Hello everyone!

I’ve been lurking in the shadows receiving and ‘filing’ Sean’s emails for the 100 Day Meditation practice.

I am a Social Worker working in the Child Protection space so find my work challenging and busy resulting in a very busy mind.  I have 3 children, 2 with special needs, so have been trying to embrace Mindfulness and Meditation for as long as I can remember and never seem to find the time.  I hoping by committing to a community I will dedicate more time to mindfulness.  I certainly see the benefits when I take the time to do it.

I would like to eventually study mindfulness with a view to teaching it to parents and children as my long-term goal is to work as a therapist/coach to assist families to be strong family units providing safety and security for themselves and their children.  As a SN parent there was never much support/help for my husband and I (and our daughter) but lots for our SN children.  I would like my impact in the this world to be a shining light (lighthouse) for the whole family and help them through difficult times.

I’m looking forwarding to learning from you all, developing new experiences and a sense of calm 🙂

Cheers

Keera

• Like 3

Welcome @Keera,

We work in similar fields. I have worked in the helping profession for over 30 years in a variety of settings and have also dabbled in mindfulness practices over the years. I also just recently joined this site. 

I look forward to following your posts.

Regards,

Gene

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Hello @Keera! Thank you for the lovely introduction. It is great to hear a bit about your background and what brings you here.

Being in a community - sharing and connecting with people who are of similar interest - is such an important part of our evolution. In this world, it's so hard to fully adopt mindfulness as a way of being because there is so much that works against it. Discussing our efforts, struggles, and stories with others helps to let us know we are not alone.

It certainly sounds like things are busy for you - but it's great that mindfulness has helped each time you've turned to it. Are there specific practices you are interested in? I can point in the direction of some specific resources.

If you would like to share some of your thoughts, questions, or insights, here are some places you might start: 

Our Question of the Week - What is one thing you can do today that your future self will thank you for?

What is one insight or remembrance that you have encountered during this pandemic?

What are you grateful for today?

And of course, you can jump in anywhere else you feel called 🙂 

@Keera  Guess what?  I also have a son that is autistic, now being 35 and on his own.  I remember every day being in mindful awareness of everything.  You have to be because of the needs that are present.   You may not believe it but you already are doing some mindfulness meditation.  The mind having so much to do tends to feel like it is full and will explode.  Here you will find some recordings that will help with that.  Even the children, not sure the age, but it is possible it may help them also.  I know mine did like the touch meditation.  Visualizing a field of flowers or being on a cloud was helpful to relax.  I look forward to your postings.