Gillian Sanger

How does art, music, nature, or poetry contribute to your experience of peace?

17 hours ago, Paige PIlege said:

Wow, this is nice.  So this is a course creator site as well as an audio recording site?  You use this insighttimmer a lot?  I never heard of it but your audio sounds so well.  Mine sound hollow.  You do very nice audios.  Thank you. 

Hey Paige! Thanks 🙂 Insight Timer is just where they are uploaded; there are both guided meditations and courses available on there (though the courses are paid after a free trial). I have someone to help me with the audio - pairing my recording with royalty free music I've purchased.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind words! And @Rachel - Thanks for sharing the link to that Earth Grounding meditation. I will definitely be giving it a listen soon!

@Paige PIlege

When I recorded a series of meditations for children (I too am an educator, and I work in a large urban center with a marginalized, underserved population), I used an app on my Mac called Audacity along with my son's video gaming headset microphone, and it was able to be edited for noice reduction.  And was very easy to use!  I am not tech savvy really at all.  Check it out!

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 6:06 AM, Gene Williams said:

This is beautiful @Jo L, You are very talented.

Many thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards,

Gene

Thank you Gene. I appreciate your comment! Have a wonderful day!

• Like 1

I am a nature/animal person and while I moved to the wrong house on the wrong road I am surrounded by trees.mountains, and a wildlife who i mostly do not see. I walk in the morning and hear the birds and the streams, look for wild flowers, and just enjoy being there. I used to walk on the mountain behind my house with my dog, Henry, but he died 3 months ago and I have not been able to bring myself to walk there without him. I bring his picture on my phone as I walk down the road so he is always with me. I used to hug trees and I love it up there. Nature is so amazing and sometimes i remember to just stop, look around, and listen. I love storms and wind (when it is warm out). I do kind of miss the city where I lived for 46 years and I am not sure if i will stay in the state I am presently in but I appreciate the peace and beauty here (except for the road which really stresses me out sometimes).

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:57 AM, Rachel said:

@Paige PIlege

When I recorded a series of meditations for children (I too am an educator, and I work in a large urban center with a marginalized, underserved population), I used an app on my Mac called Audacity along with my son's video gaming headset microphone, and it was able to be edited for noice reduction.  And was very easy to use!  I am not tech savvy really at all.  Check it out!

Thank you @RachelI will look into audacity.  

On 5/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, Rachel said:

Thanks to everyone for sharing in response to Gillian's question.

Nature- the beach or near trees- simply brings me back to the most basic present moment.  The sense of being part of something greater than me, that is also the stuff inside of me, gives me a deep feeling of connectedness and surrender.  For just like the ocean waves flow and change, and the trees' stay rooted throughout changes of season and weather, I too, can flow and change and stay present and rooted.

I have recently been working with an Earth Grounding meditation and sitting outdoors for it.  Such a deeply felt sense of peace when the grass is beneath me and the breeze is on my face and the birdsong is close by.

So appreciate the question and chance to share.  Wishing everyone a day of ease.

Rachel

Thank you for your response Rachel. I love how you mention "something greater than me" because I think that is the key to spiritual connection. Your description of nature is lovely and great idea to do that meditation outdoors. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:47 PM, Faune said:

I am a nature/animal person and while I moved to the wrong house on the wrong road I am surrounded by trees.mountains, and a wildlife who i mostly do not see. I walk in the morning and hear the birds and the streams, look for wild flowers, and just enjoy being there. I used to walk on the mountain behind my house with my dog, Henry, but he died 3 months ago and I have not been able to bring myself to walk there without him. I bring his picture on my phone as I walk down the road so he is always with me. I used to hug trees and I love it up there. Nature is so amazing and sometimes i remember to just stop, look around, and listen. I love storms and wind (when it is warm out). I do kind of miss the city where I lived for 46 years and I am not sure if i will stay in the state I am presently in but I appreciate the peace and beauty here (except for the road which really stresses me out sometimes).

Beautiful reflection @Faune! Nature is indeed remarkable.

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your dog. That is such a difficult loss. Wishing you well!

Thought I'd share this beautiful and relevant poem:

Common Dust

And who shall separate the dust
What later we shall be:
Whose keen discerning eye will scan
And solve the mystery?

The high, the low, the rich, the poor, 
The black, the white, the red, 
And all the chromatique between, 
Of whom shall it be said:

Here lies the dust of Africa; 
Here are the sons of Rome; 
Here lies the one unlabelled, 
The world at large his home!

Can one then separate the dust? 
Will mankind lie apart, 
When life has settled back again 
The same as from the start?
  • Thanks 1

I love art.  I watched an art auction on tv the other night.  I was surprised at some of the popular artist paintings going for a fraction of the price.  Must not be originals.  I loved critiquing artwork.  When I worked at the Joslyn Art Museum here in Omaha I found it very hard to rush through it looking at art.    Especially the nature ones.  Being sensitive and intuitive I literally place myself in the art and then feel what it is.  After I was there a while I would read the introduction of the artist and work.  I am happy to say 9 out of 10 times it was exactly what the artist was trying to convey.  THAT is the most relaxing.  To be at the place of the art.  VERY relaxing.  I could easily spend 7 hours and still be looking through it.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 8:47 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

Lovely. Thank you for sharing @Jo L. I hope you are having a beautiful day! 🙂

Thanks Gillian, I thought is was poignant. Have a lovely day🙂

On 6/12/2020 at 8:47 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

Lovely. Thank you for sharing @Jo L. I hope you are having a beautiful day! 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 4:49 PM, Paige PIlege said:

I love art.  I watched an art auction on tv the other night.  I was surprised at some of the popular artist paintings going for a fraction of the price.  Must not be originals.  I loved critiquing artwork.  When I worked at the Joslyn Art Museum here in Omaha I found it very hard to rush through it looking at art.    Especially the nature ones.  Being sensitive and intuitive I literally place myself in the art and then feel what it is.  After I was there a while I would read the introduction of the artist and work.  I am happy to say 9 out of 10 times it was exactly what the artist was trying to convey.  THAT is the most relaxing.  To be at the place of the art.  VERY relaxing.  I could easily spend 7 hours and still be looking through it.  

I hear you Paige, I love art as well. My sister paints and I wish I had her talent. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself watching the auction.

• Like 1