Gillian Sanger

How is mindfulness practice supporting you this week?

On 5/29/2020 at 7:49 AM, Rachel said:

Good morning, everyone.  Thank you, Jo and VBZivkobic.

I am about to start Trauma Sensitive Mindfulness as well.  Because I am an urban educator, I have largely taught in spaces where my students and I do not look the same nor have similar experiences.  Through my work, I have been the fortunate recipient of extensive training around Trauma Informed Schools and Healing Centered Learning.  This has opened my heart and expanded my understanding of not just the daily obstacles that marginalized communities, families, and children face, but the lasting impact of those obstacles.  

Every child (person) has the same fundamental human needs- to be seen, loved, cared for, and accepted.  This framework has taught me to so much about how to make that a reality for kids as soon as I see them each morning.  The messaging of relationships, even on the most micro of levels, speaks volumes.

I have a friend who leads yoga and meditation  with those that are incarcerated at Rikers' Island.  She shared that the basic understanding of the lasting effects of trauma apply in that setting as well.

Part of my mindfulness practice is being courageous (as Jack Kornfield puts it) and sitting with the discomfort, the sadness, and the frustration of injustice and inhumanity...so I can then go out and act in the world to change it.

Peace and ease to you-

Rachel

Hi Rachel, so excited to hear about this. I specialized in trauma as a psychologist for 13 years. I teach trauma-sensitive yoga and plan to teach/volunteer in prisons. I'm so curious about your friend's experience. 

On 5/30/2020 at 9:45 PM, Jo L said:

Gillian, I was wondering, do you ever listen or do Kirtan with Krishna Das?

I would love to get a thread going about trauma-sensitive mindfulness and trauma-sensitive yoga, if anyone is interested? 

Hey @Jo L,

Yes I do often listen to Krishna Das, either for a formal sit or as background music while cooking. I also listen to online Friday Kirtan now (not always but often) when my teachers of Hatha yoga live stream their sessions: https://www.facebook.com/LoveEvolveAwaken/

I'll get a conversation started on trauma-sensitive mindfulness and tag you in it 🙂

On 5/30/2020 at 8:52 AM, David Weiskopf said:

I have read Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness and think it is excellent. Jo’s comments are so spot on. Without trying to diminish the plight of Afro Americans or indigenous people, I just want to add that crony-capitalism is killing the US and poisoning the globe. You cannot have a system that funnels wealth at alarming rates to a very few without suffering serious harm to the welfare of others and to society itself. The absolute lunacy of current events here in the US triggers me on a daily basis. But for my practice I would have given up some time ago. It’s not just loutish Trump, but something at the very core of US cultural beliefs in extreme exceptionalism and entitlement. In Buddhist terms it is rooted in greed, hatred, and delusion. One great thing about this forum is that it reveals a counter-current, no matter how small and weak. Thank you all for that.

I totally agree.  There are so many things going on.  Where is this money coming from??More debt?  It seems we have magical money and as mentioned certain people get to most of it while others barely get by.  With the political affairs and hidden things from the government of secrecy in weapons and economy is there really a plan?  Entitlement must be what it is.  I never really thought of it that way.  But I do see it.  I agree the greed is atrocious.  And we are still taught all this for 12 years.  

I had a vision of each block having separate food to grow.  Then being able to trade for a variety around the block.  and then I had a vision of the world being leveled except for high risers, that were apartments.  People lived in these apartments that the government maintained.  I do not recall working or doing anything.  Just living there.  Normally my dreams do not mean anything.  But some, well, I guess time will tell.  I do see some people doing the plots and growing independent gardens but here the ground is ruined to even grow anything.  We need to go to South America or in the undiscovered Wilderness in the NE to get new, wholesome soil to plant.   

I am hoping things level off soon and people become better acquainted with loving kindness and compassion. 

@Jo L exactly how I see it too.  If I can send a positive ripple to create an environment of peace and equality to all on this planet that is what I hope to accomplish.  So much waste going on, our resources, our youth, our energy.  Mindfulness and focus will greatly increase the ripples that go out.  WE ARE DOING IT.  Blessings you both.  

On 5/30/2020 at 2:53 PM, Jo L said:

Thanks David. Yes, equality for all, economic justice, prison and police reform (abolition?), radical acceptance and love are just some of the keys to peace in our society. I think each of us has a role to play in moving our society in that direction- it's absolutely overwhelming to consider as a whole, but if I can greet a homeless person on the street today and make her laugh, or donate to an organization that provides books for inmates, then I am sending positive ripples into the universe that affect all of us.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

I had a vision of each block having separate food to grow.  Then being able to trade for a variety around the block.  and then I had a vision of the world being leveled except for high risers, that were apartments.  People lived in these apartments that the government maintained.  I do not recall working or doing anything.  Just living there.  Normally my dreams do not mean anything.  But some, well, I guess time will tell.  I do see some people doing the plots and growing independent gardens but here the ground is ruined to even grow anything.  We need to go to South America or in the undiscovered Wilderness in the NE to get new, wholesome soil to plant.   

Hi @Paige PIlege! I love your vision of people growing food locally and being able to trade for more variety. 

And yes, much of the world's topsoil has been lost over the past century. However, rather than going elsewhere to find healthy soil, I'm really interested in learning more have regenerative agriculture. Have you heard of it? I don't know much about it but I do believe in the earth's capacity to heal itself. I watched an incredibly inspiring documentary about a month ago called The Biggest Little Farm. Over about 5 years I think it was, a group of people committed to turning fruitless land into an abundant, thriving ecosystem. Highly recommended! Here's the trailer:

• Like 1

Thank you @Gillian Sanger I will watch that. Awesome, I would love to work in a natural environment and be able to live off the land as we are suppose to do.  If we put the effort in the earth, soil that we do in other places, we would continue to growth of healing the planet.  

• Like 1