossoms--intoxicating. I was also struck by what I was seeing--birds and animals moving about, and the brightness of the colors-- grass, blossoms, trees, ferns-- a crimson epaulet on the red winged blackbird.

I alsonoticed new things that I had not noticed before, like-- hey that woods has trees in it..

Thanks,

Joseph

• Thanks 1

Lovely reflections Joseph! So nice that you and your wife are out taking daily walks. I was out again in the woods today and noticed the aromas just as intently - so very fresh and invigorating!

I walk every morning. As I said when I first came on here I used to walk in the woods behind my house which I loved. I walked with my dog, Henry, for many years but he died a few months ago and can not walk there yet. I live on a road that I do not love but it is very pretty and not manicured except for right around people's houses. The rest is trees and streams. Today I walked by the big pond up the road. There was fog over the mountain and there was the sound of early morning birdsong. Sometimes I have to remember to stop and listen to the peacefulness of it. Walking every day can keep you in touch with the seasons as you notice what comes up and when. I am not the happiest person but seeing wildflowers or birds or groundhogs or turtles or birds  in the pond brings me bits of joy. The natural world is what counts. The things we as human make are  not really a part of that but nature is well, natural and how things should be. I am surrounded by trees and have hugged them. Everyone should try hugging a tree at least once.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing your reflections @Faune. I love your sentiment that everyone should try hugging a tree at least once. I can vividly recall the first time I hugged a tree as an adult - not where I was exactly but what was moving through me. I remember thinking that 'tree huggers' are so misunderstood. Mainstream consciousness tends to think that 'tree huggers' are really 'out there', and yet given that the world's trees are so fundamental to the wellbeing of our planet and human life in countless ways, it seems so rational to honour, give thanks to, and lovingly embrace these beings.

Thank you for the reminder... I will hug a tree on my walk today.

I miss my hugs  and I think this should be a reminder for me as well to give and get a hug from one. You are right about the image-flung out and crazy hippie tree huggers. We are the ones who get what is real though. Enjoy your arboreal hug. 

I started this early and came back after my walk. I had a wonderful tree hug and had a hard time letting go.

• Like 1

Tree hugs are so wonderful! Trees are wonderful listeners, rarely talk back, and are extremely steady and grounded.They welcome nature in all it's extremes and survive beautiful days and stormy days with equanimity.  Excellent role models!

Just now, Jo L said:

Love that Faune! Tree hugs are so wonderful! Trees are wonderful listeners, rarely talk back, and are extremely steady and grounded.They welcome nature in all it's extremes and survive beautiful days and stormy days with equanimity.  Excellent role models!

• Like 1

I like that description of them, Jo. We could all use many lessons from  trees, nature, and animals. We were having a lot of wind and as long as it is warm I love listening to the trees. It is one of my favorites along with rain on the roof when i am in bed. Thank you for you beautiful note.

• Like 2

I know what you mean, David. The lunacy of the world and the US is mind boggling. I am an online activist and sometimes write at the ned of my comment that we have been here for thousands of years and yet this is how far we have gotten. at the same time we have again been here for thousands of years and look at how  much environmental damage we have caused in such a short time. I feel out of the loop very often because we are such an invasive species with so many thinking we are special and the most important (only important?) species thus the feeling of entitlement to control nature and wildlife. Animals are killed for entertainment, and I could go on but I have a very hard time being a human on this planet although I know there are so many good and caring people. the fact is though that no matter what we do and how hard we try  our mere existence  has an impact on nature. It is very stressful for me to be a human being. I am trying to improve being mindful for myself but I find it hard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And although I am not really good at the whole people thing what happened to George Floyd and what continues to happen to people of color makes me angry and sad. I abhor abuse of power. feelings of superiority, and bigotry. I check my attitudes all the time and stay aware of them. Having Trump in office has only made things worse in every area. I do not know what i will do if he is elected again as he destroys our planet and wildlife and incites hatred.

2 hours ago, Faune said:

And although I am not really good at the whole people thing what happened to George Floyd and what continues to happen to people of color makes me angry and sad. I abhor abuse of power. feelings of superiority, and bigotry. I check my attitudes all the time and stay aware of them. Having Trump in office has only made things worse in every area. I do not know what i will do if he is elected again as he destroys our planet and wildlife and incites hatred.

I hear you Faune, I feel the same way. There are so many things happening today in the world and in politics that are disheartening. I remind myself that all it takes is individuals with good hearst and good intentions, acting with integrity to make small changes, that somehow ripple out into the world.  Thank you, Faune, for being an online activist. You influence people and make a lot more difference than you can even imagine. We need to speak our truth, even if our voice shakes (one of my favorite yoga teacher always said that.) I try speaking my truth and practicing small acts of random kindness. Change and progress are possible. Patience is part of the ride. 

• Like 1

I try and always I need to remember that even in the worst places there are those doing good things. i would like to do more very often but a dog and two cats I can not go that far. Thank you for your support. You do good by speaking the truth for it is often lacking and your yoga teacher is right. Patience is not one of my virtues always when it comes to what people do but I guess that is part of becoming mindful. One of the things I struggle with in mindfulness is trying to reconcile my anger and condemnation of what people do to animals and nature (OK, hatred) and feeling like I am supposed to feel compassion for I can not. Thank you for you comments and all you do.

Posted (edited)

I hear you Faune, patience is something I definitely struggle with. Even with simple things, like waiting for my husband to finish a task. I have learned a few tricks- using the time to think of things I'm grateful for or picking up a book, instead of stewing in my mind and getting bitter.  I also try to be proactive in movements when I get pissed about world events. And sometimes being proactive for me is simply writing a poem that expresses my feelings, rather than holding them inside, or doing a yoga class so the excess energy in my body can be transformed and expressed in a healthy way. I wanted to participate in the protests in Minneapolis, but it was way too dangerous and got out of hand. Be gentle and patient with yourself. You get to have all of your feelings. Feelings and thoughts aren't good or bad- they just are. I'm more concerned about those who aren't angry about the state of the world. Try to find a way to channel your anger- sometimes singing loudly to music in the car- or even screaming in the car! helps (no one can hear you- unless your windows are down, and who cares anyway.) Plus, your love for nature, animals, and humanity makes a big difference.  And, good for you for writing about it on this forum. We hear you and validate you🙂

Edited by Jo L
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Jo. I feel like everyone is far ahead of me and more "perfect" but I know that is not true. I appreciate your thoughts.I do some of these things and am probably father ahead than I think and than I was. I will not go into what the bigger problem is right now. I used to sing more-hmm, and I trying. I take it you live in Minneapolis and it must have been frighting for those not pumped with adrenaline. Screaming-I often think of Liza Minelli going into a train station and as the train goes by she has a good, long scream. I do scream sometimes. 

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts, replies, and support. I am glad to be here and share with everyone.

1 hour ago, Faune said:

Thank you Jo. I feel like everyone is far ahead of me and more "perfect" but I know that is not true. I appreciate your thoughts.I do some of these things and am probably father ahead than I think and than I was. I will not go into what the bigger problem is right now. I used to sing more-hmm, and I trying. I take it you live in Minneapolis and it must have been frighting for those not pumped with adrenaline. Screaming-I often think of Liza Minelli going into a train station and as the train goes by she has a good, long scream. I do scream sometimes. 

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts, replies, and support. I am glad to be here and share with everyone.

You're so welcome Faune. I think we are all self-conscious about our path, and I like to think about how yoga is a practice- there is no mastery. Same thing with our mindfulness journey. And no need for comparison, we all have our own timeline.  I have major shit going on in my life so without mindfulness right now I'd be hiding under the bed.

Interesting about singing- music is very emotional for me, and I noticed I just recently started listening to music more, probably because I'm more comfortable feeling. Attached is some music I discovered on youtube, not offended at all if it's not you're cup of tea.

I love the image of Liza Minelli screaming when the train goes past. Another little trick I do when I'm anxious or upset (and no one's around, or just my husband, he's used to it) is talk out loud to myself. It's very comforting and grounding. It helps me get my head on right. For example, packing before a trip is very anxiety-provoking for me, so I'll be like, "ok, Jo, we've packed our socks, wait, did you pack your pajamas? Ok, calm down, Let's take a breather. Let's go eat breakfast, maybe have some coffee. No, let's put those pajamas in the suitcase first because we always forget those, and gotta brush my hair now because it's wet..."

I have a yoga class where the teacher starts by saying, "say "hello" to yourselves by name. Say "I love you" to yourselves by name." Try it. See how it feels. At first it felt uncomfortable and foreign to me, but now it's a lovely way to start the class. 

I'm being random but that's where I'm at.

Yes, Minneapolis is crazy right now, and I have mixed feelings; I'm all about the protests but it's gotten out of hand. I'm glad the officer is charged with murder. I don't know if you watched the video but it's an image I can't get out of my head. I wrote some poems about it to process. 

Have a peaceful day!