Gillian Sanger

If you could offer one piece of wisdom to a mindfulness beginner, what would it be?

I would like to offer that in Zen we like to say there is no good zen or bad zen only zen.  This is the same with much in life.  There really is not good or bad there just is.  So just be.  Experience what is being, experience the reality that it is and that is all.  Let all you experience be seen, felt and pass by.  It is then awesome to be able to process in a better frame of mind.  Blessings.    Paige  

• Like 3

I'm going to quote my favorite Sufi poet Rumi: "What you are seeking, is seeking you."  "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."

I believe the key to mindfulness is being gentle with yourself and not having expectations. Allowing whatever happens to happen. Continuing to come back to your breath, believing that breath is all-sustaining, and understanding the miracle of breath- that we breathe without effort, that the universe wants us to live even if we don't want to. The evidence is simple- try to hold your breath. You simply can't, your body breathes for you. The easiest way for me to meditate or calm myself is counting my breath. I inhale to a count of 4 or 6, breathing down into my belly, and exhale slowly to a count of 8 or 12. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 5/8/2020 at 7:14 PM, Jo L said:

I'm going to quote my favorite Sufi poet Rumi: "What you are seeking, is seeking you."  "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."

I believe the key to mindfulness is being gentle with yourself and not having expectations. Allowing whatever happens to happen. Continuing to come back to your breath, believing that breath is all-sustaining, and understanding the miracle of breath- that we breathe without effort, that the universe wants us to live even if we don't want to. The evidence is simple- try to hold your breath. You simply can't, your body breathes for you. The easiest way for me to meditate or calm myself is counting my breath. I inhale to a count of 4 or 6, breathing down into my belly, and exhale slowly to a count of 8 or 12. 

Wow. Great peace and a sense of satisfaction. 

On 5/4/2020 at 5:10 PM, Frank C said:

Thank you Gene for this post. I'm on Day 12 of the 14 Day program and the 100 days challenge and ... I'm getting a little frustrated because I think that I took on more than I could handle.  I like the 14 Day program, I've learned a few things like the "Rising-Falling" breathing technique to help me maintain focus and minimize the mind chatter/questioning. I've printed the worksheets and have filled out some of the them.  I plan to pause the 100 day challenge and go through the 14-day worksheets again in more depth.

Question: what is the difference between the 14 Day program and the 28 Day program?

I appreciate your feedback and thanks again.

Hi @Frank C,

There are no "rules" in mindfulness. This is your program and your life and it is ok to do it at your own pace. I have decided to do the 100 day program at my own pace. If I do not formally write up an exercise in my journal, I book mark it and come back to it when I am able. I have a simple rule for my practice. I wake up with the intention that I will be mindful in some way, shape or form each and every day. 

Please let us know how you are doing with your practice. 

Kind Regards,

Gene

• Like 1
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Gene Williams said:

There are no "rules" in mindfulness.

This reminds me of something the teacher of my 200-hour Hatha yoga program said to us during the training (at least I think it was him who said it, though now I am second guessing myself). Anyways, the words are:

"The best practice is the one you do." Or the one that works. For each of us that is something a bit different. 🙂

• Like 1

I have been doing meditation for a long time.  I am learning that doing regulated breathing to a bell is very beneficial.  By trying to bring more breath in, even though we do not feel it, more enters our body cells.  As we hold the flow continues because it cannot stop at any moment it is either inward or outward breath no in between.  Like magic one would say or miracle.  Sense what we feel and see is actually all energy vibrating as a level we can comprehend.  Higher and it would not be present.  Happy meditating.  

• Like 1