Gillian Sanger

Embracing Uncertainty

• Administrators

I thought I'd start a thread on 'embracing uncertainty', giving us a chance to ask questions and to share practices for welcoming the unknown. In these times, uncertainty feels to be stronger than ever, and yet the truth is that life is always uncertain. Opening to this can be unsettling, but there is also a great sense of peace to be found within it. Does anyone have any thoughts, stories, or questions to share on the topic?

Great topic Gillian! I think being comfortable with the unknown is crucial to peace of mind. We do not have control over the future, nor do we have control over others or their behavior and reactions. I agree that peace is found with acceptance of uncertainty, and returning to the certainty of the present moment. It is, after all, the only thing we have. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Absolutely @Jo L. It makes me think of something a professor at University once said to our class, which was: "The only thing constant is change."

Embracing uncertainty can be very challenging, because it really invites us to realize that everything is uncertain - our relationships, our jobs, our environment, our everything. And yet I think there is a deep peace to be found in that beneath the emotions it might stir.

It make me think of Rupert Spira's teachings. Have you heard of/listening to him?

• Like 1

@Gillian Sanger Yes it is said all living things are impermanent.  Nothing is as it seems.  Change is every second that is not the same as before.  The ability to accept change and the fact that there is an end to living in this body on this earth is important to growth.  Especially today, we have to be adjustable.  If not and we resist what the seasons show us as changes every day than dis ease takes place.  Mother Nature will take over and we all will live or die in the next moment.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Paige PIlege - I really resonate with your words 'what the seasons show us'. I also find that the seasons are such an example, symbol, and reflection of this constant change we are always going through. In 'Women Who Run With the Wolves', this notion was referred to as the 'life-death-life cycle' (or something to that effect - it was a long time since I've read it). The story the author shares in that chapter of the book show this tendency we can have to run from death (or in other words, change). Yet as we turn towards these parts of life, I think a deep sense of acceptance and understanding can be found.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

@Paige PIlege - I really resonate with your words 'what the seasons show us'. I also find that the seasons are such an example, symbol, and reflection of this constant change we are always going through. In 'Women Who Run With the Wolves', this notion was referred to as the 'life-death-life cycle' (or something to that effect - it was a long time since I've read it). The story the author shares in that chapter of the book show this tendency we can have to run from death (or in other words, change). Yet as we turn towards these parts of life, I think a deep sense of acceptance and understanding can be found.

T

5 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

That sounds like a great book Paige, thanks! One of my favorite books is called 'The Denial of Death' by Ernest Becker. It's an older book but packed with a lot of insight from a religious, philosophical, psychological, biological, theological point of view about our attitude toward death and our underlying anxiety about it, which he theorizes is a great cause for much of our neuroses. He notes that we are "gods who shit" animals by nature but with consciousness, which creates a problem because we are aware of our power and yet at the same time our limitations and ultimately our death. We try to deny our death in a number of ways, which creates psychological and existential problems. He notes that some societies welcome, and even celebrate death, which he feels is a much healthier relationship with our mortality. Fascinating but difficult read- I have something on every page highlighted. 

• Like 1

I have a very good book, I will have to go find.  I loved it so much.  It was one of the most profound books I have read.  About how to feed the soul and keep it healthy in order to live healthy.  I must read it again.   I really will need to get on top of my reading instead of playing my little game to relax.  Just not much time in the day.  I love puzzles.  Anyway, wow their are many books on the list.  I also loved the 'Art of Happiness' written by the Dalai Lama and a newspaper editor that was amazing also.  

• Like 1