Joseph

28 day Mindfulnes Challenge

I am enjoying this challenge, and I find it helpful in developing a daily mindfulness practice.

Today was day 8, and we practiced Focused Awareness, grounded in the breath. The reflection question struck me because I am a psychologist, and I spend a great deal of time listening to my patients. There are times when my attentiveness wains, and I get distracted. I try not to do this, but I am only human--well, part human and part monkey.

I find that when I set a mindful intention to focus, I am better able to focus. I also am finding that the more focused I am, themore I enjoy the session; my patients also appear more engaged and productive in response to my attentiveness.

Thank you for this practice,

Joseph

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Joseph said:

I am enjoying this challenge, and I find it helpful in developing a daily mindfulness practice.

Today was day 8, and we practiced Focused Awareness, grounded in the breath. The reflection question struck me because I am a psychologist, and I spend a great deal of time listening to my patients. There are times when my attentiveness wains, and I get distracted. I try not to do this, but I am only human--well, part human and part monkey.

I find that when I set a mindful intention to focus, I am better able to focus. I also am finding that the more focused I am, themore I enjoy the session; my patients also appear more engaged and productive in response to my attentiveness.

Thank you for this practice,

Joseph

Hello   Joseph,  glad you were able to do the 8 day challenge.  Perhaps you may try the 100 day challenge.  I am not sure we met.  I have a business Zenza Rocks.  Teaching Qigong as well as mindfulness meditation through Chinese medicine.  There are hints of Japanese also because of the leneage of my Grand Master Teacher.  Most all my life I have meditated.  Basically because of the sensitivities I have.  Strong intuition, premonitions, connections to spiritualistic nature.  I look forward to learning and reading posts of yours.  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:57 PM, Joseph said:

I find that when I set a mindful intention to focus, I am better able to focus.

Thank you for sharing! I have the same experience @Joseph. Mindfully setting an intention can really help to break up whatever subconscious thought is going on beneath the surface and help us to commit to what is right before us.  For instance, if there is a task or chore that I don't want to do, a subconscious thought I tend to hold is quite simply something like, "I don't want to do this/I wish I didn't have to do this right now." But by setting an intention such as to focus or to be present with the task, that subconscious mental thought is interrupted. Both feeling and action change as a result.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello @Joseph,

Welcome to this site.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, Joseph said:

I really identify with what you are saying here. I have worked in the health and social services sector for over 30 years: often in roles where I was a helper. I found that bringing mindfulness to attending skills allows me to be more attentive and skillful while attending to the needs of others. 

I look forward to following your posts.

Kind Regards,

Gene

Edited by Gene Williams
  • Like 2

Thank you for your kind words and welcome. I think that you might have commented on my introduction, but I had not replied. I am something of a tech trogladyte, and I am still learning about how to navigate this site. It appears that you have a lot of great experience, and I am looking forward to learning more from you.

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 2:38 PM, Joseph said:

Thank you for your kind words and welcome. I think that you might have commented on my introduction, but I had not replied. I am something of a tech trogladyte, and I am still learning about how to navigate this site. It appears that you have a lot of great experience, and I am looking forward to learning more from you.

Shalom,

Joseph

I understand I feel the same way.  The older I get the worse it is.  Too much new stuff going on.  I find myself also paying more attention and getting things done much faster when mindful of what doing.  Anymore when I need something done I tell myself there will be another day, or no one is here to notice it.  Then I have to work harder when it changes.  I thing of things I like doing and then it all gets done.  Mindfully rewarding myself for a job well done like going fishing.  Yes.