Jump to content
Gillian Sanger

What mindful piece of advice would you give to the person you were 10 years ago?

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

This week's question asks:

What mindful piece of advice would you give to the person you were 10 years ago?

Or, to the person you were 1 year ago, 15 years ago, 30 years ago. Consider a past 'you' (perhaps a 'you' that still lives somewhere within) and share what you might like to say to or offer that person.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning, everyone.

For me, an immediate answer comes right up.  If I could give my past self a bit of mindful advice, it would be this:

Everything is temporary.

Hope you are all well and safe.  Have a beautiful day.

Rachel

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Everything is temporary.

@Rachel, Thank you  for this. This is a simple message and yet very profound. This reminds me about some wisdom a former boss shared with me years ago: If something won't be a "crisis" in a year from now, it is not likely a crisis!! 

This is what I would share with my younger self, my older self and my current self!! 

Kind Regards,

Gene

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Thanks for sharing Rachel and Gene! Both beautiful sentiments.

Hmmm, there is so much I could offer the self I was 10 years ago. One piece of advice or insight would be:

It is safe to say how you feel - to speak your truth. 

This theme of authentic self-expression and issues related to the throat chakra have been coming to my awareness recently. So this is something I would encourage my younger self to compassionately and courageously explore.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
17 minutes ago, Gene Williams said:

Hi @Gillian Sanger, The issue of safety is an important consideration. Growing up, I would say that I lived in an environment where it was not always safe to speak my truth. 

That must have been quite tough @Gene Williams. That would of course shift and influence your journey related to expressing yourself.

My environment was always very physically safe growing up but spiritually and emotionally it was constricting. As I moved through my teenage years and into adult life, I still held on to a lot of the 'good girl' conditioning that made me feel 'wrong' or 'bad' for expressing my feelings and needs (and to some degree, still do). So for me, learning to speak up in my teenage and early adulthood years was never in opposition with my physical wellbeing - a situation I'm very blessed to have experienced.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seek a professional to learn from and stick to it.  That experience is irreplaceable.  The teachings and friendships are irreplaceable.  I would tell my self 10 years ago to just breathe and what you see and feel is what you get.  Figure things out and get of the situation that is not benefiting you.  People that do not benefit you, hinder your progress of growing and learning. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 12:35 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

This week's question asks:

What mindful piece of advice would you give to the person you were 10 years ago?

Or, to the person you were 1 year ago, 15 years ago, 30 years ago. Consider a past 'you' (perhaps a 'you' that still lives somewhere within) and share what you might like to say to or offer that person.

I would tell myself that the present moment is all that I have, and to let go of the past, and stop projecting into the future. I would remind myself that I am more than my body size, that, in fact, perseverating about my weight and calories was a colossal waste of precious time. I would tell myself that regular meditating would do me a world of good. When I obsessed about my body and criticized myself I would suggest that I gently come back to my breath and remember what was really important- loving myself and others, living in the moment, acting according to my values, and living with integrity. I would tell myself that I am not defined by my anorexia, I would survive the pain, people love me, and I'm stronger than I think. 

Edited by Jo L
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 12:35 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

This week's question asks:

What mindful piece of advice would you give to the person you were 10 years ago?

Or, to the person you were 1 year ago, 15 years ago, 30 years ago. Consider a past 'you' (perhaps a 'you' that still lives somewhere within) and share what you might like to say to or offer that person.

To myself from 30 years ago, I would have been 26.  My oldest at 5 and my youngest at one.  The oldest going to kindergarten, just beginning to speak, autistic, behavior issues.  The youngest having no clue what was going on.  A husband that left me alone 99% of the time, faking responsibility of money earning.  I would love to say to her that "you have this", there are many other mothers in the same boat.  With no cell phones, computers or communication other than a regular telephone, I feared reaching out to others.  I grew up with the mentality that issues were left at home.  No one was to know.  I never reached out.  Creating my own fear based behavior and questioning everything I did.  I would say, "You are a wonderful mother"  You deserve peace and happiness.  Leave that man.  If you have a strange feeling that something is not right?  It is not right?  Do not fear leaving someone and always talk to your parents about how you feel.  I would say, "By creating your own space, you help create the space for the children also, to grow and emotionally process."  I would tell myself that true honesty, empathy, is out there among men.  NEVER settle for less.  NEVER> 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 8:47 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

My environment was always very physically safe growing up but spiritually and emotionally it was constricting.

Hi Gillian, I want to clarify that this was my experience as well. I was physically safe, but I experienced a fair amount of mental, emotional, and spiritual suffering. I am not feeling like a victim by any stretch of the imagination, this is just a reflection. I also had many wonderful life experiences that helped to shape the person I have become in life. I am working on integrating all life experiences and this is still a work in progress. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 1:33 PM, Paige PIlege said:

"You are a wonderful mother"  You deserve peace and happiness.  Leave that man.  If you have a strange feeling that something is not right?  It is not right?  Do not fear leaving someone and always talk to your parents about how you feel.  I would say, "By creating your own space, you help create the space for the children also, to grow and emotionally process."  I would tell myself that true honesty, empathy, is out there among men.  NEVER settle for less.  NEVER> 

I  love your message @Paige PIlege,  .... recognizing and acknowledging the fear and being kind to yourself. This is moving beyond a fear based existance and embracing your personal power. Nice!

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I think of this question this morning, a favourite old song comes to mind by the Little River Band. These are the lyrics that I am hearing:

Take it easy on me.
It should be easy to see.
I'm getting lost in a crowd.
Hear me crying out loud.

I often felt lost in the world and needed to feel and experience this message.

I did not realize it at the time, but growing up, I often experienced music as a way of practicing loving kindness.

I would tell my older self to be kind to himself.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gene Williams said:

When I think of this question this morning, a favourite old song comes to mind by the Little River Band. These are the lyrics that I am hearing:

Take it easy on me.
It should be easy to see.
I'm getting lost in a crowd.
Hear me crying out loud.

I often felt lost in the world and needed to feel and experience this message.

I did not realize it at the time, but growing up, I often experienced music as a way of practicing loving kindness.

I would tell my older self to be kind to himself.

 

Lovely lyrics Gene. I think that's a wonderful way to think about music. I wonder if you can still give yourself that message, to be kind to yourself?😉

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.