Gillian Sanger

What is inspiring you right now?

What books are you all reading? What podcasts are you listening to? What is inspiring you to stay balanced, mindful, and present amidst the changing times? 

Personally, I have been immersed in the work of Charles Eisenstein lately. His essay 'The Coronation' really blew me away as it calls us to mindfully consider some tough questions as we navigate where we go from here. He is a remarkable philosopher!

Also, I listened to this short video by Ellen Emmet this morning (I shared elsewhere but will post it here as well). Her take on emotions is really beautiful and I appreciate the more 'feminine' approach to the necessity of venturing into the instinctual and emotional real of this flow.

• Like 2

For the past five weeks, every weekday at 11:00 AM Pacific time, I am joining a global "Mitigation" Retreat/Meditation (Cultivating Mindfulness at this Critical Moment") led by Jon Kabat-Zinn and practitioners from around the globe.  Learning from Jon live - guiding us in mediation, then doing a short teaching, followed by him taking questions from people randomly selected by the moderator Soren Gordhamer (Wisdom 2.0). This has been so helpful to me; I feel very connected with others around the globe and grounded in this practice. It also helps me set up some structure for my day. 

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, for those who are interested, you can stay on the Zoom session and we are invited to join a breakout room of between 5 and 12 people from all over the place and we check in and share with each other for 45 minutes!

If you are interested in joining in (they will be going on at least through May), go here: http://wisdom2conference.com/live
You can either join on Zoom or via YouTube (the Zoom sessions only hold 1,000 people and anyone who can't get in to Zoom session can go to YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhl4Grr46IolhzGhZ3agNw). I log in about 15 minutes before it begins.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mindfulness With Robyn said:

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, for those who are interested, you can stay on the Zoom session and we are invited to join a breakout room of between 5 and 12 people from all over the place and we check in and share with each other for 45 minutes!

This is a wonderful offering! Thank you for sharing this Robyn. It's great that you can then break into small groups to share and check in with one another.

I do quite a lot with my Journey 2 Joy 101, private facebook group.  And now opening my business Zenza Rocks.  I have a wonderful group and members.  Zenza Rocks is like a membership only with personal classes offered with the membership.  $10 per session and with a session a month membership to all intro videos and training in Qigong.  Study of Chinese Medicine and the Journey Around the Sun.  I teach how to co-exist in the universe of energy exchange.  According to our 4 main time channels in our life.  the day, year, season, season of life.  To be able to change within and have no resistance that causes illness and disease.  

It is slow going but very involved.  I have meditations everyday at 2pm anyone can join.  And My training for a second certification Chinese Medical Qigong on Tues, Wed, and Thursday at night.  

The $10 cost for Zenza Rocks is only offered until Mother's Day and then it goes to $20 until Fathers Day.  The Founding members will lock the price in forever.  There are only a couple days left.  zenzarocks.paige@gmail.com   

I love all the resources here, inspiration and community.  I am reading Tara Brach at this time.  Loving it.  Thank you everyone for sharing.  

• Like 2

As I'm on a mini vacation this week, I'm spending far more time in nature. We are at a small cabin just outside of Stockholm where it is clear that the birds and other forms of wildlife are thriving. I feel immensely connected to the world and at peace, inspired by the harmony of the natural landscape around me.

I'm curious if anyone else is finding new or renewed inspiration lately?

Good morning,

Your mini vacation sounds lovley @Gillian Evans. This weekend, I took Friday and Monday off work and had a nice long weekend. I spent a day visiting a lovely cottage. Here was the view. @Paige PIlegeI  am also continuing to read Tara Brock's book, Radical Acceptance.  Wishing you all the best with your business.  

image.thumb.png.65421782e6d5c83b153af26c24d1fc1a.png

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 6:01 AM, Gene Williams said:

Good morning,

Your mini vacation sounds lovley @Gillian Evans. This weekend, I took Friday and Monday off work and had a nice long weekend. I spent a day visiting a lovely cottage. Here was the view. @Paige PIlegeI  am also continuing to read Tara Brock's book, Radical Acceptance.  Wishing you all the best with your business.  

On 6/9/2020 at 6:01 AM, Gene Williams said:

Good morning,

Thank you so much.  My business is everyone else. lol.  I share in problem solving for others, basically asking if I can help them any.  I do free classes and then ask for membership at this point is all that works and a bare minimum on finances for others.  I love helping people and hearing about other accomplishments.  Even with the recent scamming in Marketplace at FB. I am doing just fine.  I finished her book and found it very valuable.  I left it all when fishing those 2 weeks pausing only to enjoy the nature and sounds and sights of the water and birds and storms.  A few meditations, much contemplation.  Take care.  

I am reading Dream Yoga by Andrew Holecek and have signed up for the Dream Support Team Club. I find it inspirational.

I still am reflecting on the impact of my last book, Conflict Is Not Abuse by Sarah Schulman. It basically stands for the proposition that conflict is inevitable in life and encourages us to engage in it with a commitment to kindness, understanding, and honesty. She contends that we also should kindly confront people when they fail to do so and be receptive to others doing the same with us. I think there is something very beautifully radical and inspirational in that.  It really approaches conflict as a means of supporting one and other in dealing with the inevitable intrusions and misunderstandings in life.

My little meditation group of 10 people or so inspires me because they show up on a regular basis (we meet weekly) and themselves demonstrate a commitment to honesty, kindness and mutual support. On our own time many of us partake of the online offerings of the Insight Meditation Center. https://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/ It hosts online mini-retreats and other programs that also include opportunities to meet in small breakout groups. Longer online retreats are available through its retreat center, http://insightretreatcenter.org

I was looking for something online to share with my group that briefly and effectively demonstrates how simply being willing to be present with what arises in us, welcoming it, and warmly receiving it with kindness can really lead to growth and openings for us. In the end, I used this TED talk which is not about mindfulness meditation at all. It is about a mother who uses Carol Dweck's Mindset program. She left me awestruck. I suspect many of us lack the insightfulness and resourcefulness of the speaker and would be blocked to the insights and revelations that seemed to come so easily to her once she found the right direction. It inspired me to send along her talk along with this message:

Most of us run from such unsettling things and erect the sort of "fixed ideas" and rationalizations that the mother describes so well. In so doing we block our ability to be warmhearted and compassionate by guarding our wounds. We become really good at hiding our pains and insecurities from ourselves, deceiving ourselves and trying to deceive others, for example by trying to make things out as though others were responsible for our problems or we ourselves were incapable of more. Being kindly and mindfully  aware of our present-moment embodied experience starts moving us toward allowing the processes of defensiveness and evasiveness to settle and ease. It helps make what discomforts us more visible and helps open our hearts to them, first revealing the coarser levels and later revealing the subtler ones. It starts opening new doors. It helps lead to the very growth, intimacy, integrity, and creativity that the mother describes from Mindset. So, the mindset with which we can start is one of loving-kindness to ourselves exactly as we are. It is more than o.k. to be human. Time and again we might find it the place from which we take the first tentative step forward. Moreover, we don't have to rush this process. Maybe it will take months before we even feel ready for a step; maybe we just need to fill-out our balance, confidence and ease right where we are for awhile.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing this David! I really resonate with and am interested in much of what Michelle brings up in this TED Talk, including:

1) This notion of focusing on what we do want, rather than what we don't.

2) Non-violent communication - I have been wanting to take a course in this for a long time!

3) Fixed vs. growth mindset - I've read a few articles on this in the past and often come back to it when I feel myself caught up in the feeling that I or someone else is fixed. I also really love the reminder to be less critical of oneself, practicing coming back to this idea of unconditional positive regard. Perhaps I will take up this exercise of daily non-judgmental reflection!

4) "Peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart." Rita Ghatourey

I also love Michelle's honesty, humour, and openness in this! ☺️