Gillian Sanger

What is one thing you can do today that your future self will thank you for?

• Administrators

This week's question asks:

What is one thing you can do today that your future self will thank you for?

Everyday we have thousands of opportunities to think, act, or move in ways that our future self would thank us for. What is something you can do today to nourish who you will be tomorrow and in days to come? Answers can include:

• Taking specific actions (i.e. avoiding a food or drink that unbalances you, meditating for some length of time, practicing yoga, going for a run, etc.)
  • Exploring more subtle actions (i.e. offering forgiveness, sending a letter of appreciation, offering someone a compliment, etc.)
  • Cultivating certain thoughts or beliefs (i.e. compassionately questioning the inner critic, shifting self-limiting thoughts in positive ways, etc.)
  • Setting an intention/making a commitment 
  • Anything else that calls to you

Share whatever comes to the mind with the group, and feel free to answer this question numerous times as each day will call for something different.

Hi @Gillian Sanger,

This is a powerful question. In the context of what I am experiencing today, my answer to your question involves cultivating certain thoughts/beliefs and setting an intention/commitment to my future self. 

As I process what I am experiencing today, I will be kind and compassionate to the emotions I experience and not resist them. I will also breath and remember that feeling these emotions does not make me powerless or ineffective. I will honor what I am experiencing and know that my ability to be with them makes me stronger and more effective.  

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

Gene

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Lovely reflection on this question Gene - thank you for sharing! Kindness and compassion towards our emotions is so powerful - and just allowing them to be as they are. On that note, I listened to this meditation by Jeff Foster this morning:

• Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

I have been using "Future Self" journaling prompts for over 100 days (thanks to a wonderful teacher named Dr. Nicole LePera- the Holistic Psychologist) and I find that this type of inquiry allows space for learning many interesting things about myself.

So for today...my future self will (hopefully) thank me for pausing before responding in the hectic day of working full time and home schooling two kids on my own.  I am working to cultivate more pause when I feel tension or stress rising in my body from the inevitable challenges that are present in our current circumstance.  Alongside this, I hope to be forgiving of myself when the pause doesn't go exactly as planned...knowing I will have endless moments to try again.

Wishing you all a day infused with light and ease.

Rachel 

• Like 3

Lovely question! Today I will do yoga, which always makes my body and spirit feel good. And I will make an effort to pay attention to my husband. Often, I get caught up in my busy-work and half-listen to him when he's talking to me, not even bothering to look at him while he's talking. I know it hurts his feelings, and later, when I reflect on my behavior, I feel bad too. Part of it is that I'm impatient when I'm in the middle of a task, but I can remind myself that nothing is that urgent that I can't set it aside and direct my full attention to my husband. 

• Like 1
  • Administrators
On 4/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Rachel said:

Alongside this, I hope to be forgiving of myself when the pause doesn't go exactly as planned...knowing I will have endless moments to try again.

I think this is so very important - the remembrance that we always have another opportunity to be present and to pause (literally in every moment). Thanks Rachel!

2 hours ago, Jo L said:

Lovely question! Today I will do yoga, which always makes my body and spirit feel good. And I will make an effort to pay attention to my husband. Often, I get caught up in my busy-work and half-listen to him when he's talking to me, not even bothering to look at him while he's talking. I know it hurts his feelings, and later, when I reflect on my behavior, I feel bad too. Part of it is that I'm impatient when I'm in the middle of a task, but I can remind myself that nothing is that urgent that I can't set it aside and direct my full attention to my husband. 

Thank you for sharing this @Jo L! Gene and I were talking about communication in another thread and I touched on this as well - the attention I grant (or don't grant) to my partner. What I'm trying to practice in these moments is to discern between 1) when I am not being present and need to shift my attention fully to my partner and 2) where I need to reaffirm my commitment to what I'm doing. I am getting better at saying (when its needed), 'I'll be with you in a few minutes. I'm just in the middle of something that needs my attention'.

Here's the conversation if you want to read more of it: 

• Like 2
  • Administrators

One thing I can do today that my future self will thank me for is to continually come back to my morning intention. This morning while lying in bed I decided that the words 'Take it easy' would be my guide for the day: to not take things too seriously, to relax, to enjoy the small things, to breathe and to rest. Both mind and body are calling for rest and relaxation right now, so I think my future self would be happy that I am prioritizing this lightness and ease of being.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Gillian Sanger said:

One thing I can do today that my future self will thank me for is to continually come back to my morning intention. This morning while lying in bed I decided that the words 'Take it easy' would be my guide for the day: to not take things too seriously, to relax, to enjoy the small things, to breathe and to rest. Both mind and body are calling for rest and relaxation right now, so I think my future self would be happy that I am prioritizing this lightness and ease of being.

Hi @Gillian Sanger, I had an intense work day yesterday and this is also exactly what I need to do today. So, following your lead Gillian, I will also "take it easy" today, not take things too seriously, relax, enjoy the small things, breath and rest!!

I also believe that my future self will appreciate making self care a priority.

Kind Regards,

Gene

• Like 1
On 5/2/2020 at 12:42 AM, Gillian Sanger said:

That's great Gene! I hope you had a calm and relaxing day 🙂

Hi Gillian,

I did have a more calming and relaxing day. I really notice how my field of awareness and "space" for mindfulness narrows when I am caught up in the trance of "busy-ness". And when it is compounded with being stuck in a flow of worrying about things, it feels like a perfect emotional storm. Then I experience free flowing anxiety.  

The one thing I can do for myself today that my future self will appreciate is focusing on being mindful today. Being aware of thoughts, feelings and emotions is a pattern interrupt that brings me back to the moment. 

I hope all is well with you!

Regards,

Gene

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Lovely intention you've set for the day @Gene Williams - simply to be mindful!

I am doing well, although I woke up and found it hard to get motivated (which could have something to do with my partner being home today when he'd normally be at work; it felt like a long weekend!). However, what we both decided to do was to get into our bodies through dance. We turned on some music and just let ourselves free flow. It was such a welcomed reset for the day! Highly recommended for anyone feeling ungrounded/unfocused.

A couple of the songs we moved to were:

Walking on a Dream - Empire of the Sun
Crystalised - The xx

... in case anyone wants some inspiration 🙂

I love that idea Gillian! I rarely dance but always feel so good when I do. Great advice Gene- I'll take that is as well. 

For me, I'm going to do yoga this morning and allow myself to read for hours today without feeling like I need to be doing something "productive" like cleaning.😝

• Like 2